Whats for dinner 2023

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturdays dinner.
In the Dutch Oven over the camp fire slow cooked deer.
Sunday it was pulled pork from the Dutch Oven (no pic).

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_180654099.jpg
    IMG_20230527_180654099.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Had to take my Jeep in to replace the windshield today. There's a Taco Bell across the street, so that's what's for dinner.
I guess you don’t have any bad neighborhoods. The worse the neighborhood, the better the taco.

@Arcticdude There is a pretty decent Mexican place 2 1/2- 3 miles north of that grocery store with the gun department. I know there isn’t a Taco Bell in that town (or at least 5 years ago)

This recipe is fabulous!!! It is called Mexican Pizza or Pizza Tlayuda. The flavor is incredible!!!

While the recipe calls for Monterey Jack cheese, I used sharp cheddar, since that was what I had. Also did not put radishes on this, but did add Cherizo. If someone wants the recipe, just let me know. Next time I make it I will add more of the Black Bean mixture, as we loved it!!!

1686494588444.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone every made Sausage Gravy Kolaches? I’ve read that Texas is about the only place in the States that makes them.

View attachment 20039
St. Louis Kolaches has them here in MO. Just another of about 30 or more types you can get. I don’t remember having any type that wasn’t really good.

Has anyone every made Sausage Gravy Kolaches? I’ve read that Texas is about the only place in the States that makes them.

View attachment 20039
I've never seen or heard of these, but they look amazing. What a great early spring meal when you're running low on ideas of what to make with limited pantry supplies!

A few months ago I bought a full brisket. Cut it into 5 pieces.
Did one of the 5 on the smoker. So roughly a $20 pice of meat, probably less more like $15-16 after the discounts
The 2 of us will get 3 meals out of it. Smoked to perfection for two meals, scraps folded into Quesadias For the third.
I would have paid $30 for this piece of meat in the grocery store

Marinated overnight with garlic and Worshteshire. Coated with Kosher salt and coarse pepper,
IMG_0737.jpeg

Finnished product
IMG_0738.jpeg

Damn, I should go on as cooking show.
edit. The rosemary of top was because my wife had to trim back the garden. It added.

Last edited:
Any meat if you can get it vacuum sealed at store level ,when home store it at the back of your fridge( less contact with warm air ) for 14 to 21 days before using, this will help tenderiser the meat before processing , better still if the store can hang it for that time for you , not sure of your processing there , we still get carcasses' here to be cut up

Anybody have a good cream sauce/or other sauce recipe suggestion to go with Atlantic cod fish? I can look up recipes but would like tried and true recommendation from one of y'all...I'm back to taking off work early, or most regular folk end of day time), to make dinner due to Larry's deteriorating health..tomorrow night wild caught fish night (I know...it's not Friday yet)..

Would love any/all suggestions.

Here is a good sauce one!

Ingredients​

For the Cod:​

• 2 6-ounce wild Pacific Cod fillets (1/2-inch thick)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (divided)

For the Lemon-Garlic Sauce:​

• 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
  • 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons soft butter
  • 1 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves

Instructions​

1. Pat the cod fillets with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
  2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper together and dredge the cod fillets.
  3. Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high. When it is hot, swirl 3 tablespoons of the oil over the bottom of the pan and add the flour-dusted fillets. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. Do not move the fish. As the crust forms it will release from the pan. Give the fillet a nudge with a turner, after 3 minutes, if it moves flip it and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

1. In a small skillet or saucepan set over medium-low heat, heat the remaining olive oil and add the garlic and lemon slices and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Pour in the wine, chicken broth and the lemon juice. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove and discard the lemon slices and taste to adjust seasoning.
  2. In a small dish, combine the soft butter and cornstarch to make a paste then stir in 2-3 tablespoons of the hot sauce. Whisk the mixture into the sauce and cook until slightly thickened, then stir in the thyme leaves. Transfer the sauce to a dish or pitcher. Plate the reserved fish and spoon the hot sauce over the fish.

Here is a good sauce one!

Ingredients​

• 2 6-ounce wild Pacific Cod fillets (1/2-inch thick)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (divided)

• 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
  • 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons soft butter
  • 1 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves

Instructions​

1. Pat the cod fillets with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
  2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper together and dredge the cod fillets.
  3. Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high. When it is hot, swirl 3 tablespoons of the oil over the bottom of the pan and add the flour-dusted fillets. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. Do not move the fish. As the crust forms it will release from the pan. Give the fillet a nudge with a turner, after 3 minutes, if it moves flip it and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

1. In a small skillet or saucepan set over medium-low heat, heat the remaining olive oil and add the garlic and lemon slices and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Pour in the wine, chicken broth and the lemon juice. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove and discard the lemon slices and taste to adjust seasoning.
  2. In a small dish, combine the soft butter and cornstarch to make a paste then stir in 2-3 tablespoons of the hot sauce. Whisk the mixture into the sauce and cook until slightly thickened, then stir in the thyme leaves. Transfer the sauce to a dish or pitcher. Plate the reserved fish and spoon the hot sauce over the fish.
That sounds really good, garlic, lemon and butter…..with fresh fish, unbeatable.

Latest posts

Back