Whats for dinner 2023

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pub up in Arlington VA that we frequent when visiting my son got us hooked on roasted Brussel sprouts. Normally I don't care too much for them, but roasted they are great!
We used to sear them with some cajun seasoning and chopped bacon in cast iron so they're just a little crispy and serve them over cheese grits. Yum!

Now I really miss bacon.

They're so good for you, too. Well.... I don't know about coated in bacon grease and over cheese. Haha

Doctored up frozen pizza...uggh..larry had dental work today, I had to work n had afternoon Dr. Appt...so he threw in a fast n furious "dinner" on the fly! (That a fly likely wouldn't touch!).. I hadn't eaten all day, so I had 2 small pieces! I'm stockpiled to the hilt with food and may very well die of starvation..
At this point, I'm thinking I'll eat much better if SHTF! 😁

I had some pre-packaged chickpea masala or something. I can't ever tell the difference between Indian food. It all looks and tastes the same to me.

Rare night at home alone.
I love me some chicken Marsala, my wife can’t do the mushrooms. She will cook it for me and cook something else fro her.
think that’s a definition of love.

Bought big pack of tri tip. Thought it was 20 lbs of 2. . Pleasantly surprised it was 5 tritips in that pack. For under $4 a pound and a coupon. $80 net price.
Trimmed 2 to supermarket standards. Trimmed one special to be on the smoker with a little extra fat. . Each of those 3 will be 2 meals.
Took my butchering skill on the last two ( I used to be part of a team that butchered 70 deer a year)
Last night I made what I call poor man’s fillet. Small part tip of the tritip cooked as I would fillet. Cast iron pan, salt, pepper, and a big chunk of butter. Heat oven to 500 and it’s done.delicious.
Tonight, a couple steaks I cut off. Cubed very small and made into Spanish rice. Never made spanish rice without hamburger before. Left over rice gets spooned into peppers for stuffed peppers for tomorrow.
That $80 piece of meat is going to get us 12 meals. And some tallow to boot

A pub up in Arlington VA that we frequent when visiting my son got us hooked on roasted Brussel sprouts. Normally I don't care too much for them, but roasted they are great!
Went there today. And here they are:
IMG_20230411_191215.jpg

Sis and I did Italian lasagna, chicken lasagna and spaghetti, because Mom said her husband’s side doesn’t eat lasagne but eats spaghetti. Everyone of them ate lasagna , except her husband so we actually made a lot of that, salad with everything you would want, squash casserole, green beans, garlic bread, strawberry shortcake cheesecake, lemon bars and chocolate sheet cake. His side provided nothing except to show up and eat. On our way home Hunny said he didn’t expect the leeches . . Really this is how things go. They showed up late. Eat time was 12:30 since I had to leave at 1:45 for work. More like 1.

We kept it simple today..cooked out on grill at mothers hamburgers, hot dogs, i made baked beans, Cole slaw, chili, deviled eggs, chips n dip, mother made a cherry cheesecake, lettuce, onion n tomatoe from the garden for burger topping, my canned bread n butter and zesty dill pickes..I also made a veggie pizza, the recipe with the homemade ranch spread and chopped broccoli, cauliflower, red, green n orange bell peppers on top...baked crescent roll dough for the base..we played horseshoes, n corn hole! And some good ole country music playing..weather was beautiful! Neither of my boys tried to pick a fight with the other..got some target practice in with 9mm, grannys 38 special, and my 22 henry rifle..boys had their variety of defense weapons out target practicing, so all was good today...(red neck Patriots mothers day)..Good times! 😊

Recipe I have dying to try. Smoked Shot Gun Shells.
Cananolli stuffed with Beef/beef chorizo, spiced and wrapped with bacon.
Short smoking time, so it wasn’t worth the big stick smoker.
Small gas grill with wood chips for hickory.
Whoops i forgot the BBQ sauce. It would have rounded it out.
IMG_0161.jpeg
IMG_0162.jpeg

The wife and I both work and bring home take out a lot. I recently found that I'm unwilling to spend $10+credit card tax for only 3-piece fried chicken and a spit full of beans so I'm eating at home -for 1994 extra value meal prices. Its now $24 for us and the 4 yo to eat McDonalds drive thru...its what the kid will eat. Whataburger is near $30 and the sit down Italian place up the road is only about $10 more than that with tip included. Keep on pushing $15/hr minimum wage gen Z and you'll find yourself back on food stamps. I say bring on the burger flipping robots. AI can't get the orders any more wrong than the current crew.

Latest posts

Back