What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's new for me is I'm not leaving my apartment at all except for work where I can control who comes in and out of the office, or to go for a walk (staying away from everyone else). I might venture to the store again next week and see how things are going out there.

Like most people, I am working from home most of the time. I do go into the office once to twice a week. But there are very few people there so keeping a distance is no problem. Quite the opposite, if I wanted to talk to someone it would be very hard find someone. Occasional trip to the store (which are generally well stocked) but that's it. I do try to get outside as much as possible. Weather is really starting to warm up so I have lots of grass to cut and yard work. Trimmed up my roses yesterday. I am also redoing some of my flooring. Removing the older "dirty" carpet with Laminate flooring in the living room and dining room. Did the den last fall, so just continuing on with the project. This should help keep me out of trouble for a few days. :D

Everyone take care. This will soon end, one way or another.

I work at normal Work time but my GF work now only 3 Days per Week.
Toilet Paper is still not available but live goes on. I have my Stuff together and when an complete Shutdown would start we could stay at home a Month without Problems.

But...
I read today in the News that the USA bought Masks for France at an Chinese Airport for the three timed Price?
I fully Understand that everyone try to get his People through the Epidemic but at the End the Nation's should stand together in my Options.
Even Russia send Medical Supplies to the USA and also here in Europe we try our best to help each other.
But when now the Gouverments beat each other to get still sold Stuff things will get Worse I think...

I pray for you that everyone will be fine.

Greetings:

We continue to work in the garden doing mulching and weeding. While we were in the back yard the elderly lady on the property behind us came to the back fence. She was out walking her dogs. She asked if we had any eggs. I guess she went to the small community grocery and the eggs there were marked up to $5 a dozen. Ground meat 73% $8 a pound. I guess they have doubled and tripled every price in the store. She is 86. My husband says from now on we will have to start delivering her a small care package and leaving on her porch once a week or so. Jeez makes me so mad I could spit. When all this is over I think I will not be shopping there.

businesses who resort to gouging, are really shooting themselves in the foot,,, dont think people will forget their BS tactics,, and by all means we shouldnt forget how they act,, if there were ever a time for even-handedness in our communities, Id think now would be it.

Not in my town, but another city in TX is requiring all residents to wear mask or other type of face covering (home made masks, scarf, etc) when out of the house if they may be around other people (grocery shopping, pumping gas, etc). This is based on the new recommendations that have come from the White house task force. I just "love" it when I was right all along.

Not in my town, but another city in TX is requiring all residents to wear mask or other type of face covering (home made masks, scarf, etc) when out of the house if they may be around other people (grocery shopping, pumping gas, etc). This is based on the new recommendations that have come from the White house task force. I just "love" it when I was right all along.
Lots here on the forum saw the need to get masks before this mess started. I feel it was just common sense that doesn't seem so common these days. My biggest weakness has been not wearing a mask when I interact with my son and employees in the mornings. I keep distance but after the news about a sneeze spreading 26 ft in no time at all I will wear a mask from now on. Even though My wife and I don’t leave the property, the guys do and I expect everything they touch to be contaminated. I always have a bottle of my homemade hand sanitizer in my pocket and wash up immediately when I go near the shop.

Wife sending me to get packages, and after I set them in their holding location, she washes me like this

100.webp

Fully locked down now, no one in our out , if we are short of anything we will just have to do without it. Stupid crimes going on like mass tyre slashings, setting trash bins on fire, deliberate large drunken gathering of teens who wont obey the rules.

Bill, where is that happening? It goes to show that there is only a very thin veneer Of “civility” that is a disguise for the underlying brutality of the human animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern England and we have just heard that a herd of semi tame goats living in County Durham have all been shot dead for fun?? Supermarkets getting burgled, cars getting torched etc.

We used to say Civilisation is only 3 missed meals away from anarchy, I think that no longer applies, Civility collapses as soon as the scum can take advantage of it.

We're basically under state-wide shelter in place now, though the governor said it's not shelter in place, probably to save face since he said he was not going to issue one. MS (where my parents live) is under shelter in place now too. They needed it badly or they were going to become the next Louisiana.

Northern England and we have just heard that a herd of semi tame goats living in County Durham have all been shot dead for fun?? Supermarkets getting burgled, cars getting torched etc.

We used to say Civilisation is only 3 missed meals away from anarchy, I think that no longer applies, Civility collapses as soon as the scum can take advantage of it.
that's very true Bill, seems some people don't think the lockdown applies to them and social distancing is for other folk.
Maggie Thatcher use to say there is no such thing as society, and I have long agreed with that statement.

that's very true Bill, seems some people don't think the lockdown applies to them and social distancing is for other folk.
Maggie Thatcher use to say there is no such thing as society, and I have long agreed with that statement.

Margaret Thatcher was a great woman and leader. I admire her greatly! One of my favorite quotes..

“You do not Achieve Anything...without trouble, Ever.

Dunno about you guys but as this compounded mess unfurls I'm getting the feeling that I grossly underestimated what supplies I needed by 4 times. No trouble surviving 6 month but I fear the virus followed by the mega crash is going to take at least 2 years to deal with.

I like to think that most people are basically good. Maybe naive but I’d rather be an optimist. There is no doubt though there are plenty of really rotten ones that only care about themselves.
I think most people are damn good for nothings and I wouldn't trust them to give me the time of day.
put it down to a life times experience of the human condition.

Dunno about you guys but as this compounded mess unfurls I'm getting the feeling that I grossly underestimated what supplies I needed by 4 times. No trouble surviving 6 month but I fear the virus followed by the mega crash is going to take at least 2 years to deal with.
I agree that there are going to be affects for years from this. The good economy we have had since 2009 is over. People have survived tough times in the past though. Just keep your eyes open and make smart decisions on a daily basis to improve your chances of getting through as well as can be.

People will still need to eat, deliveries still need to be made, and the wheels of our communities will still turn. Just a lot slower than we were used to. I agree there will be opportunities for anyone that’s ambitious and willing to work hard. At this point I am mostly content to tend my garden and let the world worry with these things.

People will still need to eat, deliveries still need to be made, and the wheels of our communities will still turn. Just a lot slower than we were used to. I agree there will be opportunities for anyone that’s ambitious and willing to work hard. At this point I am mostly content to tend my garden and let the world worry with these things.
I need to see if my old tiller will run,,,,,,

I'm not too worried about the flu but I am worried about the government's response to it. If we don't get the economy running again soon this could lead to a major depression, if not a total collapse. I don't care to debate the seriousness of this virus. I just don't think that destroying our economy and trashing our constitution is the right answer.
I'm heading to the bank now and try to close my accounts. I don't trust the banks to be open much longer, or the government to put limits on how much cash a person can withdraw. The only bank in my county was closed yesterday due to an "emergency".

Oh why did you have to put my greatest fear into print! While I have enough for a bunch of people for a year or so...who knows if it will be enough? Also, it’s not like it’s steaks, crab or lobster. We don’t have beef cattle or pigs. :(

Latest posts

Back