What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning up the construction mess around the new coop.
I looked at the Startlink equipment last night. They didn't provide any mounting brackets and no instructions. They had a piece of paper with pictures showing it set up on the ground and pictures showing using the internet to set it up. If I had internet here I wouldn't need their GD equipment. Sometimes in the back yard I get a marginal signal, like now, but not in the front of the house.

I cleaned the Subaru last night..
I thought a mouse maybe had moved in and died in it somewhere..it was smelling nasty.

It was getting pretty dirty since I haul the pups around in it and I'm one of those folks who tend to toss stuff in .

So last week I bought a steak..yea..I thought the steak was put in with the chicken grocery bag and tossed it in the freezer.

Nope..it was in the back hatchback area marinating in the car for a week in it's own grocery bag.

I almost puked..I had gloves on thankfully..

So the car got cleaned, vacuumed, thankfully the back has one of those weather rubber mat things..everything got cleaned and 3 air fresheners installed last night.

Going to take the pups for a short walk, and relax the rest of the day. I wouldn't be surprised if they call me in to show up the mountain at 5am..which means I get up at 0315ish. I think I'll ignore it if they do. I'm tired..

I have noticed that if I ride my motorcycle to church, the ride home takes at least twice as long as the ride there. Beautiful here today, 67, sunny, and breezy.
Trying to decide if I should rest this afternoon, or go back out on the bike, or try to do more chores. Still sore and tired from my week off work. Both greenhouses are within a day or two of being ready for plastic; electric is run to a panel next to the greenhouse, still have to run lines inside and add plugs; and the excavating is done at the foundation wall for running the new gas line out of the basement.
I also made the trip to the big box store and picked up the gas line and fittings that I ordered; they of course screwed up the order and I'm missing a reel of tracer wire. The guy that brought the line out just shoved it into the back of my truck before I could quite move the fence rail out of the way. Forced my arms into a bad position trying to save the side of my truck from scratches, and even though I hollered at him to stop for a second, he just kept shoving the line in and jammed it against one of the brackets for the tonneau cover, putting a gouge in it. Sure hope that didn't compromise my expensive purchase! Of course I didn't see the gouge until I got home and unloaded everything.
The Amish have my roof half-done, and I'm very happy with the extension I had them put on over the porch.

I have noticed that if I ride my motorcycle to church, the ride home takes at least twice as long as the ride there. Beautiful here today, 67, sunny, and breezy.
Trying to decide if I should rest this afternoon, or go back out on the bike, or try to do more chores. Still sore and tired from my week off work. Both greenhouses are within a day or two of being ready for plastic; electric is run to a panel next to the greenhouse, still have to run lines inside and add plugs; and the excavating is done at the foundation wall for running the new gas line out of the basement.
I also made the trip to the big box store and picked up the gas line and fittings that I ordered; they of course screwed up the order and I'm missing a reel of tracer wire. The guy that brought the line out just shoved it into the back of my truck before I could quite move the fence rail out of the way. Forced my arms into a bad position trying to save the side of my truck from scratches, and even though I hollered at him to stop for a second, he just kept shoving the line in and jammed it against one of the brackets for the tonneau cover, putting a gouge in it. Sure hope that didn't compromise my expensive purchase! Of course I didn't see the gouge until I got home and unloaded everything.
The Amish have my roof half-done, and I'm very happy with the extension I had them put on over the porch.
Take a nice ride!!😃

Last night the wife and I went take a shower and discovered that we had no water. So I went down to the pump house with a flashlight to see what happened. The warning light on the generator was flashing and the code said low oil shutdown. The oil was bearly below the full mark on the dipstick. I had to add some oil and set the generator back on auto. I was planning on changing it today too. It's about time to switch over to 10W30 anyway.

Cleaning up the construction mess around the new coop.
I looked at the Startlink equipment last night. They didn't provide any mounting brackets and no instructions. They had a piece of paper with pictures showing it set up on the ground and pictures showing using the internet to set it up. If I had internet here I wouldn't need their GD equipment. Sometimes in the back yard I get a marginal signal, like now, but not in the front of the house.

Sat setup is mostly line of sight, there is a program for most cell phones that will give you the track all you do is pick the sat you are wanting and it will give you a spot on the picture so you can tell if you have any obstruction.

(Starlink setup says all of those things are programmed into their setup systems and available to users)

Everyone who sets up and sat systems uses them.

I did that for many years with a mirrored lensatic compass and angle finder.

What say Snowman? any ideas?

Last edited:
Sat setup is mostly line of sight, there is a program for most cell phones that will give you the track all you do is pick the sat you are wanting and it will give you a spot on the picture so you can tell if you have any obstruction.

Starlink setup says all of those things are programmed into their setup systems an available to users

Everyone who sets up and sat systems uses them.

I did that for many years with a mirrored lensatic compass and angle finder.

What say Snowman? any ideas?
How is that going to work when I don't have cell service on my phone in the area where i want to put the dish?

Don't know if it will or not you cant download it anyway if you cant get cell service or internet for the phone.

As for the program once you download it if the cell phone can get your GPS position it uses that to draw an azimuth from the GPS ground position to the sat. it can give you probable obstructions in the line of sight.

You can do it online with this
Code:
https://www.dishpointer.com/

1725825539347.png

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/starlink-starter-kit-how-to-get-it-and-set-it-up

The satellite-based Starlink internet service unlocks excellent speeds pretty much anywhere you can see the sky. Here’s what you need to know and how to get started.

For more than two years, I've been testing Starlink, checking out the latest dish and router hardware, measuring Starlink speeds, and finding out whether the popular satellite internet service is deserving of all those top customer satisfaction scores and Best ISP awards.

But I'm not just a reviewer—I'm also a customer. Starlink connects my home in rural Idaho, providing the speed and reliability I need to live the life of a tech journalist. It also connects my wife and kids, providing speedy internet for smart TVs, tablets, game systems, and phones. And I can tell you, while the service itself is great, installing the dish and router is the hardest part.

Professional Starlink installation services do exist. You can line one up through Starlink's own website, if you're willing to pay a little extra. But if you're comfortable with climbing a ladder and maybe using some basic power tools, installing it yourself is free.

Here's our guide to getting Starlink equipment, setting up your dish, and installing the Starlink router. We'll also share a few extra tips for enjoying the best service Starlink provides.

What Is Starlink?​

For those who aren't familiar with it, Starlink is a satellite internet service from SpaceX, Elon Musk's commercial space business. Using thousands of low-Earth-orbit (LEO) satellites, it's a way to get high-speed internet to nearly everyone, even people who live far from the usual cable and fiber networks that most ISPs rely on. It's not as fast as those alternatives, but in rural areas where DSL and satellite are your only options, it's the better performer of the two, by far.

It's not a perfect solution, and it can be a bit expensive from month to month, but as a full-time Starlink user, I've been a happy customer. You can learn more about Starlink internet plans, service, and equipment in our full review.

How to Get Starlink​

Getting Starlink is easier than it has ever been. With installation kits sold through retailers like Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, and Walmart, the waitlists and limited availability of years past are over. Wherever you live in North America (and much of the world), Starlink is available and ready to provide speedy service.

Starlink Installation Kit Contents​

The Starlink installation kit comes with everything you need to get going: A Starlink dish, complete with kickstand, and a Starlink router base unit. (Learn more about the latest Starlink equipment here.) It also includes a Starlink power cable for the base unit and a 75-foot Starlink cable for connecting the router to the dish.

1725825736821.png

1725825757629.png

The box includes a fairly simple instruction sheet with illustrations and no text (though you'll also find a QR code that connects you to Starlink's support website). After glancing through the instructions, you might think that you only need to plug in the router and power adapter and then point the dish at the sky. But it's a little more complicated than that. You'll also need to properly position the dish, mount it using a Starlink dish mount, and probably run a cable through an exterior wall. We've got handy instructions for all of these steps. Read on for our best Starlink installation tips.

It's 80° and sunny! Totally crazy!! But the pool is in full sun right now and Bear has a nice clean doggie pool awaiting him, so we are going to take a pool break! 🍺🌞 Hubby is over in his shop giving his truck some much needed attention, oil change, new plugs, etc.! So I'm off to watch the birds and the deer and Buddy! Will feed Bear and the cats in a little less than an hour! Buddy will get his brushing and hay later.

It's been a busy or boring day today, depending on the moment. Got up, got some food, sat around a long time, cooked up said food, went for a city version of a hike, hung out at a park, came back, collected my stuff, drove home and now I am fully engaged in lazy Sunday. Might watch a movie or something later but otherwise I have no plans from this point forward.

How is that going to work when I don't have cell service on my phone in the area where i want to put the dish?

OK, I just asked hubby. We have starlink. Do you have a cell phone? (not cell service)

If you do, you need to go where you can get internet, download the app and!!!!! set up an account at the same time. You can't do squat until they have a way to collect payments.

Once you have done this, you can go home and pair your cell phone with your star link equipment and follow the instructions you will then receive.

Starlink Installation Kit Contents​

The Starlink installation kit comes with everything you need to get going: A Starlink dish, complete with kickstand, and a Starlink router base unit. (Learn more about the latest Starlink equipment here.) It also includes a Starlink power cable for the base unit and a 75-foot Starlink cable for connecting the router to the dish.

View attachment 161755

View attachment 161756

The box includes a fairly simple instruction sheet with illustrations and no text (though you'll also find a QR code that connects you to Starlink's support website). After glancing through the instructions, you might think that you only need to plug in the router and power adapter and then point the dish at the sky. But it's a little more complicated than that. You'll also need to properly position the dish, mount it using a Starlink dish mount, and probably run a cable through an exterior wall. We've got handy instructions for all of these steps. Read on for our best Starlink installation tips.
That looks like the kit I got. I guess I have to get on their site to buy a mounting kit. Won't do me much good sitting on the ground like that. If we go to town tomorrow I'll try to get on their site.

My life just got a tad more interesting..

Went n took pups on a small hike n swimmy..
I noticed a bunch of pine needles n pine cones drop outta some trees and noticed the tree tops swaying pretty good. I wasn't getting much in wind but up higher it was so I head back to the creek.
Get into town and notice a lot of smoke n big clouds building up south..stop by store n grab a few items..head home and the fire complex I was watching Friday night is blowing up..winds , heat n low humidity and they are pretty impressive. I had a video but it says it's too big to post here.
Work ..like I predicted asked me to come in early and I ignored it for my hike to think about it. Decided to say ok because I want to take a long weekend in October.
But I texted them back n said if this gets worse my way, my plans might change. One of the bosses I was texting has been watching it blow up from returning from boise area so they understand my plans are subject to change at the moment.
I have insurance..so..just going to throw some paperwork n my go bag in the car or truck n hope it doesn't get worse..

Attachments

• 20240908_154531.jpg
    20240908_154531.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240908_154827.jpg
    20240908_154827.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 0
That looks like the kit I got. I guess I have to get on their site to buy a mounting kit. Won't do me much good sitting on the ground like that. If we go to town tomorrow I'll try to get on their site.
Do as Clem says, find free Internet via Stores, Fast Food, Gas Stations, etc :

OK, I just asked hubby. We have starlink. Do you have a cell phone? (not cell service)

If you do, you need to go where you can get internet, download the app and!!!!! set up an account at the same time. You can't do squat until they have a way to collect payments.

Once you have done this, you can go home and pair your cell phone with your star link equipment and follow the instructions you will then receive.

Yeah the little stand is on there as a mount, you can probably mount it firmly to any flat surface with the stand strapped to something you can reach to sweep snow off of easily in the winter to keep the antenna clear, if not take some of the scrap from the build and make a stable mount for it.

The idea with the newer antenna is it is not mobile and does not track for itself.

Unless you are going to be able to move it on occasion where you mount it you may want to keep it simple and closer to the ground so you can.
@Snowman Knew you had the inside scoop on everything TV bro, 👍

Last edited:
Yeah the little stand is on there as a mount, you can probably mount it firmly to any flat surface with the stand strapped to something you can reach to sweep snow off of easily in the winter to keep the antenna clear, if not take some of the scrap from the build and make a stable mount for it.
Yeah. I was thinking about mounting it on an 8' post rather than the house. Our TV dish is mounted on the upstairs roof. In winter I have to climb out the window to sweep off the dish. I think an 8' post would be easier to clean the snow off. Depending on what direction I have to point this thing, I might be able to install it less than 10' from the house.

Yeah. I was thinking about mounting it on an 8' post rather than the house. Our TV dish is mounted on the upstairs roof. In winter I have to climb out the window to sweep off the dish. I think an 8' post would be easier to clean the snow off. Depending on what direction I have to point this thing, I might be able to install it less than 10' from the house.
Gen 2 Starlink has a melt feature I am sure a Gen3 does too.
Also has a sleep feature. That may be important to you with power draw.
Gen 3 uses about half the power of G2.

Why do I know this? I have a mini for the camper too as well.

I had a very quiet afternoon, badly needed. I re-processed the 1.5quarts of usnea. I trim a lot closer than my friend. She’s used to prepping veggies from the garden, marginal is okay. If a plant is marginal I don’t want it in a medicine and toss it.

After grinding I had 121g of powder. I put 21g in another jar for a wound powder. I’ll add yarrow which is ready to harvest on my porch. Maybe add some sida if I can find a few plants. But I can do that later in the week.

I added 250g of water to the usnea powder and put it in the insta-pot at 170 degrees. I’ll heat it for 48hrs. Then I’ll add 250g of pure grain alcohol then treat it like any other tincture.

A good day, fix supper in a bit then watch a little tv.

20240908_182013a.jpg

Last edited:
Survived the state fair with little granddaughter, and now I'm in the recliner with an ice pack on my back. Sciatica is still bothering me, so all that walking was a challenge. It was a blast, though, fun to spoil her intensely. Went on the scary boat ride in Ye Olde Mill (ha) which is a yearly tradition, and scares the daylights out of her. Saw the blue ribbon pumpkin (1100 lbs), all the 4H animals, the poultry building, the butter sculpture for this year...it was a full sized cow and calf. Very impressive. Watched a ventriloquist performance, had cobbler and ice cream, fancy coffee, she had a Boba tea and a root beer float, too. Went on a bunch of midway rides. Bought her some new hippy like overalls, and a Jesus tie dye shirt. Wore me out!

Another weekend done
3 more weeks and its October 2024
This Sunday was raining most of the day
43f right now and breezy :)
Dancing flames fire was nice and relaxing
with a hot green tea and honey

Everybody are fed and they are quiet now
I will try to sleep tonight

8.30 pm now I will go to bed when I will feel asleep
Sleep well ... all of you whenever... 💤

Some friends came over around noon and stayed a couple hours visiting. He brought me some Memphis dry rub seasoning he makes. We love that stuff. Gave them a couch we didnt like. Gonna get the wife a recliner.
When they left we went and picked up some scripts. Then to Rural King to get some chicken feed. Stopped at a new resturant for supper. It was pretty good.
Got home and put the feed in buckets, fed and watered the birds. Started packing for our trip to Vanderbilt. Hopefully they can give us some good news for fixing my heart

Spray some Silicone Spray or what-ever Werks...

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/water-repellent-spray/

Back