What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roasted my first batch of Costa Rica Tarrazu. I haven't had any Tarrazu since the 80's. Good coffee!

They used to have bumper stickers in Costa Rica that said "Juan Valdez drinks Costa Rican Coffee" LOL.

My brother in law went to Costa Rica and came back with a t-shirt that said "Café de Costa Rica - Numero Uno En El Mundo"

Something tells me Costa Ricans are SERIOUS about their coffee!

Last edited:
Well tomorrow is an errand day for us. We hate to go out but all of our errands are curbside pickups. Made an online Kroger order down the mountain last Wednesday. 7 days till they could fill it. Wondering what they will cut out of it. Mostly fresh fruits, vegetables and some dairy.

Curb side pickup for extra battery for my cell and spare charger.

My rubber boots at Tractor Supply and some grass seed and Milorganite ( fertilizer) to patch the grass spots my dog has dug up. I could get used to this curbside stuff. Gonna wait and see how it goes though. Hopefully we can get everything disinfected good.

Our last frost date is tomorrow ( April 15) Mother Nature gets the last laugh because it is snowing. Sure glad I didn't plant that garden early:D

Covid 19 cases in my county 3, tested 125, county population 18,000. Stay safe

We are putting together bags of food for some of the older and disabled folks in our neighborhood. We are also doing wellness checks and sharing knowledge about how to survive this Pandemic and economic crisis with other families in our neighborhood. All 5his from across there fences, but it's been really well accepted and appreciated. This has given us a better feeling about getting through this with our neighbors being more informed and prepared.

Some have started gardens that normally dont ever have gardens. I'm going to see about having a weekly communication with some of the more active neighbors, to share ideas and coordinate prepping and trade with each other.

The wife decided that our grocery shopping is going to be online now. Publix is two blocks away, so getting delivery from them is no problem. We've tried it before.
She is now wearing a mask when she rides her bike.

When we leave the property we are wearing a mask also. We take sanitizer and gloves and social distance. We have decided we really can't do much more. We do want to try to continue with the fresh produce for as long as possible though. We don't leave that often to limit exposure though and try to do everything on the same day so we only go out once.

I made a big batch of chili with spaghetti noodles and corn on the Cobb on the side. Figured this cool spell was the last chance for a pot of chili. (Although I’ll eat it anytime of the year). I actually took a nap mid day and as soon as I’m done with eating this chili I will go back out to work some more. Life is at a slower pace now but I seem to be doing more physical work than ever....
You put spaghetti noodles in chili? I am trying to wrap my brain around this. Interesting :)

we only have 2 cases in my county and after some thought I know why,,,,,there is nothing here but a Walmart nothing to draw people in,most of the people that are seen here live here,,,yup this is a nice quiet area during winter Fall and early Spring,,,we have a float River here people come from all over to play in the River,,watch things will heat up in my county once it is warm enough for Float Trips,,,,and this crap will still be going strong when the Float season starts

The wife decided that our grocery shopping is going to be online now. Publix is two blocks away, so getting delivery from them is no problem. We've tried it before.
She is now wearing a mask when she rides her bike.

yup it won't be much longer until I am doing my shopping online also,,,Summer is going to be a critical time here where I am at

People here are looking for older cell phones/mobile phones since they cannot be "spied" on so easy and have no virus problems. I still have 3 older Nokias that still function and just ordered a spare battery for 2 of them. Reserve commo, but also an investment, like TP. Some people are ready to pay a couple hundred dollars for a 15 year old phone if it still works!! Have built a few broadhead arrows for the crossbow. Something NEW. I bought an N95 quality BIO-scarf from Finnland on a tip from jontte. It is over 6 feet long and now that winter is going away...I took the scissors to the scarf, cut it into 9 smaller pieces, added some elastic bands into the sides and made new face masks out of the thing. They are black fleece, warm, windproof, soft, and fit directly to the face quite well closing against the skin and contures of my and the wifes face. GP

You put spaghetti noodles in chili? I am trying to wrap my brain around this. Interesting :)
Like I said, it seems to be a Kentucky thing. I grew up eating it this way so it’s one of my comfort foods. The chili is thinner than most but with full flavor, and the noodles make it hardier so it’s a meal in itself without sides.

Like I said, it seems to be a Kentucky thing. I grew up eating it this way so it’s one of my comfort foods. The chili is thinner than most but with full flavor, and the noodles make it hardier so it’s a meal in itself without sides.
The next time I make chili, I am going to try it!

The next time I make chili, I am going to try it!
One thing I love about cooking is you can tweak things as you like them. Even though this was one of my favorite things from childhood I reduced the beans and doubled the meat to make it even better (to me at least).

During the first stage of whatever I had, I slept 14 hours one day, and averaged about 10 hours a day. Later when it got in to my lungs I couldn't sleep that much because of coughing all the time.

It really helps me Doc when you tell me what you went through. Might I ask if you went to the doctor?

It really helps me Doc when you tell me what you went through. Might I ask if you went to the doctor?
No point. They would not have tested me because at that time they were only testing people who had been to China. This was in February.
I was close to going to the emergency room when I had 103° fever though. If I had not gotten my temp down I would have gone.

Besides, the doctor's office seemed like one of the most dangerous places I could go. If I had it I could have spread it to other people, including the doctors and nurses, and if I didn't I could have caught it or something else, and I was not in any shape to catch something else too.

Last edited:
One thing I love about cooking is you can tweak things as you like them. Even though this was one of my favorite things from childhood I reduced the beans and doubled the meat to make it even better (to me at least).
I add three beans black, kidney and pinto also add corn. Delish and very filling. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream...I'm getting hungry now!
Forgot the cornbread and crackers!

I'm becoming a true senior citizen. I'm cooking dinner earlier every night so I can go to bed when it get dark.

LOL, I was getting to bed at a a reasonable hour before my wife had to start working from home. Now she wants to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime until all hours of the night. I usually beg off around midnight and tell her I'm going to bed, but if what we are watching is really good, I may stay up.

I'm becoming a true senior citizen. I'm cooking dinner earlier every night so I can go to bed when it get dark.
When camping I usually adjust to the sun hours pretty quickly. I guess this with not going to work or having a regular routine it’s a lot like camping....

I am a night person. Bedtime for me is 2.a.m.. I get up between 10 a.m. and noon. The wife is the morning person and typically gets up around 5 or 6 a.m.. During any violent crisis, wife will have the day watch and I will have the night watch.

Another freeze warning for in the morning. Then I think it is supposed to start warming back up and I will get back to gardening. Tomorrow I think I will finish picking up sticks and mow the grass again.

Today was a stressful errand day. Picked up my grocery order from 7 days ago at Kroger. They were unable to fill over a third of my order. Think I will just start cracking the preps and give up on fresh produce till my own garden comes in. I will miss my fruit and half and half for my coffee. I have powdered creamer but am just spoiled. Kroger lost the paperwork and the wait was longer than necessary.

Tractor Supply called and said my rubber boots were in and got there and they had lost them in an hour and a half. So I sat on the curb for that one for awhile also.

I have come to the conclusion that these stores are all pushing ordering online and curb pickup and are not set up to fulfill that obligation. Remember when all these stores went to self check out. Them self checkout machines can't run them orders to the curb for pickup. Now they don't have enough workers.

However every store I went to had signs looking for workers. Lowes parking lot was packed when I passed.

I have a Harbor Freight order that is 3 weeks out and is still pending ( battery for pole saw).

My last Amazon order took a month.

The best I have had luck with so far is Walmart.

So I am back on the top of the Plateau tonight. The forest was beautiful today on the trip down. The Dogwood and Redbud trees were blooming and dotted the sides of the mountains. Picture perfect views in a not so picture perfect world.

Everyone stay safe.

We got the gravel in a spread, packed it with the backhoe and then ran the packer over it again. Dug out the holes for the pillars, dropped the I beams into the holes and ran out of time for the day. Two beers and a sunset later, very happy and tired early to bed old man and wife....GP

My goal for today is to transplant about 15 more blueberries and begin digging for the new septic line. My backhoe is a smaller machine so I expect this to take about three days. Would like to rent a large machine but am trying to be as economically thrifty as I can with all the uncertainty about the economy. Anyways, it’s perfect weather for outside work right now. Will be full summer heat before we know it.

Latest posts

Back