What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the afternoon running the bush hog. Started down in the bottoms, just the upper pasture, barely 25yds wide, maybe 150yrds long. 3 year round springs form a small creek. It was a mess, hadn’t been bush hogged in a couple years, saplings 10-12ft tall. Got it done but scratched my eye, not bad but enough to be annoying. A vine caught on the hay spike then broke. It flew back and hit me in the face.

Then I bush hogged around the main pasture, 25 acres. Just around the edges. Temps in the 70’s, a nice way to spend an afternoon.

The bottoms, before then after… then the road out...

20241015_132425a.jpg
20241015_141014a.jpg
20241015_141256a.jpg

it's cold! Had the wood stove on this morning for the first time since spring. But it's only October. At this rate we will be needing more wood before winter even starts
The good thing is warm shower today and I don't need to heat it in a pot first
Animals are all in the barn, it rained on and off today plus freezing tonight and they don't have winter fur yet, so in they went
We didn't go anywhere but the truck is loaded for the dump. Husband is borderline horder LOL, he wants to keep so much old useless stuff like old records from the 60s that belonged to his parents ( and we have no way of playing) , a box of old tests from college , a box of old phones and misc electrical crap that no longer works and so on
We did agree to toss a freezer than no longer works and 2 old mattresses

Got my sweet taters dug. That was mostly a crop failure. I never got my soaker hoses on them this year, was feeling too bad. Drought took its toll. There was some left over purple taters in there, got several nice taters from those. Also got several Yukon Golds that were missed when we dug those. Small plants but the taters were good sized.
Sorted out all my stored taters and onions. The yellow onions are doing well well, but the red onions are done. Threw the rest of those out. My taters are holding up good too.
Figured out real quick I'm not back to normal yet. Had to stop and take 4 breaks while fiddling around today.

Already Tuesday October 15th 2024

My day was full

Starting for Cats and Dane Girl care before I left home
I was back home at 4 pm and had to unload the car

I still have 5 x almost 50 lbs of cat litter in the car
I will unload tomorrow..not supposed to rain

More wood to stack later this week
*not supposed to rain for few days

Ate again some leftovers /tuski LOL
Now sipping a Vodka Pepsi
I wish to sleep soon ..hopefully now its 8.24 pm

I did start fire in woodstove
Sleep well

Surprised you don't process them yourself, Mt Trapper. It's not hard.
Busy afternoon....pharmacy, lab drop off, Dollar Tree loaded cart, and then picked up a freezer at Home Depot. Got home, little granddaugher and I unloaded it in the garage by the house. The downed freezer was in the milkhouse, so we wagoned all the frozen meat to the new freezer. That took awhile, but I got things organized while I was at it. Next door farm neighbor Marlon came by to check husband's Wrangler scooter tires, husband thought one was flat. He filled all of them up, and will check them again tomorrow.

Well I guess this is as good a place to post a heya if any!
Been off social media and such for a bit, have been working away at the homestead -- finally got the permits for the house, quonset hut is done, chicken coop up and garden drawn out. This has been a much slower process than I thought.
My son joined the Navy and is away at boot camp just north of Chicago.
Been working like crazy, getting some medical articles published and some chapters in some book done.
But for today, I made flat bread pizza, my daughter is coming over, as well as some neighbors in our little townhouse complex and we are going to watch the football game tonight!
Hope everyone has a great night.
Nice to see you Doctor Jenner.

Talked to my Irishman this morning.
Seem some little person shared her head cold with me.
We had a Granny's Sleepover on Saturday evening.
My little cooking buddy learned how to make dumplings.
So we made chicken and dumplings.
She learned how to make chicken salad.
Those recipes are going in Granny's Favorite recipes cookbooks.
Puttering today.

Latest posts

Back