What's for dinner tonight?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are trying to clean out our freezer. Tonight we made some frozen fried rice and added some leftover ground Italian sausage.
I can’t say it was good, but it was filling. We have plenty more things in the freezer to eat for the next couple of weeks.
I got to where I don’t put frozen leftovers in the big freezer anymore. All the meals I vacumseal stay in the kitchen freezer so I can see them and try to go through them within 6 months. I recently went through and reorganized the big freezer and had meals in there from 2013. They were still edible but with being so old they got fed to the outside dogs over a few weeks. Luckily I never completely waste food around here with them and the compost pile.

0206191846.jpg
Breaded pork chops. greenbeens, sausage, potatoes. Potatoes with onions, sausage, garlic and cheese. White rice and French bread. Strawberries and whip cream.

I had roast beef and gravy over rice, mashed potatoes with gravy, a huge moist and fluffy biscuit and some greens that are better than any I’ve ever cooked. I had lunch at a mom and pop country restaurant and brought home half of it for dinner. All for 7.00. I think I could eat there every day and never get tired of it.

I had lunch at a mom and pop country restaurant and brought home half of it for dinner. All for 7.00. I think I could eat there every day and never get tired of it.
We had a great inexpensive country restaurant up Highway 27 in Waverly Hall, about a 25 minute drive from here. Better veggies that I could hope to cook. Problem was, it was only open during the week and only for breakfast and lunch. The only time I went there was when going to a range near there during the week. If they had been open for supper I definitely would have made the drive with my wife at least once a week.

It went out of business. :(

Early dinner of home-made aloo gosht with yellow pepper in the dish and little naans to mop up all the loveliness, as I'm off out to see Stan and Ollie at the cinema tonight :D

Wife had a friend that made us Bangladeshi aloo gosht with lamb, that is a good meal!

We had a great inexpensive country restaurant up Highway 27 in Waverly Hall, about a 25 minute drive from here. Better veggies that I could hope to cook. Problem was, it was only open during the week and only for breakfast and lunch. The only time I went there was when going to a range near there during the week. If they had been open for supper I definitely would have made the drive with my wife at least once a week.

It went out of business. :(
Lots of these places are mom and pop run. When they get old many times there is no one to replace them. The place I’m talking about is the rabbit town cafe, on the western edge of Gainesville ga if your ever in the area. They are open for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Very simple but surprisingly good - stir fried spinach with some rousong (肉鬆 - dried shredded pork) over rice. Just literally cook the spinach in a skillet with a little oil, then put the spinach and rousong over rice...that's it!

The rousong adds salt and flavor.
q23g40S.png

Last edited:
Aloo is potato and gosht is meat (usually lamb or mutton, although mutton isn't so easy to get here, more's the pity) cooked very tender, all done up in a rich, spicy sauce. Very popular dish around Pakistan, North India, Bangladesh - and Britain :D
Sounds really good when you put it in plain English. ;)

Tonight I made a big pot of chili on the wood stove. I never thought I'd say this but I may have made it too hot. I started out by cutting up a nice lean steak, added thick chunks of bacon and ground spicy pork. And just because there was room left over in the pot I filled the rest of it with several kinds of hot peppers.

Tonight I made a big pot of chili on the wood stove. I never thought I'd say this but I may have made it too hot. I started out by cutting up a nice lean steak, added thick chunks of bacon and ground spicy pork. And just because there was room left over in the pot I filled the rest of it with several kinds of hot peppers.
Add rice or spaghetti noodles and it will mellow it out some. Spaghetti is a Kentucky thing that makes it more hearty .

Add rice or spaghetti noodles and it will mellow it out some. Spaghetti is a Kentucky thing that makes it more hearty .
What?! Are you drunk or something? "Mellow it out?" That's sacrilege. Of course by tomorrow morning I'll probably wish I did do some mellowing with it. What I really need is a big dish of ice cream for dessert.

Latest posts

Back