What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another freeze warning for in the morning. Then I think it is supposed to start warming back up and I will get back to gardening. Tomorrow I think I will finish picking up sticks and mow the grass again.

Today was a stressful errand day. Picked up my grocery order from 7 days ago at Kroger. They were unable to fill over a third of my order. Think I will just start cracking the preps and give up on fresh produce till my own garden comes in. I will miss my fruit and half and half for my coffee. I have powdered creamer but am just spoiled. Kroger lost the paperwork and the wait was longer than necessary.

Tractor Supply called and said my rubber boots were in and got there and they had lost them in an hour and a half. So I sat on the curb for that one for awhile also.

I have come to the conclusion that these stores are all pushing ordering online and curb pickup and are not set up to fulfill that obligation. Remember when all these stores went to self check out. Them self checkout machines can't run them orders to the curb for pickup. Now they don't have enough workers.

However every store I went to had signs looking for workers. Lowes parking lot was packed when I passed.

I have a Harbor Freight order that is 3 weeks out and is still pending ( battery for pole saw).

My last Amazon order took a month.

The best I have had luck with so far is Walmart.

So I am back on the top of the Plateau tonight. The forest was beautiful today on the trip down. The Dogwood and Redbud trees were blooming and dotted the sides of the mountains. Picture perfect views in a not so picture perfect world.

Everyone stay safe.

Yesterday is out average last day of frost in Middle Tennessee. We are off this year. I want to plant some veggies.

I had a bag of potatoes that had sprouted so I planted then. The freeze Monday night nipped the tops of the plants. Not too bad to have been 27°

We had snow and high winds yesterday so I didn't work on the fence any. I did get the pond stocked with fish though.
Today is sunny so I'm burning the last of the brush and trees in the corral. Once the ground thaws out later today I'll start digging post holes. Only need about 40 posts to finish the corral and a couple hundred 2x10's for the railing. Then I can set the squeeze chute and start connecting everything. I'm trying to hire some help but so far no luck. Its going to be fun trying to castrate and brand a bunch of calves by myself. I'll put in a heavy snubbing post in the center of the corral. Then I can tie the calf to it after roping him, and then tie his feet. In theory anyway. I'm still hoping that I can get a couple cowboys from a neighboring ranch to help.
My wife keeps telling me I'm too old for this. And then she comes up with a new project for me. I guess I like to stay busy.

Yesterday is out average last day of frost in Middle Tennessee. We are off this year. I want to plant some veggies.

I had a bag of potatoes that had sprouted so I planted then. The freeze Monday night nipped the tops of the plants. Not too bad to have been 27°

My potatoes got nipped too Robin. Also my grapes, blackberries, catalpa trees, hosta and azaleas.

We had snow and high winds yesterday so I didn't work on the fence any. I did get the pond stocked with fish though.
Today is sunny so I'm burning the last of the brush and trees in the corral. Once the ground thaws out later today I'll start digging post holes. Only need about 40 posts to finish the corral and a couple hundred 2x10's for the railing. Then I can set the squeeze chute and start connecting everything. I'm trying to hire some help but so far no luck. Its going to be fun trying to castrate and brand a bunch of calves by myself. I'll put in a heavy snubbing post in the center of the corral. Then I can tie the calf to it after roping him, and then tie his feet. In theory anyway. I'm still hoping that I can get a couple cowboys from a neighboring ranch to help.
My wife keeps telling me I'm too old for this. And then she comes up with a new project for me. I guess I like to stay busy.

My husbands philosophy is that when you quit moving you die. I just keep finding ways for him to move :rolleyes:

Lost my cousins husband to Coronavirus, died a week ago, we only just heard about it. He did have underlying health problems but heartbreaking none the less. RIP Jim.

My potatoes got nipped too Robin. Also my grapes, blackberries, catalpa trees, hosta and azaleas.

It was interesting that some of my potatoes got nipped, but 2 types did not. They must take cold better than the other types. Lost my outdoor tomato plants. Should have covered them, but the weather didn’t say it was getting down that cold.

Lost my cousins husband to Coronavirus, died a week ago, we only just heard about it. He did have underlying health problems but heartbreaking none the less. RIP Jim.
Sorry to hear that. I imagine all of us will be personally impacted by this before it’s over.

It was interesting that some of my potatoes got nipped, but 2 types did not. They must take cold better than the other types. Lost my outdoor tomato plants. Should have covered them, but the weather didn’t say it was getting down that cold.
I would say make a note of that hardier type for next year but it’s best to rotate things each year..

I went out for a walk and I saw more cars driving down the street in the first minute than I have seen in the last two months. It seems like everyone here is getting tired of confinement and letting down their guard. The cases are just now starting to pick up in the county.

I went out for a walk and I saw more cars driving down the street in the first minute than I have seen in the last two months. It seems like everyone here is getting tired of confinement and letting down their guard. The cases are just now starting to pick up in the county.
Hopefully it is just out of curiosity and a nice drive to get out of the house. My mom and her husband are now driving thru to pick up lunch and then go to the river to eat it just to get out of the house. I'm not happy about it, but she assures me that they don't get out of the car and most people who go make sure to leave every other parking space open. . . Except a coup!e times now but they rolled the Windows up. . . :rolleyes:

So far walking has been an extremely low risk activity. I have passed two people on the street in the last week, and we were walking down opposite sides of the street. My wife runs into more people on her bike because she rides on a bike trail, but she wears a mask.

I ventured out to the dollar general for pretzels for my wife’s emergency snack fix. Saw about ten people and I was the only one in a mask. Had sanitizer in my shirt pocket as well. Went thru the drive up at a small local pizza shop too. The place had a line. People are still going out some anyways. I sure do miss normal and wonder what normal will hold in the future.

I couldn't imagine staying locked up in the house everyday. For many of us life hasn't changed at all. I'm outside every day from daylight to dark. I never did go joy riding around but if I need something I go get it. This is a busy time of year for me with all my construction projects and fencing repairs. The lumber yard is going to deliver a truck load of lumber and fence posts tomorrow.
Last time I went to our local grocery store I was talking to the meat cutter. He was telling me that with many processing plants shutting down that meat was going to start getting scarce. So I sold him a couple beef calves. I've got about another dozen calves to sell.
There are always oppertunities out there.

I couldn't imagine staying locked up in the house everyday. For many of us life hasn't changed at all. I'm outside every day from daylight to dark. I never did go joy riding around but if I need something I go get it. This is a busy time of year for me with all my construction projects and fencing repairs. The lumber yard is going to deliver a truck load of lumber and fence posts tomorrow.
Last time I went to our local grocery store I was talking to the meat cutter. He was telling me that with many processing plants shutting down that meat was going to start getting scarce. So I sold him a couple beef calves. I've got about another dozen calves to sell.
There are always oppertunities out there.
I couldn't be locked up in the house either. :) Spring is one of my favorite times of the year with the mild temps and nice breeze blowing. The perfect time to get things done around our place for certain. I am a home body for the most part enjoying my time in the garden and out with the goats, but will ride along with my sweet hunny to do errands that need to get done just to keep him company for the most part. Now when he ask if I want to go, I can use the excuse of there is only 1 person allowed in the store from each household as an excuse to stay at home. . . . maybe that is evil on my part.

I don't blame you for taking opportunity where you can. . . I do believe that meat will become hard to find and expensive for the most part. With all the people getting sick over this virus it was really just going to be a matter of time when food sources would be effected. . . it all just trickles down the lines of production.

When we took my MIL, Granny in to live with us, we decided to find a good home to her dog since we had a lot on our plate at that time and knew we had one dog in particular that does not do well with other animals. . . it was with a good friend and actually the guy who rents the property at the other end of us. Her dog, Maggie has a tenancy yo get out and run a muck. She was put on a leash and tied off in his garden area, , , Well, she pulled off the collar and dug under the fence and since hunny had to go down to explain a fabrication hunny went to look for her which was finally down a hwy. He brought her home. . . now trying yo get our youngster Akita accustomed to having a new addition to the family. The two boys are good with the old lady newcomer but Alex is not so much. . . Two out of three is ok, nut I know Bud, when he is around Al, he will be back up.

Latest posts

Back