What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
October 19th 2024
9.15 pm I feel like its 11 pm
58f its warm and a bit of light rain
Tomorrow and Friday supposed to be sunny

Glad that day is over ..almost
Was busy here and there since the start of the week almost :rolleyes:

Now I sit with Shiraz and try to relax hopefully sleeping deeply

Wish you will sleep well too and be cozy

**Turning hope into dreams, you can learn to fly!**

Didn’t seem like I got much done today but did get some things finished up: finished the ironing :dancing: yep, that one deserves a happy dance. It’s been lingering and every time I did laundry made more when I thought I was done.
Baked a loaf of sourdough- turned out great. I reworked my starter before using it this time. Made a batch of pecan pie bark so I could return a dish. Pa and hubby both approved. Covered the peppers and 3 tomato plants since it’s supposed to get close to freezing.
Received our ballots (we have mail in only). Now I have to decide who to vote for 😂.
My wife has been trying to make sourdough bread for a couple years now. On her first attempt it kinda fell flat and was like eating a 2×6. It tasted good but I needed a chisel to cut it.

My wife has been trying to make sourdough bread for a couple years now. On her first attempt it kinda fell flat and was like eating a 2×6. It tasted good but I needed a chisel to cut it.
When I first started making Sourdough Bread "Hockey Puck" was what mine was like. Or "Clay Pigeon" except you could throw it several times. I did varnish one used it as door stop for awhile. It finally disappeared.

I've not made sourdough, but have been experimenting with different grain breads. 9 grain and quinoa bread so far is husband's favorite. Using a bread machine, time saving for sure. Neighbor was over this evening because he's starting his cleanup before it's his time to host church, and he likes to store excess farm equipment in our roundtop before church. We started talking about bread for some weird reason, and his wife picked up a bucket of some special kind of grain down the road at a home place that's selling that I never heard of. So maybe I'll get an in there. Gave him a sample of 9 grain and some chopped nine grain to bring home. Second amish person now that wants to rig up a bread machine to solar. Although he pointed out that for Sunday service, they need about 8 loaves.

My grad is on today but can't attend, so I'm going to watch it online; other than that, just the usual chores then writing. Had induction this week for my PhD;of course I was the oldest there :D but fellow researchers were very nice, and some really interesting research going on. I have the feeling the three years are going to fly by. The weather is incredibly mild for the time of year- Storm Ashley passed us by with no issues, but there is more torrential rain on the way- and I think the following week the cold is to come in. The clock hasn't changed yet but already the days are shorter - everything is still growing though!

finished the rearranging project. Just need to clean the floor now
Husband and son are still working on the solar panels...I asked them yesterday if it will be done this year....
Did laundry yesterday too
today no major plans other than cleaning , might drive the Yukon to the gas station and fill it up , hope it starts

I can post how I make my sourdough bead if anyone wants it. It sells well , it's soft and chewey
My sourdough rye is dense and harder but it is supposed to be that way

Why is it women ...manage... mens stuff when they get into there ..nesting mood.. and not big bunch of ...shoes, purses, scarves... you name it on there 9/10 of the closet ?? Why is there never money for a fishing reel that will last for years, but the toilet gets matching rug, tank top, seat carpet 5-6 times a year ?? Why isn't there a medication for this ??

Don't get me started...
Not me either!!! I have to smoke some weed before I get myself into the walmart to just do the grocery shopping....
And I hate useless clutter in the house.

Argghhh! Boxes.
You know if something breaks anyway (like a tv with an extended warantee), no need to keep the box This happened. You take a photo of the ID numbers of the tv, and they send you another one. Same with the ice maker. I found that happens this year. Since husband can't get out and shop, he buys stuff online and has it delivered. Sooo many boxes. You don't have to save them. Really.
I will take a photo of our pile when I get done...you have to see it to believe it!

Little granddaughter has a half day school today and is off tomorrow, so that'll change things up a bit here. Supposed to be high 80's today, too, which I can't even imagine for almost the end of October. Going to fill a cart at Aldi this afternoon, and stop in at the Walmart across the street for more turkey if they have anymore. Got one last week for 88 cents a lb, and cooked that for freezer meat. Hoping to get a couple more to roast. My single hatched turkey, the last one I incubated is a hen, so she gets spared this year. Typically only butcher excess toms, and they aren't laying anymore till spring. I'll keep the dozen I have for my breeding stock.

It's 24 degrees this morning, highs today will probably in the upper 40's. Once the frost melts off the chicken coop roof I'll get the tar paper nailed down. This really isn't a very big project but 101 things keep getting in the way. Like today I need to clean the chimney on the fur shed. The chimney is on the north side of the roof so the ice probably won't melt off. And there's no snow on the ground to break my fall like last time. I have to level the wood shed today, we need to start putting the firewood away before the snow comes.

Way busy, yesterday. After walk, I took my friend to town. We went to Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Verizon store, Lowes, Aldi, Walmart and then home. Did monthly shopping a week early because one never knows what may happen.

Today I will walk with Bo in a bit.
Walk dogs.
Write ebay drafts.
Take ebay photos.
Bible study this evening.
Water roses.
Much easier day!

I have an emergency/ funeral dress.
That's all I have too. Probably way too big.

Uh-oh! Still curious why a dozen state people were looking at the land by my house. Had a thought this morning and spent an hour digging through news articles. Alabama’s prison system as been in trouble for years with the feds. Old antiquated facilities and overcrowding being the 2 main reasons.

3 big modern prisons are currently under construction in other parts of the state. They are the 1st tier projects and will house the bulk of prisoners. The 1st one to open late next year. None are close to me… then I found a list of all the DOC facilities on the chopping block.

Next county over from me has a small facility for aged and infirmed prisoners. The prison system ‘old folks home’. It’s 50yrs old, the few buildings are in bad shape. It sits on a 15acre property. It is on the list for ‘possible’ replacement. Nothing written in stone, no monies allocated...

Hmm, makes me wonder.

----------------------------

No plans for the day but new strings for my guitar. Saturday is the last bluegrass event of the year on Pine Mtn. No winter events on the schedule. I'd like to go play under the trees one more time before it gets cold.

Latest posts

Back