What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goats are expensive here also - especially the pygmies.
I'm on a mission to use up craft materials and make some money, so I made some felted pictures (pictures in felted thread). Dinner (chicken pot pie) and back to crafting for the evening. Pretty boring really, but nice.

Got a call from Dental SA clinic at Mount Gambier hospital this morning just before half past 11 to confirm my 1pm appointment for Wednesday unaware that the receptionist would say that a last minute cancellation had happened for a 2:30pm appointment being a silly opportunistic bugger I am snapped up the appointment

It took 3 lots of local anesthetic, some drilling and 2 types of pliers to get as much of my impacted back right hand side bottom molar out since referring me to Adelaide for dental surgery was out of question the head dentist got his intern dental student to put in 2 sutures allowing for the gum to heal over what is left from extraction
I sat at the dentist for a couple of hrs today, and still can't feel the right side of my face. Two fillings, a back molar pulled. Pain in the butt. Took forever waiting, he was so busy. They almost numbed and pulled the wrong tooth.

Leaving now ...will drive and drive and drive
to grocery store ..have to take the highway
See ya later
Don't forget to get some gasoline for the mower...!!! :thumbs:

Just got home, had a fast lunch, heading for a nap!!
How is Bear?

Walked first and then walked dogs.
Worked in Church for a while.
Finally came home and got a shower.
Finished the laundry from yesterday.
Having fajitas for dinner again.

Slept through my alarm. Mom woke me up and wanted food so I popped some frozen ravioli in the microwave. Put mozzarella on top and we both ate some. Still not much of an appetite so I only ate a little bit. Infection has spread to my other ear. Swollen lump behind it and it hurts to yawn or chew. Started putting drops in that ear. Other ear feels a lot better. had a fever again. It broke while I was napping and I woke up drenched in sweat. I think the AC isn't cooling like it should be but I'm too tired to mess with it.

Cats had another fight and managed to break a glass measuring cup.

Fippy is with Mom in her room. Princess is in here with me (and a bunch of cats). She's decided to burrow under laundry and blankets that she's made into a nest. Most of the cardboard boxes are for the cats to climb in-- although the monitor one has a broken monitor in it and needs to be tossed out. All that is visible of Princess is a foot and her tail.
1722984576768.png

I have added a new resident to my personal living space. Limonjalo the lime tree. I decided when I made Pico the other night for fajitas that I would follow @Hooch's suggestion, I believe, and add some green to the place. Plus if they steal my property and leave me homeless, I will still be able to make a mojito. Nothing says still doing okay like a back alley mojito made in an old McDonald's cup.

I meant your neighbor's that are getting into your pasture.
they got them back yesterday and put the rocks back they removed from the hole under the fence....not sure why they did that, but we put the rocks there ( large rocks) to keep goats from going under. The fence is in a very steep section so there are always gaps. We also added electric tape to the bottom, but ours don't touch the tape anymore ( they know it's hot) so we don't currently have a charge on it

went swimming :) I could only do 20 laps , did 30 at the end of winter when we went almost every week. But my body felt pretty good after. Did not help husband's knee however, so I did the shopping by myself while he sat in the car
Shopping done!
Got home and cooked really late and just got done with dishes and animals chores. Busy day

Checked the thermostat and it was up to 76. It's supposed to be 70. Ugh. Poured bleach down condensate line, put cap on tight (on the condensate line), changed the HVAC filter, turned AC off from wifi controls for about 10min then turned it back on, went outside to confirm compressor is running and it is.

Headache is back and I'm tired and uncoordinated. Still haven't cleaned up broken glass. Waiting for Mom to tell me what she wants to eat. Setting up curbside order with Walmart since I won't feel like going inside (except for the mlik, but I might just send my brother in).

Spoke to Dad’s doctor. The mass he removed was malignant. Now need to meet with him for the next step. Dr told me not to worry so I’m doing my best to not worry.

Plugging away at my training for giving immunizations and my certification continuing education credits.

I'm so sorry @Tommyice ... I understand...

Got too hot harvesting crossvine last Friday. Was in no shape to harvest Saturday but did it anyway. Was dragging by Sunday, only got 25% of the crossvine processed. Felt better yesterday, started processing again. Then had to take dad to the er, spent 3hrs waiting.

They said he had covid, positive test, what ever. Doc prescribed plaxlovid per hosp policy, she spoke to me on the side. Said several friends had used it. Every single one got horrible side effects.

I didn’t want to get it but was worried about the insurance. Happened with mom recently… Was prescribed something at an er visit. Niece didn’t fill it for some reason. But mom’s insurance company raised hell when it came time to pay for the entire er visit. All because she didn’t get the med she was prescribed. I don’t know the particulars, was only given the highlights.

So, I figured best to fill dad’s script, he didn’t have to take it when he got home. I knew my antivirals would knock the flu out no problem. Went to walleys, they wanted $1743.00 for plaxlovid. Full price, some kind of insurance issue. $17***#^, for flu medicine? What ever happened to chicken soup and a quilt? Is there a shortage?

Took an hour for the techs to figure out, suddenly it was free, not even a copay. What? :rolleyes: So dad’s got the flu, been mixing him tinctures every 4hrs, since 6am. Just gave him the last round before his bed time.

But, since I was up all today. I got the rest of the crossvine processed. Debating whether to make the tinctures tonight or tomorrow, leaning towards tomorrow. Gonna be 7 or 8 quarts of finished tincture. Good news, I won’t need to harvest crossvine for the next 10yrs. 😁

View attachment 159119
Welp...my employer has done it again. The trainmen dumped an eastbound coal train on the ground at Marshalltown, Iowa. 38 carloads of coal are wasted and several hundred yards of double main line are wiped out. By the looks of it they derailed on a switch in a control point just east of town. I worked a crap ton of hours building and installing all 4 switches in that control point just two years ago. Fixing this mess is somebody else's problem this time. I've worked 145 hours in the last 14 days and I'm shot. If anybody from the railroad calls me, I'm not answering...

Was anyone hurt, besides the corn??

Funny joel, my thought too, must be a farmer thing!!! 🤣 Poor guy will be tossing chunks of coal out of his field for years.

I'm so sorry @Tommyice ... I understand...

Got too hot harvesting crossvine last Friday. Was in no shape to harvest Saturday but did it anyway. Was dragging by Sunday, only got 25% of the crossvine processed. Felt better yesterday, started processing again. Then had to take dad to the er, spent 3hrs waiting.

They said he had covid, positive test, what ever. Doc prescribed plaxlovid per hosp policy, she spoke to me on the side. Said several friends had used it. Every single one got horrible side effects.

I didn’t want to get it but was worried about the insurance. Happened with mom recently… Was prescribed something at an er visit. Niece didn’t fill it for some reason. But mom’s insurance company raised hell when it came time to pay for the entire er visit. All because she didn’t get the med she was prescribed. I don’t know the particulars, was only given the highlights.

So, I figured best to fill dad’s script, he didn’t have to take it when he got home. I knew my antivirals would knock the flu out no problem. Went to walleys, they wanted $1743.00 for plaxlovid. Full price, some kind of insurance issue. $17***#^, for flu medicine? What ever happened to chicken soup and a quilt? Is there a shortage? Took an hour for the techs to figure out, suddenly it was free, not even a copay. What? :rolleyes:

So dad’s got the flu, been mixing him tinctures every 4hrs, since 6am. Just gave him the last round before his bed time.

But, since I was up all today. I got the rest of the crossvine processed. Debating whether to make the tinctures tonight or tomorrow, leaning towards tomorrow. Gonna be 7 or 8 quarts of finished tincture. Good news, I won’t need to harvest crossvine for the next 10yrs. 😁

Funny joel, my thought too, must be a farmer thing!!! 🤣 Poor guy will be tossing chunks of coal out of his field for years.
They appear to have gotten the line open again. Trains have been moving through my town today, which is about 50 miles west of the derailment.

I'm a bit curious to know what the compensation is for the property owners who suffer damage from derailments. That is information that I don't get to see. At the one I worked last week, there were probably three or four acres of soybeans that were destroyed from Dozers pushing all the twisted metal and the ruined merchandise into piles. Also, that land may not be as productive in the future. It's an interesting subject...

I know coal mines have to pay for damaged farmland. From about ‘75 to ‘05 coal was mined beneath 1000’s of acres east of me. Area 30x20 miles, the coal seam was 600/800ft down. This was long wall mining on a huge scale. As they mined sections they let the roof collapse behind them. This caused farms on the surface to have issues from land settling. Not a lot but I know of a few small streams/springs that dried up, a few farmers lost fish ponds. The mine would then pay the farmer a fair market value for the whole farm. But… the farmer could then buy back his farm at a much reduced price because it was now mine damaged lands. But most land owners had no issues. Strip mining is a whole different issue.

The mine just east of me is still there. Except now they are mining a coal seam 2100ft down. Newly opened, a 50yr project, largest known deposit of coking coal. Kinfolk have worked at this mine since the 60’s, still do. I found pics of this new seam on the company website.

This is a long wall mining machine on the blue creek coal seam. It holds up the roof as it cuts the seam. Miners still pin roof behind it for equipment access, airflow, passages and the miles of conveyor belts.

Coall Blue-Creek-Coking-Coal-Project.jpg

Last edited:
Went down to the river just now. It seems like every pretty girl in town is down here on the beach wearing a tiny bikini.
My wife drug me to the beach after we were married. It is hot like a corn field in August, I was bored.
Everyone was old, well to me anyways, there was one girl in her twenties out in the waves.
When she came back to shore, I could tell she was maybe fifteen, I felt like a perv.
All I could think was Than God I was married.

I sat at the dentist for a couple of hrs today, and still can't feel the right side of my face. Two fillings, a back molar pulled. Pain in the butt. Took forever waiting, he was so busy. They almost numbed and pulled the wrong tooth.
That would have been painful Amish Heart here in South Australia a lot of our public health dentists including Mount Gambier hospital clinic have university interns under supervision of the head dentist who done my extrication he was talking me through every step and allowing for 5 minute breaks in between working on the molar

Of course coming from a family where mum smoked till she gave up earlier this year it surprised him that my teeth were very strong and resilient given the degree of difficulty he had in getting a big chunk of my impacted molar out enough so his dental student could stitch over the base allowing for proper healing

It took a good 4 and a bit hours for me to feel right side of my face again as I did have 3 lots of anesthetic so know how you feel

I tried in vain to fix the internet issue on Mom's computer. It stopped being able to connect to internet while I was eating dinner and she was having a major blowout about it. I finally got her to move out of the way so I could mess with her computer. Nothing seemed to work. I then went to check internet on my computer and found it was out. I checked to make sure the modem was on and it was. I used the Starlink app on my phone and it said the dish wasn't connected. Went outside in the dark and found the internet cord has been cut in half. Ugh.

Had to break the news to Mom and bro. Bro set his phone up as a wifi hotspot using a signal booster in the bathroom. Signal booster doesn't reach my phone unless I'm super close to it, so no signal to my phone from room, but my computer's wifi has good antennas and was able to get weak signal.

Got enough internet to finish my walmart curbside order and order a new starlink cable. $145 with tax. Is supposed to arrive Friday.

Hoping my friend will be able to hook up the new cable when it arrives. The hotspot thing has data limits.

Bro is going to see if he can get the wires in the cord spliced back together temporarily when the sun comes up.

For some reason the cows were sitting next to the house for some reason. Alleria got up but Kwai decided to stay sitting. I don't think they had anything to do with the cord getting cut. I think it fell into the AC unit and got chewed up by the fan.

Been super crabby and feeling cruddy. Just got Itsy to come lick my forehead. I should be asleep but can't seem to get my brain to let me.

Think I'm gonna go eat some dark chocolate covered almonds because the last 24hrs call for chocolate.

Latest posts

Back