What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like someone here already said: there will be millions of more preppers or wanna-be preppers around the world after this scare. I hope my kids will both start prepping more. If we move away to Hungary, I and my wife will not be close enough to help them if something like this goes down again, which we ALL know WILL happen...GP

You just have to wonder how many people right now are actually regretting the fact that they didnt prepare for their future. . . investing in the ability to feed their kids and put a roof over their heads for just another month after losing their monthly income. . . I really do this situation does slap some people in the face to the reality that life as they know it can be taken away in a heartbeat with no action from them as the cause. . . instead it seems that peoples materialistic wants are more important to them verses what will actually keep them alive.
Why would this seem as basic common sense to us and yet the vast majority thought we were paranoid or radical for wanting to protect our families?

Im telling ya, you got to try it sauteed in butter or bacon grease, salt pepper and then brown sugar. . . even my veggie hating hunny will eat it that way.
Trying different flavors and techniques is really a good idea. I would have never thought of brown sugar on my own.

Trying different flavors and techniques is really a good idea. I would have never thought of brown sugar on my own.

I have a recipe that was my grandmothers that I will try to find and post. It is an au gratin casserole with turnips. You boil the turnips for a couple minutes in baking soda and they foam then you drain. It takes alot of that bitter taste out of them. Most people that don't like turnips will eat this casserole in my family.

I just got a text from boss lady. . . A truck for me finally came in so going in tonight to get it all cut and out. Means extra hours for me this week since I still need to go back later this week to make sure we are ready for the weekend. I am in a really good position. . . If you work hard and do a good job, you will be rewarded at my company. Walking thru the breakroom on my way out the door I have heard others say about how their hours have been cut. I feel like I am one of the lucky ones.

LOL, I've been getting the same feeling bigpaul. Every day the same routine, day after day, waiting for something to change. Today might be a little more interesting, I'm going on a supply run, LOL.
Sad when grocery shopping is the most exciting thing in your day.....

I just got a text from boss lady. . . A truck for me finally came in so going in tonight to get it all cut and out. Means extra hours for me this week since I still need to go back later this week to make sure we are ready for the weekend. I am in a really good position. . . If you work hard and do a good job, you will be rewarded at my company. Walking thru the breakroom on my way out the door I have heard others say about how their hours have been cut. I feel like I am one of the lucky ones.
As they say, the cream rises to the top!

Why would this seem as basic common sense to us and yet the vast majority thought we were paranoid or radical for wanting to protect our families?

You know, that’s a really good question. It seems far too many people have lost their ability to envision beyond their current circumstances. For some reason they think what is now will always be. Of course NOTHING could be further from the truth. Also, parents stopped teaching their children to be prepared for the rare disasters...unlike our grandparents.

Normalcy Bias (From Wikipedia): is a tendency for people to believe that things will function in the future the way they normally have functioned in the past and therefore to underestimate both the likelihood of a disaster and its possible effects. This may result in situations where people fail to adequately prepare themselves for disasters, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations. About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias during a disaster.

I have a recipe that was my grandmothers that I will try to find and post. It is an au gratin casserole with turnips. You boil the turnips for a couple minutes in baking soda and they foam then you drain. It takes alot of that bitter taste out of them. Most people that don't like turnips will eat this casserole in my family.

Please post it! I’d love to try it out.

There are reports out that confirm that deaths are greatly inflatd. Under Trumps trillions of dollars give away (Cares act) hospitals are encouraged to report as many deaths as China flu related as possible. Follow the money.

Yeah, it kinda feels like a scam some days. Who knows? It’s not that people are getting it and dying...it’s just that every “expert” pushed for a complete shutdown.

Not really quite sure what is going on. 3 days ago sitting in the house at night knitting and hear a big bang then lights go out. Transformer blew next door. SO last night watching tv at night with hubby and hear a big bang then transformer blows(same one). Dark again. This morning having coffee hear big bang and light go out for just a minute then come back on. This afternoon lost lights again for almost 4 hours as did most of the neighborhood. Not a cloud in the sky any of these times. This has never happened here.

Not really quite sure what is going on. 3 days ago sitting in the house at night knitting and hear a big bang then lights go out. Transformer blew next door. SO last night watching tv at night with hubby and hear a big bang then transformer blows(same one). Dark again. This morning having coffee hear big bang and light go out for just a minute then come back on. This afternoon lost lights again for almost 4 hours as did most of the neighborhood. Not a cloud in the sky any of these times. This has never happened here.

Now that is concerning. Have you rang your electric company?

Please post it! I’d love to try it out.

SCALLOPED TURNIPS

Turnips washed, peeled and cubed into 1 inch cubed.(enough cubed turnips for an 8 inch or 2 quart casserole to be filled within 1 inch of the top) Put turnips in a kettle (pot) of cold water and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Cook on medium heat just until they start to boil. At this point they will foam!!!!! They will not be soft.

The baking soda and heat helps to draw out the bitter "bite" of the turnips and mellow the taste. Remove from heat.
Wash thoroughly and drain well. Put turnips back in pot and cover with cold salted water. Cook until almost tender. Drain.

Put turnips into buttered casserole.

Combine in separate bowl:
1/4 cup sugar
3 heaping Tbsp flour
1 pint Half & Half
Stir well

Pour milk mixture over turnips in casserole. Dot with butter.

Bake in a 325 oven for about 1 hour.

This makes a smooth and creamy scalloped turnip dish. You can also add a bag (2 cups ) shredded cheese to the mixture for a more au gratin type casserole.

SCALLOPED TURNIPS

Turnips washed, peeled and cubed into 1 inch cubed.(enough cubed turnips for an 8 inch or 2 quart casserole to be filled within 1 inch of the top) Put turnips in a kettle (pot) of cold water and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Cook on medium heat just until they start to boil. At this point they will foam!!!!! They will not be soft.

The baking soda and heat helps to draw out the bitter "bite" of the turnips and mellow the taste. Remove from heat.
Wash thoroughly and drain well. Put turnips back in pot and cover with cold salted water. Cook until almost tender. Drain.

1/4 cup sugar
3 heaping Tbsp flour
1 pint Half & Half
Stir well

This makes a smooth and creamy scalloped turnip dish. You can also add a bag (2 cups ) shredded cheese to the mixture for a more au gratin type casserole.

Thank you for sharing this DD! I am going to try it out this week. Won’t even tell hubby what it is so he won’t have a preconceived opinion. LOL

Thank you for sharing this DD! I am going to try it out this week. Won’t even tell hubby what it is so he won’t have a preconceived opinion. LOL
That's the way to do it! My younger siblings would eat a lot of things as long as they didn't see me make it. I still remember the day my little brother came in the kitchen while I was cooking and found out I put salsa in my Mexican casserole. He refused to eat it after that when previously he had like it.

Stores which are not considered "system crucial" are opening again (and idiots fall back into old patterns), restaurants will open in May. Some schools may re-open as well. Aside from tourism, life is getting relatively back to normal-ish.

They will use this as a 3-week trial period, to see if people take adequate responsibilities and new-infections remain on a level that can be handled. If not, rewind and try again later. As we live in the mountains - "prepping" is called every day life here as we sometimes are cut off from the valley for days and sometimes weeks.

SCALLOPED TURNIPS

1/4 cup sugar
3 heaping Tbsp flour
1 pint Half & Half
Stir well

Granny always called a turnip the "other white potato" ;)
Sounds like a recipe I will have to try out. Normally I have to sneak turnips into hunny 's diet without him knowing unless I wanted it then carmalize with the brown sugar.

That's the way to do it! My younger siblings would eat a lot of things as long as they didn't see me make it. I still remember the day my little brother came in the kitchen while I was cooking and found out I put salsa in my Mexican casserole. He refused to eat it after that when previously he had like it.
First time I made cannelloni for my hunny he loved it. . . Until he found out I put ground up chicken livers in it along with spinach. Ended up having to leave out the chicken livers ever since. Really surprised he will eat it with the spinach still.

Glad I’m putting in the non grid tied solar setup....

SCALLOPED TURNIPS

1/4 cup sugar
3 heaping Tbsp flour
1 pint Half & Half
Stir well

Thanks for posting. I took a screen shot and will try it out. Guess I will stick a few turnip seeds in the ground this morning while watering.

My guess is that the people in the Metro areas of TN that are not reopening with the rest of the state will come to the adjoining counties to eat and drink since they are still closed.

Bringing all their city germs to us country folks.
What's going to happen when there are outbreaks linked to specific bars/restaurants? The sue-happy people in this country will be looking to make a buck. But these companies will be just barely recovering from the lock down.

Latest posts

Back