What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear for any loss, cattle are money on the hoof, milk and finally food. But if it just happens, you got some bait for the traps or bait to get the coyotes and wolves to come to. That is money too. Greetings to your family and hope your wife steals a plane and comes back home...GP
Yep. I was planing to keep this little heifer to replace one of the older cows. Maybe the prez will send me a check for her too.
They're telling the wife that she has to stay at work until the end of May at least.

Yep. We have 2 big bulls and 3 little bulls.
My guess is that one of your bulls went after momma and baby got in the way. We always have to separate out momma when she has a calf or it will end up dead. . . Shortly after birth momma gives off a scent that drive the bulls crazy. Goats are not like that and I keep .y bucks in with my mommas.

Been there done that and had to learn the hard way.

Last edited:
My guess is that one of your bulls went after momma and baby got in the way. We always have to separate out momma when she has a calf or it will end up dead. . . Shortly after birth momma gives off a scent that drive the bulls crazy. Goats are not like that and I keep .y bucks in with my mommas.

I thought of that too. During my "autospy" I checked for broken bones, bruising, internal bleeding. Nothing that was obvious.
Normally these cows will keep their calves well hidden away from the rest of the herd for a few days. I'm watching a new momma right now that just left the herd and walked about a mile to where she hid her baby. I need to catch it soon and give him his shots and ear tags while I still can.

I thought of that too. During my "autospy" I checked for broken bones, bruising, internal bleeding. Nothing that was obvious.
Normally these cows will keep their calves well hidden away from the rest of the herd for a few days. I'm watching a new momma right now that just left the herd and walked about a mile to where she hid her baby. I need to catch it soon and give him his shots and ear tags while I still can.

And the chaos continues locally. Yesterday the Georgia Department of Health said we had 8 cases in the county. Today they say we have 7. I don't know WTHeck is going on with the county board of health and they don't even have a web site.
We had our first case reported yesterday and now it has been removed from the Georgia site. Weird.

So on a couple of offgridding and homesteading forums my wife occasionally browses some folks who live out of tiown on homesteads or remoter homes are now starting to patrol after dark and some townies are starting to venture out of town looking to steal crops and critters.

So on a couple of offgridding and homesteading forums my wife occasionally browses some folks who live out of tiown on homesteads or remoter homes are now starting to patrol after dark and some townies are starting to venture out of town looking to steal crops and critters.
I wondered how long it would take to start seeing that happen. We haven't seen it yet in my area but might be a matter of time.

Don't know about you Brent but everything on the tv and radio is virus related. That is all anyone is talking about. For our sanity we are just going to take the boat and hit the woods for awhile. Just get away from it. No people. Just us and the dogs. Do a little fishing. Picnic lunch and a cooler and spend the day together. Just need the distance. Old folks date night.

An upside is that with the theaters not open and people not going anyway, there are some new theater movies available on tv!

I have belonged to a site called Self-Sufficiency Homesteading Off-Grid Living and Survival Prepping on Facebook for a long time. Guy from Dunlap California posted this 2 hours ago. " Well it’s begun. An out of area group came to do a home invasion/robbery on a homestead near me. They then fled and are held up in the 7th day Adventist Church. Hostage count unknown. This is now a hostage/active shooter situation. " Along with picture. It has not been picked up by the press so I have no way of confirming but thought interesting.

1-100_3425.jpg
1-100_4885.jpg

They are now reporting 40 cases and one death in my county. The death was an elderly person with other conditions, but most of the cases are younger people. Only 52% are travel related meaning that there is significant community spread and expect the numbers to be going up quickly now.

My next guess would be diarrhea onset by coccidia maybe? We had one that was about 3 days old. She was fine that morning but by the afternoon she was panting. Thought it was maybe the heat since she was born off season and brown so drenched her down to cool her off. By that evening she wasn't able to get up and gets office was closed. Ended up putting a little bleach in water and bottle feeding it to her. I stayed out in the barn all night trying to keep her stimulated and trying to make her stand. She made it. Next morning hunny went to the vet for some meds that included scours meds for pigs and something else. . . It was a very quick onset and in all honesty I thought we were going to end up losing her. Since it had been muddy here due to wet conditions, mommas utters were not so clean. I really think that is how she picked up the had bacteria that was in her tummy. I don't know how your place is right now, but if snow is melting causing muddy conditions maybe?

Last edited:
My next guess would be diarrhea onset by coccidia maybe? We had one that was about 3 days old. She was fine that morning but by the afternoon she was panting. Thought it was maybe the best since she was born off season and brown so drenched her down to cool her off. By that evening she wasn't able to get up and gets office was closed. Ended up putting a little bleach in water and bottle feeding it to her. I stayed out in the barn all night trying to keep her stimulated and trying to make her stand. She made it. Next morning hunny went to the vet for some meds that included scours meds for pigs and something else. . . It was a very quick onset and in all honesty I thought we were going to end up losing her. Since it had been muddy here due to wet conditions, mommas utters were not so clean. I really think that is how she picked up the had bacteria that was in her tummy. I don't know how your place is right now, but if snow is melting causing muddy conditions?
No diarrhea and no scours. Its a complete mystery to me. She looked pefect inside and out. I'll talk with the vet about her next week and see what he thinks.
Our snow is melting slowly here and the only mud is in the lower areas, where the cows don't go. The cows mainly stick to the south facing slopes and the tops of the lower hills where the snow is mostly gone and the ground is dry, plus that's where I feed them. The upper part of the ranch is still under 2-3 feet of snow.
This spring and summer I'm going to add a couple miles of new fencing and complete the big working corral. My plans are to have more areas to separate the cattle. Plus I'm going to add an electric fence around a 10 acre piece that I fenced last year and keep the bulls in when they aren't "working". Along with this new fencing I need to drill another well for stock water. It takes time to build up a place like this when I'm on my own.

Hang on to your hats Tennessee preppers we have another round of heavy winds/rain/hail /possible tornadoes coming through late tonight. Last thing we need on top of a pandemic. Batten down and turn on that weather radio and be safe.

On the flip side it was a beautiful day today on the plateau. Weather in the 80's and the sun shining. As my husband and I sat in the boat and fished the lake the red bud trees are blooming as well as the dogwood and wild plum. The woods were gorgeous. It just seemed impossible all this illness and death that we are facing in the coming weeks. As we drove through communities people were mowing lawns and washing cars. Laundry hanging on lines in the sunshine. Kids riding bikes. We had to wonder if maybe this is all just a bad dream and we will wake up soon.

Just a footnote...the ticks are out :cool: Stay safe

No diarrhea and no scours. Its a complete mystery to me. She looked pefect inside and out. I'll talk with the vet about her next week and see what he thinks.
Our snow is melting slowly here and the only mud is in the lower areas, where the cows don't go. The cows mainly stick to the south facing slopes and the tops of the lower hills where the snow is mostly gone and the ground is dry, plus that's where I feed them. The upper part of the ranch is still under 2-3 feet of snow.
This spring and summer I'm going to add a couple miles of new fencing and complete the big working corral. My plans are to have more areas to separate the cattle. Plus I'm going to add an electric fence around a 10 acre piece that I fenced last year and keep the bulls in when they aren't "working". Along with this new fencing I need to drill another well for stock water. It takes time to build up a place like this when I'm on my own.
Please let us know what your vet thinks. I really hate losing babies, especially if it could have been prevented and it's just something I needed to look out for. It takes so long to get a calf. . . Nice to be able to share experiences and learn from others.

Back