What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't figure out what is going on in my county. First there was a total of one case, then four cases, then one case, then three cases, then two cases, and then four cases again, then three cases again.

The Georgia State Health Department says one thing, the county health department says another thing and the local media are reporting numerous individual cases that aren't in the official tallies.

Last edited:
Stayed up late tonight as bad storm moved through the area. Rained most of the day. Great part about being being quarantined and inside the house. He can't get away! I got so many honey do's done today it just aint funny. And another list for tomorrow.

Well the number of cases in Tennessee today only went up by 50. It has been rising steadily by atleast 100 per day. Anxious to see what happens tomorrow. Still no Reported cases in this county. Governor closed restaurants to seating cusomers but eased the liquor law so that not only can food be delivered but also booze statewide. I live in a dry county so I am sure the religious groups within the county are not pleased.

We may try to make an online order from Kroger for some fresh fruit and such and some dairy products before things get worse and just pick them up curbside. Trying not to hit the preps until we have to. Traffic from the front window looks pretty light so maybe more people are paying attention. Stay safe

We’ve had our first in the county. Bet you it is someone who fled Atlanta! If too many come here and come down with it our healthcare will easily be overrun.

I can't figure out what is going on in my county. First there was a total of one case, then four cases, then one case, then three cases, then two cases, and then four cases again, then three cases again.

The Georgia State Health Department says one thing, the county health department says another thing and the local media are reporting numerous individual cases that aren't in the official tallies.

My eyes are crossed! LOL:confused:

Still nothing new here. Some schools have shut down and some government slackers have stayed home, no loss there. The mills are still running 24/7 and are hiring, the grocery store is well stocked and hiring. The gas station is still pumping gas and hiring. And most importantly the 2 bars and pizza restaurant are open. Our state has reported 77 cases of the China flu. Of the 77 cases most have recovered and all had very minor symptoms. But yet they are still reporting the same number whether they've recovered or not.
At least from here it appears to be a huge overreaction.
Ok Don, you can send my check anytime now. I could use an extra $2400.

Last edited:
In my neck of the woods, the governor placed everyone on a home lock down until April 30th. The schools are now out until fall. Of course essential people are still working, which is good, but it includes all my kids, so I worry. Had to take my mom to the ER yesterday as we thought she might be having a stroke, she was not thank goodness, just some confusion. Hospital did not keep her as the doc told me “you do not want her staying here!” So I figure they were trying to tell me that have positive cases. One thing I’ve wondered, here in Oklahoma we have a lot of Indian Clinics and Hospitals, do they report to the state their positive cases? I know my kid works at one and was notified that they had a patient that tested positive for COVID-19 two days ago, yet it wasn’t on the OK website... so I was just wondering. Around here, even though we are supposed to be on a kind of lock down, it seems like everyone is just going about as normal. I’ve been watching this since it started, nurse with a special interest in viruses here, and on January 19th knew this would go pandemic... I can’t remember why I knew, I think it was just the explosiveness of it that scared me, so I started prepping more. Always wanted to be a big time prepped but could only do a bit at a time, note medical than anything else... but I did start to get more food, meds, did get a N99 mask.. I did not panic and have not boarded, just got a bit extra each time I went to the store because I knew there would be panic buying and hoarding... started gathering stuff for my mom too. Anyway, I’m skipping off topic... sorry. It’s nice to have these forums to read and talk to people, everyone around here thinks everything is just fine. They don’t realize that if this virus has only a 1% fatality rate (the actual fatality rate is about 3%) that in a country with 330 million people then 3.3 million ppl die.. multiply that by the actual mortality rate plus the fact that no one seems to be prepared and it goes higher. I’m older with underlying health conditions and I don’t want to die.

The virus can’t hurt you if you stay away from others. Keep your mother away from others and I’m sorry...keep the kids away too. They have a much better chance of getting this and coming through it just fine. Most people don’t have big problems. Older people more often do. I believe there will be high death rates in the cities, not the rural areas or smaller towns. They are working hard on a vaccine and also a treatment plan looks promising that will be out before the vaccine. Stay safe at home. Order pickup from the store and wipe or spray everything down. Rubbing alcohol on any wipes work well to wipe your hands and stuff you pickup. This is a great forum. Read and learn. You CAN stay safe!!

I had that yesterday Doc. There were like 3 different numbers on 3 different sites. Then the governor came on this morning and there was a dr from the state lab. She explained that it has to do with paperwork. The number can't officially reflect like deaths until they go through a certain process and have all the signatures actually confirming Covid. I guess there can be a lag between the different departments.

Not much going on here. We are trying to keep busy with home upkeep, gardening and projects around the property. More than anything else to keep our minds off of this crap. Seems like more of this community are paying attention to social distancing and the traffic out on the road is getting lighter every day. Governor has extended school cancellation to the end of April. Supplies are holding up well. In a way I hate this waiting and wondering how bad this is gonna get.

Not much going on here. We are trying to keep busy with home upkeep, gardening and projects around the property. More than anything else to keep our minds off of this crap. Seems like more of this community are paying attention to social distancing and the traffic out on the road is getting lighter every day. Governor has extended school cancellation to the end of April. Supplies are holding up well. In a way I hate this waiting and wondering how bad this is gonna get.

Im in that boat with you DD! Starting to dislike this waiting to see how bad it will get. But, today is going to be lovely so I’m going to work on my garden! That will take my mind off of it.

Im in that boat with you DD! Starting to dislike this waiting to see how bad it will get. But, today is going to be lovely so I’m going to work on my garden! That will take my mind off of it.
We got slow with work so I’m having one of the guys do some weeding and work on the yard here at the property. He wants hours reguardless of what the job is and I’m getting some help, especially while I’m recovering with this sprained ankle. It’s a win win.

Helped a neighbor to put a new roof on his little butchering shop. Taking down the old asbestos corrugated crap from 1959 and putting up an indestructable plastic/fiber material.Twisted my back, almost sprained my wrist with one of the 85 pound panels...painkillers and moonshine later, I'm doing good... don't need to get sent to the old horse slaughter shop yet. GP

Helped a neighbor to put a new roof on his little butchering shop. Taking down the old asbestos corrugated crap from 1959 and putting up an indestructable plastic/fiber material.Twisted my back, almost sprained my wrist with one of the 85 pound panels...painkillers and moonshine later, I'm doing good... don't need to get sent to the old horse slaughter shop yet. GP
Just know your limits and be extra careful to avoid injury right now. Doctors all ready have their hands full. My ankle was feeling better so yesterday I walked more on it than I should have. Last night it ached all night long and was swelling again... it’s my body’s way of saying ‘sit down and shut up since your not a kid anymore’!

We got slow with work so I’m having one of the guys do some weeding and work on the yard here at the property. He wants hours reguardless of what the job is and I’m getting some help, especially while I’m recovering with this sprained ankle. It’s a win win.

It’s also smart. Sprained my ankle last fall and it hurt for days so I feel for you!!

Since I don't know whats going on around me except whats reported to me and what I read, here on the property nothing new.

Son said mainly what he sees on the highway are truckers, truckers outnumber the cars on the highway, traffic is very light. He said he only had four calls during his shift, people are behaving for the most part, even his dog is getting bored, he goes into a empty parking lot and lets the dog run. The girls I haven't heard from in 3 days, I'm assuming they are busy.

The biggest reason they are saying no masks is that people won't use them properly. Medical personnel constantly CHANGE their masks. People at home will instead wear the same mask day after day and thus just build up particles on them, making the mask even more dangerous than not wearing one. Especially given how long the virus can survive on them.

The biggest reason they are saying no masks is that people won't use them properly. Medical personnel constantly CHANGE their masks. People at home will instead wear the same mask day after day and thus just build up particles on them, making the mask even more dangerous than not wearing one. Especially given how long the virus can survive on them.
Which is why it's extra terrifying that they are reusing masks now in NYC hospitals due to the shortage.

Just another day here. Got another baby calf this morning, and one yesterday. Yesterday I was putting in the ear tags and giving shots to the new borns and ended up sticking myself in the leg with the needle. Dam that hurt. It's a little hard holding the calves down and sticking them with needles by myself, and they really don't like the ear tags. Just wait until they get branded next month....
The wife still doesn't know when she'll be able to come home. She says that everyone in her company is running around like headless fools and is scared to death.

This is new for me *sigh
Looks like Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) shut down all traffic cameras streaming

https://www.wsdot.com/Traffic/routelist.aspx

Edited
I guess app for phone works, wife said bandwidth being conserved for internet.

Last edited:
Here, (central FL), most of the counties have a loose Stay at Home order, and some have curfews. Its basically not different than what all have been doing, except it allows them to close non-essential businesses that aren't able to practice social-distancing. Most here seem to be pretty good and all still seem to be polite, so that's good. Granted though, it's been a few days since I was last out. I go to stores only to replenish, so we always have supplies for the same period of time. All of the hard to find stuff, I have plenty of, so these are simple short trips, in and out, getting only a few replacement items (or fresh meat and produce).

It's amazing how many things were out last time. Toilet paper, Paper towels, bleach, and sanitizer of course. But also: eggs, rice, beans, etc. Then others were nearly non-existent: fresh meat, canned veggies, butter, milk, water, and bread were there, but very limited options. For me, seeing these empty stores every few days, is really the only indication anything is wrong. Otherwise, my life hasn't changed much, other than getting to work from home all the days, instead of only a little.

EDIT: None of that really mattered to me. Things I got are more like: cookies, orange juice, ziploc bags, OTC meds, etc. so none of the hard to find items, and really just more comfort stuff.

Needed to help some friends and family. Loaded up about 30 lbs. of food for an older friend living on welfare, another 30-35 for my son, another 30 for the local circus which has been closed down by the city and cannot earn any money to survive with and today another 30 pounds for my "adopted" son, sick at home and also on welfare. It is a nice feeling to be able to have enough for the whole family and even a friend, AND still have so much left that I did not even really see a dent in the shelves and stocks. Thank God for the many years of prepping which my wife at beginning thought "it is enuff" but now is happy for the extras...God bless us all...GP

Latest posts

Back