What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BE ready and able to go get her Arctic. No job and no paycheck is worth your family. Hope I am not stepping on your toes since I am just another name in the forum, but you know I'm right. Be well, Gary
With the borders shut down I wouldn't be able to drive through Canada to get her. Besides, she's young and healthy and the odds of her catching the China flu are virtually zero. Especially since she's in a very remote location and her camp is shut down, nobody in or out.

OK, you know best. Just wanted to let you know, we are thinking of both of you and knowing the separation in these times can be hell. Can you guys chat with some sort of software or do you have a HAM/ SW?
We're able to text a couple times a day. Plus I'm able to call her when I'm on top of a hill like now or from town. During our married life we've been separated due to work for over 50% of the time. I guess we're used to it. She's planing on retiring in a couple more years.

We're still living in a bubble here. I guess with only 5 confirmed cases in the county people are getting complacent. Publix was better stocked today at 5 pm than it was last week at 10 am. They even had a package of toilet paper, and a fair amount of paper towels. More milk, bread, eggs, meat and produce than last week.

I didn't see any masks or gloves this time.

We're still living in a bubble here. I guess with only 5 confirmed cases in the county people are getting complacent. Publix was better stocked today at 5 pm than it was last week at 10 am. They even had a package of toilet paper, and a fair amount of paper towels. More milk, bread, eggs, meat and produce than last week.

I think that's the way it is in most of the country outside of the highly populated areas. If I lived in NYC or LA then I might be a little more concerned. Unless I go to town I never see another person.

Needed to help some friends and family. Loaded up about 30 lbs. of food for an older friend living on welfare, another 30-35 for my son, another 30 for the local circus which has been closed down by the city and cannot earn any money to survive with and today another 30 pounds for my "adopted" son, sick at home and also on welfare. It is a nice feeling to be able to have enough for the whole family and even a friend, AND still have so much left that I did not even really see a dent in the shelves and stocks. Thank God for the many years of prepping which my wife at beginning thought "it is enuff" but now is happy for the extras...God bless us all...GP

Yes, God Bless us all!! You have to feel good about helping so many people!

Hope you were that one weirdo in PPE..... seriously I can’t believe how many people still don’t see this as a real threat.

At this point, whoever doesn’t believe this is a serious problem not only for us, but the world... isn’t worth communicating with!
Agree 100%.

One other statistic that I want to throw out there: a 1% increase in unemployment correlates to a 14.6 per 100,000 increase in violent crime.

We have had a 3.2 million rise in unemployment, which surpasses all previous records . . . even during the Great Depression.

Do the math, and you can forsee a horrible epidemic in violent crime in the near future.

See link below:

The Effects of Unemployment on Crime Rates in the US - SMARTech

Agree 100%.

One other statistic that I want to throw out there: a 1% increase in unemployment correlates to a 14.6 per 100,000 increase in violent crime.

We have had a 3.2 million rise in unemployment, which surpasses all previous records . . . even during the Great Depression.

Do the math, and you can forsee a horrible epidemic in violent crime in the near future.

See link below:

Not to mention divorce rates, domestic violence and sucide rates will go up too.

Not to mention divorce rates, domestic violence and sucide rates will go up too.
Yeah, just think of all those men out there offing themselves because their wives drove them crazy! ( my wife may take the shorter route and just shoot me now)....

Agree 100%.

See link below:

Pretty sobering post Kevin. History proves you right. Humans are very predictable in a crisis. Make it a full blown one like this...who knows how bad crime is going to get?! No wonder both my boys text me to make sure to carry my gun on me! Had a lady tell me today that she was shopping and moved from behind her cart and some creep snatched her wallet. This is a very small town and that crap never happens here...at least it didn’t until now.

Pretty sobering post Kevin. History proves you right. Humans are very predictable in a crisis. Make it a full blown one like this...who knows how bad crime is going to get?! No wonder both my boys text me to make sure to carry my gun on me! Had a lady tell me today that she was shopping and moved from behind her cart and some creep snatched her wallet. This is a very small town and that crap never happens here...at least it didn’t until now.
I agree will all you said, and I'll raise you one:

I was at Walmart, and in one of the few times in my adult life, I came very, very close to punching an older man in the face.

A woman had her two kids with her--and both kids had masks--and a man was trying to take the mask away from the younger kid when mom ducked into the rest room.

I'm not a violent man, but I came very close to beating the living **** out of this walking piece of filth. I said something to him, and he walked away.

If things were only a little different, I could be under arrest right now.

I agree will all you said, and I'll raise you one:

I was at Walmart, and in one of the few times in my adult life, I came very, very close to punching an older man in the face.

A woman had her two kids with her--and both kids had masks--and a man was trying to take the mask away from the younger kid when mom ducked into the rest room.

I'm not a violent man, but I came very close to beating the living **** out of this walking piece of filth. I said something to him, and he walked away.

If things were only a little different, I could be under arrest right now.

Oh my gosh Kevin! That is awful! It was good of you to intervene. You did the right thing!

Oh my gosh Kevin! That is awful! It was good of you to intervene. You did the right thing!
Thank you.

He--literally--said that kids aren't dying from it, but older people are . . . so he was entitled since there were none to buy.

He seemed to be in his 70s.

I came very close to punching him in the face despite his age.

Last edited:
I broke camp this afternoon to run to town to fill the LP tanks. The hardware store where I fill them had a few cars. I asked the "LP filler" guy if it had been slow. In an exasperated tone, he said they were very, very busy. Everyone was coming in for paint and home repair stuff... as long as folks have time off, apparently they are doing house work. I'm not leaving the house again...!!

Hey, I agree with you there! I got a pack of some that’s thinner than the rice paper that Kung fu walked on when he graduated his training! Horrid stuff....

Places I've been around world, I'de be glad for some of that cheap rice paper T.P.
Quality toilet paper is only as good as long as you have it, cheap toilet paper is a blessing if it's all you can get!

We are still self quarantined on the place. Spent the day trying to stay busy with yard work on the property. It was an absolutely beautiful spring day. The birds were singing. We were mowing grass and doing garden chores like every spring. It seems almost eerily quiet. No traffic noise in the distance. Like the world is just standing still holding it's breath to see when the bottom is going to drop out.

My oldest son texted this morning and I guess he is going to try to bug out. He lives in Central Florida and is going to try to make it back up here to a very isolated rural property that we own. On the way picking up his baby sister. Their plan is to spend 14 days at the rural property (cabin) and quarantine. Then possibly join up here and help us hold the fort down. I hate them on the road but atleast they are together. Both are single. My oldest daughter also checked in and my granddaughter (17) had ACL surgery today from a high school basketball injury. They could not postpone the damage was too bad. She has had such a hard time. She is a senior and now no prom, senior trip or graduation ceremony. My heart just breaks for her. Meanwhile my daughter is homeschooling the other 3 grands all under the age of 10. Lord I would not want that job. Grandma would just flunk them all and we would go fishing! National Fishing Day:D

Tn case total is up to 957 but no reported cases is the county. Don't know how they would know we don't have a hospital to test at.

Be careful and stay alert

We are still self quarantined on the place. Spent the day trying to stay busy with yard work on the property. It was an absolutely beautiful spring day. The birds were singing. We were mowing grass and doing garden chores like every spring. It seems almost eerily quiet. No traffic noise in the distance. Like the world is just standing still holding it's breath to see when the bottom is going to drop out.

My oldest son texted this morning and I guess he is going to try to bug out. He lives in Central Florida and is going to try to make it back up here to a very isolated rural property that we own. On the way picking up his baby sister. Their plan is to spend 14 days at the rural property (cabin) and quarantine. Then possibly join up here and help us hold the fort down. I hate them on the road but atleast they are together. Both are single. My oldest daughter also checked in and my granddaughter (17) had ACL surgery today from a high school basketball injury. They could not postpone the damage was too bad. She has had such a hard time. She is a senior and now no prom, senior trip or graduation ceremony. My heart just breaks for her. Meanwhile my daughter is homeschooling the other 3 grands all under the age of 10. Lord I would not want that job. Grandma would just flunk them all and we would go fishing! National Fishing Day:D

Tn case total is up to 957 but no reported cases is the county. Don't know how they would know we don't have a hospital to test at.

It sounds like you have a good family that pulls together when needed. Wishing y'all the best.

Am glad to hear you have a space for them to self quarantine in for at least the 14 days. We have an unused cabin here as well that has been sitting idle for a while now but would be usable with some effort. Unfortunately my family are spread to the winds in Utah, NY and some in Fla. the fla ones could drive if need be but the others would be a flight. Can you even fly domestically still? Not to mention would you want to go through a major airport right now or even on a plane seat? I think right now traveling by car would be the only choice I would consider.

It’s another beautiful day here DD! I’m sure yours is lovely too. Will be finishing my garden today. Got a lot done yesterday. You’ve got to be happy your kids are coming to you. I would be.

My oldest and his family are set for long term...they have a farm way out in the country. He’s a heck of a gardener and hunter. Uses a bow a lot and even a large pistol at times...just for the challenge of it. :D You sound like me with teaching! Yet my oldest daughter has always homeschooled hers. Yep, no time off for them! She isn’t letting them have even a day off...while all the other kids in the neighborhood run around. Yesterday she was exasperated that she had to run kids off yet again. At least they have a large fenced yard and a garden as well as 10 fruit trees.

Please keep us up to date on your kids. Will say some prayers for safe travel. Stay positive and safe!

Thank you.

He--literally--said that kids aren't dying from it, but older people are . . . so he was entitled since there were none to buy.

He seemed to be in his 70s.

I came very close to punching him in the face despite his age.
Generally I believe in minding my own business, but this is one case where I probably would have intervined too.

Am glad to hear you have a space for them to self quarantine in for at least the 14 days. We have an unused cabin here as well that has been sitting idle for a while now but would be usable with some effort. Unfortunately my family are spread to the winds in Utah, NY and some in Fla. the fla ones could drive if need be but the others would be a flight. Can you even fly domestically still? Not to mention would you want to go through a major airport right now or even on a plane seat? I think right now traveling by car would be the only choice I would consider.
Hey Brent, I'm pretty sure that there are roads between Utah and your place. Just an fyi.

Nothing new here except we've had sunshine for 2 days. I hurt myself so badly yesterday cutting trees. Ice and heat pad and I'm back outside today. Rain again tomorrow. Boo

I am so glad I dont live in Chicago. So now you can't be outside at all or they arrest you. Call me stupid, but fresh air and sunshine are good things. You can't even be sitting on your own porch even if you are completely alone. That is ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back