What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's going to happen when there are outbreaks linked to specific bars/restaurants? The sue-happy people in this country will be looking to make a buck. But these companies will be just barely recovering from the lock down.
Yep...it's gonna be a chain reaction cluster all right...

hQt2rvI.jpg

I went to the grocery today and for the first time here in Georgia the vast majority of people, even employees, were wearing masks. I still saw a lot without but it was encouraging to see an improvement. With the state planning to reopen sooner than most I can’t believe that aren’t making masks mandatory. I also saw gas for 1.27 today. Never imagined I’d see that again.

I went to the grocery today and for the first time here in Georgia the vast majority of people, even employees, were wearing masks. I still saw a lot without but it was encouraging to see an improvement. With the state planning to reopen sooner than most I can’t believe that aren’t making masks mandatory. I also saw gas for 1.27 today. Never imagined I’d see that again.

Making masks mandatory is not Constitutional.

I know that you'd like to see government force people, against their will, to wear masks. But do you remember that just a few weeks ago the "experts" recommended against the average person wearing a mask? I think they said we were too stupid to wear the masks properly and that they wouldn't do the average person any good. I'll never wear one, unless I'm cleaning the coop, spraying herbicides or similar.

Here where I live people at HEB (50%) are a lot more likely to wear masks than at Walmart (maybe 10%).
One thing to keep in mind is that masks are to protect the people around you as much as to protect you. I hate government mandating anything but due to the chance of asymptomatic infection (they are now saying that you may be MOST contagious BEFORE showing any symptoms) it is certainly morally negligent to fail to wear a mask in public and potentially endangers everyone around you. Whether it should be a criminal matter is another issue - I would like to say no, it shouldn't be. But there are so many stupid people in this world and they will be the ones putting others in danger. I f***** hate stupid people.

Well governor of Tennessee has announced that restaurants will open on Monday and Retail stores on Wednesday. Here we go. I understand the economy is tanking but damn I hate to see this disease run loose again. With 8,000 cases and 170 deaths don't know that it is the right decision but no one is asking me. My husband and I have decided we will continue to shelter in place, continue to garden like our lives depend on it, continue to prep and can and preserve as much food and supplies as possible. We venture out rarely but when we do we will wear masks and decontaminate so for us little has changed. We plan to continue to be hyper aware of our surroundings and super vigilant for signs of violence or robbery. Other than that we will work our way through it and life goes on for us. I pray that this does not end up being a mistake reopening.

I don't understand why some people are willing to surrender their rights and then demand other do the same. You have the absolute right to protect yourself. Buy a full face respirator and ware it every time you exit your house. Fantastic, second best option for your protection but YOU DO NOT have the right to mandate what I ware a mask. The government does not have the right to mandate what I ware. Heck, if you are really concerned for YOUR SAFETY, then get bio-hazard suits (best option) to go along with your face mask.

Drunk drivers kill a huge number of people every year, so should the government force people to have a breath analyzers installed into their vehicles? If not, why not, same principal, punish all because some have a medical issue (alcoholism is considered a medical issue).

You have the point in reverse, following the governments logic, because there are some drunk drivers, then we should all be forced to have breath analyzers wired into our cars. Best logic, if you are concerned about people being infected, then get your own protective equipment to protect yourself from them. If people want to take their chances, let them, their free choice. Personally, I ware protective masks and if I feel they are not enough, then I will get better protective gear. My free choice.

Your fear does not require me to give up my rights. If you are that worried, buy a full face respirator and ware it when you go out.

I see it the other way around - not the ones who cause a potential threat should have all rights and freedom.
The one wearing a mask reduces the risk of infecting others, the one not wearing a mask can be root cause for a high number of infections and potential higher death rate. That way of thinking and "freedom loving" is amongst the reasons the USA has such high numbers. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but numbers don't lie.

I think those who wish to express their RIGHTs to come and go without masks and gloves in infected areas as and when they want should be absolutely allowed to. Providing they sign a document that absolves them from recieving any medical attention if they become infected and making them criminally liable if they infect others. And that all public , state and government facilities have the right to deny them access and employment. Doesnt come any fairer than that. After all thats what Typhoid Marys supporters advocated. With FREEDOM comes RESPONSIBILITY people cannot cheery pick which bits they like. If people have their freedoms and rights as absolutes without responsibility or consequences then you only have anarchy.

I don't understand why some people are willing to surrender their rights and then demand other do the same. You have the absolute right to protect yourself. Buy a full face respirator and ware it every time you exit your house. Fantastic, second best option for your protection but YOU DO NOT have the right to mandate what I ware a mask. The government does not have the right to mandate what I ware..

100% Agree but everyone else DOES have the right to protect themselves from YOU by not interacting with you or employing you, They have the absolute right to deny YOU access to their shops, vehicles, homes, factories, offices, premises , gas stations etc They have the same rights and choices as you.

Your fear does not require me to give up my rights. If you are that worried, buy a full face respirator and ware it when you go out.
This view isn’t for fear for me, it’s to help protect all the other people that have compromised immune systems, grand parents and other health issues. If I give you the face of a child on chemotherapy would that make the rule easier for you?

Well governor of Tennessee has announced that restaurants will open on Monday and Retail stores on Wednesday. Here we go. I understand the economy is tanking but damn I hate to see this disease run loose again. With 8,000 cases and 170 deaths don't know that it is the right decision but no one is asking me. My husband and I have decided we will continue to shelter in place, continue to garden like our lives depend on it, continue to prep and can and preserve as much food and supplies as possible. We venture out rarely but when we do we will wear masks and decontaminate so for us little has changed. We plan to continue to be hyper aware of our surroundings and super vigilant for signs of violence or robbery. Other than that we will work our way through it and life goes on for us. I pray that this does not end up being a mistake reopening.
I am actually for opening things up now but can’t believe they aren’t enacting more safety measures. Just opening without them is certain contamination. Hopefully most businesses will have policies in place to not allow people in that don’t have protection on.

Today our government has informed that schools are re-opening.

The kids with exams will go back, starting May 5th.
The youngest ones (up until the age of 14) will start May 15th and all others May 29th - those 2 week periods will be closely monitored. In addition, the last two groups will attend school with only half of the students. Mo - We school for group 1, group 2 stays at home. Thu - Fri for group 2, group 1 stays at home. The following week, days are swapped.

As this virus will accompany us for the next 2 years, some risks have to be taken - but not regardless the cost.
Our government is considering opening borders for tourists from Germany (majority of tourist-intakes in Austria come from neighboring countries like Germany, Belgium and Netherlands). However, I really don't think that is the brightest of ideas right now (as tourists don't need to have an attest that they are healthy). No holiday weighs up to having another full lockdown...

I live in a location where there hasn't been a single case of the virus never mind a death (low population).
its not real, its like watching something on tv, which is exactly what we are doing.
yet we are still in lockdown!!

I live in a location where there hasn't been a single case of the virus never mind a death (low population).
its not real, its like watching something on tv, which is exactly what we are doing.
yet we are still in lockdown!!

Guess that must be surreal...
I've been in numerous hospitals across the country - have seen how people die miserable deaths, alone as relatives are denied access.

The problem with this virus is, you can't see it, you can't grasp (during incubation at least). And if you do, it's already much too late. People can be infected and still be fit (and for their feeling absolutely healthy) and go running in the park or whatever. And potentially kill someone whilst doing so.

We're in quarantine for 7 weeks now and my employer has informed me that I will remain in home office for quite a while longer. I commute 2 hours (one way travel) daily and the risk of getting infected in public transport is just too high.

Americans do have the right to not wear a mask. Government control has gone nuts with this virus. Those that want to will and won’t be affected by those who don’t.

Guess that must be surreal...
I've been in numerous hospitals across the country - have seen how people die miserable deaths, alone as relatives are denied access.

The problem with this virus is, you can't see it, you can't grasp (during incubation at least). And if you do, it's already much too late. People can be infected and still be fit (and for their feeling absolutely healthy) and go running in the park or whatever. And potentially kill someone whilst doing so.

We're in quarantine for 7 weeks now and my employer has informed me that I will remain in home office for quite a while longer. I commute 2 hours (one way travel) daily and the risk of getting infected in public transport is just too high.
I live in a rural part of the south west of the UK, there have been infections and deaths in the south of the county, I am in the north, there have been 2 I think its now 5 deaths on the north coast, I am sort of in between the two in the middle of the county and there hasn't been a single case of the virus in my area.
yet we still have to remain in lockdown.
we can go out for daily exercise, and I go to the local corner store once a week, the rest of the time we must remain at home.
its getting boring now, I don't mind staying home if its my choice-I often do!- but having to stay home by dictate is something else.

I think those who wish to express their RIGHTs to come and go without masks and gloves in infected areas as and when they want should be absolutely allowed to. Providing they sign a document that absolves them from recieving any medical attention if they become infected and making them criminally liable if they infect others. And that all public , state and government facilities have the right to deny them access and employment. Doesnt come any fairer than that. After all thats what Typhoid Marys supporters advocated. With FREEDOM comes RESPONSIBILITY people cannot cheery pick which bits they like. If people have their freedoms and rights as absolutes without responsibility or consequences then you only have anarchy.

People have always cherry picked. If you want those not wearing masks to give up their right to medical care then why not make those who over eat, don’t exercise enough, eat sweets, smoke cigars or drink beer give up their rights to medical care?

I live in a rural part of the south west of the UK, there have been infections and deaths in the south of the county, I am in the north, there have been 2 I think its now 5 deaths on the north coast, I am sort of in between the two in the middle of the county and there hasn't been a single case of the virus in my area.
yet we still have to remain in lockdown.
we can go out for daily exercise, and I go to the local corner store once a week, the rest of the time we must remain at home.
its getting boring now, I don't mind staying home if its my choice-I often do!- but having to stay home by dictate is something else.
It’s getting hard for everyone both financially and emotionally. As I’ve said, we should reopen, but with some safety protocols, or we will be back in the same situation in a matter of weeks. Where I live the county has 150 confirmed cases. You can expect ten times that with those that are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. If we just jump back into large gatherings then everything we have sacrificed for is worthless. Sure, open everything, but make sanitizer and masks a part of daily life until we get a vaccine and proven effective treatment for this bug. It’s just common sense.

There are scientific views that gloves are not at all useful.

People have always cherry picked. If you want those not wearing masks to give up their right to medical care then why not make those who over eat, don’t exercise enough, eat sweets, smoke cigars or drink beer give up their rights to medical care?
The problem with this is if you get fat, smoke or drink too much, (at home), then you aren’t putting anyone else at risk. If you’re walking around in public carrying a virus then you are potentially putting others at a serious risk. The hospitals are going to bill you for the treatment anyways so that’s on them for not living smart.

Latest posts

Back