What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran the bushhog for several hours this afternoon. Finished the pasture by the hwy then started on the ‘high’ field. It wasn’t bad, only took an hr or so to finish it. Called it a day at that point. Will start on the main pasture, maybe tomorrow. Have other obligations then…

Found out tonight that the Native American festival starts tomorrow at the Moundville Archaeological Park. Carp! I have so much that I need to do… but I missed the festival last year. I really want to attend at least one day, tomorrow is out, maybe friday will work. Saturday will be the weekend crowd with kids, don’t need to fight a big crowd.

https://moundville.museums.ua.edu/
Looks like a great festival. I wish I could go.

We left Memphis a little bit ago. 7 hours to go. Looking forward to getting off this train.
Safe journeys Snappy.

I love going by train. It forces the mind to slow down and encourages mind-wandering while looking out the window.

No appts today. Been filling carts for three days straight. Time to get those cupboards painted. Dave the builder guy won't be back till next week, and he said he'd get all the new hardware put on for me. Screen porch is almost done, needing the door on. We have so many doors left here, some 100 yrs old. He's redoing a wooden screen door found in one of our outbuildings for the porch. I'll just repaint it.
So taking care of husband, animal chores, and keeping the pup busy today. Lots of laundry, cooking, and getting some paint on those old cupboards.

We're getting ready to make a trip down south. We're going to look at camper vans, boats and a stop at Cabelas. It'll be a long day, 3 hours down and 3 hours back.
On Sunday a builder is coming out to give me an estimate on building a parking garage for the ATV's and snow blowers. I was going to build it myself but I'd like to have it done before it starts snowing.
Probably on Saturday I'll go pick up 12' of 2" pipe so I can set up the Starlink in a permanent location. I bought an additional 120' of cable, that should be enough to reach an open area.

still no internet and no update on when they will fix it. Power still on. I made bread dough today to bake tomorrow , did laundry and animals care.
If you don't hear from me for a few days it's because we have no internet. Not sure how much longer I can use a phone hot spot till Verizon cuts us off or we get a huge bill
I ordered a cheap 200 watt solar panel from Temu. First item over $20 I have ordered from there, we'll see if it is ok when it gets here. If it is I will buy 3 more, that should give us enough watts to run all the freezers ( we already have 800)
I calculated the min required yesterday and we need 1600 watts of panels.
The most expensive part of adding to the solar is the batteries. The ones we have are now $200 a piece ( we have 4 and need 8)

Still haven't fixed our rusted water pipe but it held up during the storm, so now I am slightly less worried about it. Plus we have a lot of neighbors with a lot of equipment to help fix stuff ( like the road) .

If you live in a relatively isolated rural area, I would suggest you get prepared really fast if you are not already for anything , there is nobody out there to fix your problems if a major disaster happens. I am very glad we are not 100 or so miles south of here

Animals taken care of, baby turkey moved to the big milkhouse cage. Got three buckets of tomatoes and peppers picked, washed, put away....husband breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks, coffee ice water, other medical junk....cooked 4 whole chickens, stripped the meat, put in smaller bags for the freezer, a ton of dishes, 4 loads of laundry done and hung, and misc other weirdness.....I need to get motivated and paint some cupboards. Ha. Here I go......

Got up, worked out, nodded at my Challenger buddy, cleaned up, busted a woman claiming to be injured and unable to work, met the daughter at the shooting range for some trial and error gun shopping, bought a gun that I will retain ownership of in accordance with state law, came back to the apartment and started working on dinner. Lady should be home soon and wants to talk about $ stuff, so I will also probably end up taking a nap.

Forgot to add that I also went and checked out this car. I have no plans to replace Charlene, but sometimes a man wants two cars so he can coordinate his vehicle with his mood or outfit or whatever. What do you think? I may hold out for the F8 Green but the gunmetal gray is nice too.

Challenger.jpg

Charlene for reference:

shaker2.jpg

Forgot to add that I also went and checked out this car. I have no plans to replace Charlene, but sometimes a man wants two cars so he can coordinate his vehicle with his mood or outfit or whatever. What do you think? I may hold out for the F8 Green but the gunmetal gray is nice too.

View attachment 163829

Charlene for reference:

View attachment 163830
Hey, that's my car exactly. But it's ten yrs old

A couple of friends came over yesterday and helped me get plastic on one of two greenhouses. Progress!
I also pulled the trigger and bought a big expensive zero turn lawnmower. I dithered quite a bit, it's so hard for me to make a decision. I got a good price as it's the model year close out, and it's a local dealer so I can get parts and help if something breaks. More expensive that picking up one at HD, but from reading the reviews there would have been a good chance of a HD version not working or being put together properly and of course no service after the sale. I hope it turns out to be a good decision.

Gunmetal grey one
V8
And it's an automatic so you would hate it.
It has the paddles on the steering wheel

Then it's not an R/T scat pack. Still, better than owning something gross like a Mustang or Camaro or -blech- a Tesla.

Oh, and mine doesn't have a name. I call it
My Car

So if you get another one are you going to call it "My other Car"?

Back