Who are they gonna call?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
City people will be provided for. Government will have lots of food water stations set up .
Its the rural people that wont be able to get to the help. Just like most anything if you live more then a mile , elderly, cant walk your are on your own. Im 12 miles from a town if i dont have transportation a foodbank or free water or ice handout during a long power outage is useless. We have had snow storms and people needed help if you really have an emergency you try to get to the fire department. By foot if no phone is available.

City people will be provided for. Government will have lots of food water stations set up .
Its the rural people that wont be able to get to the help. Just like most anything if you live more then a mile , elderly, cant walk your are on your own. Im 12 miles from a town if i dont have transportation a foodbank or free water or ice handout during a long power outage is useless. We have had snow storms and people needed help if you really have an emergency you try to get to the fire department. By foot if no phone is available.
I dont know about in America but in Britain food has to come in from the outside and waste has to be taken away.
in a SHTF situation none of this will happen.

Can we have a little more info, Sup? I mean we didn't just get beamed aboard, right? Did we drive there in our car? Do we live there? My thinking it that we will have more than the clothes on our back.
They have always lived there.
You have eaten thru your 1 month of food you had stored there and the stores will likely be empty for months more.
My main goal was to highlight the conundrum millions will face with no food available, and no fuel to travel to find more.
Bread lines anyone?
They should be more into prepping than we homesteaders are. :rolleyes:
Edit: The population density and complete lack of local resources, scares me.

Last edited:
Bread lines anyone?
They should be more into prepping than we homesteaders are. :rolleyes:
Edit: The population density and complete lack of local resources, scares me.
NYC 2026? :dunno:
Screenshot_20240702-115653_kindlephoto-299449501.png

Or NYC 1929?
Or both?

I dont know about in America but in Britain food has to come in from the outside and waste has to be taken away.
in a SHTF situation none of this will happen.
Many folks don't think about the garbage they produce (including bathrooming) - where would it go?

Many folks don't think about the garbage they produce (including bathrooming) - where would it go?
Sling-shot!!!:woo hoo:
..if not available poop in heavy duty bag and have a premade giant sling shot bands rigged up to sling the little bags of poop far from your building...hey we talking survival here..sling it at night in dark to not be seen doing it...oh pee..just dump it down drain and probably need to pour a dash of water or clorox/bleach once a week for smells...but no solids.

You have more confidence in the government than I. I expect that they will save the food stores for themselves and the military/security personnel to keep them in power.

The city folks think THEY will be the ones to make it. The rural folks thing THEY are the ones who are going to make it. More likely, the truth is neither of them are going to make it significantly longer than the other. City people need rural stuff (that's where most food comes from - farms), rural people need city stuff (that's where most mechanical stuff and tools come from - factories).

Last edited:
The city folks think THEY will be the ones to make it. The rural folks thing THEY are the ones who are going to make it. More likely, the truth is neither of them are going to make it significantly longer than the other. City people need rural stuff (that's where most food comes from - farms), rural people need city stuff (that's where most mechanical stuff and tools come from - factories).
I think rural folks will survive longer without new tools, than people in skyscrapers with no food. Just my opinion :rolleyes:.

Ok, you are supposed to pretend you live like Right Here:
View attachment 156563
Somebody does, and so do hundreds of others. :(
No food or fuel, whatcha gonna do?
If I was stuck there, my plan would be avoid people, head out of the city on foot, maybe stop by the city zoo and pick up a light meal on the way out.

I think rural folks will survive longer without new tools, than people in skyscrapers with no food. Just my opinion :rolleyes:.
if a rural person has the right tools, skills and seeds they can grow their own food, city people cannot especially those in tower blocks.

if a rural person has the right tools, skills and seeds they can grow their own food, city people cannot especially those in tower blocks.
What are they gonna eat?
...Each other? :oops:
So far, no suggestion on who they can call to save them. :(

Family gathering & working together, using all our skills & knowledge to replace all the necessities. Shelter, water & food.
Home, water systems & perennial garden are in place.

What are they gonna eat?
...Each other? :oops:
So far, no suggestion on who they can call to save them. :(
As far as I know, Jesus is the only one that can save you. If you're talking about saving our mortal bodies, well then, only ourselves are capable of that.

Now since most here live rural or semi-rural...city people have a different way and vastly different skills. Despite popular belief, they are capable of coming together and supporting each other. I know this because of living in the shadow of NYC on 911 and I was also present for the "great blackout of 2003." Urban people are usually very adept at reading others and their intentions.

In @Supervisor42 's original post there is still electricity and internet. If there is rationing, as stated, then there will be information on official, local charity (churches, synagogues, etc), club websites. There is also the urban information highway, i.e. the local convenience store or park where everyone hangs out. It will be up to the individual to decide what is fact and what is adulterated (telephone game style) information. There will always be mafioso "taking care" of their communities.

This is a hard scenario to war-game. In dense population, information and resources will change at a much faster pace and you will be relying on your intuition and instincts to react.

I lived in a city for over 40 years and I saw what happened during covid and the lockdowns, and I can tell you all urban people can do is PANIC.
I disagree.

You and I have had different real-life experiences. Maybe it's just the difference between the UK and the USA.

I disagree.

You and I have had different real-life experiences. Maybe it's just the difference between the UK and the USA.
I can only go on what I have seen for myself and act accordingly.
many people expect their population to do better but few actually do.
urban populations are mostly reliant on the services the cities offer but these may be absent in times of need.
like in WW2 during "the blitz" electricity was non available and food was severely rationed, a lot of houses were bombed and there were lots of dead bodies.

Last edited:
I went back and re read the actual question. now this would assume that you must know a few people, so depending on who you know you should probably know that perishables would probably keep moving for a while at least somebody has eggs, somebody has dairy , unless . gov has mess them up. you call someone, get what information you can, and make sure to get at least 1 more lead from them. find the distribution centers in the area. in between start plannning for things to get stupider

I was laying in bed this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, and I was thinking, (yeah, I know I shouldn't do that :().
Thinking about the people in the big metropolis cities...
Here's the Sourdough scenario:

It is not TEOTWAWKI, but the country has fallen on hard times.
A smart country has damaged our supply-chain infrastructure.
There is plenty of:
Electric power.
Running water.
Internet (and financial transactions).
But...
The grocery stores are empty, and the gas stations are all closed, (no gas or diesel).
There is food and fuel being rationed out in a couple of places, but you don't know where.
Who are you gonna call?

First off, take state and federal government offices off the list, they won't even answer their phones in good times. :mad:
More details...are we stuck inside city and cant leave...like being under siege?

i know you say no fuel...but can i walk and leave..that takes care of a bunch if i can run the gauntlet to escape.

Last edited:
NYC 2026? :dunno:
View attachment 156646
Or NYC 1929?
Or both?
the only reason we dont see lines like this now is because of charities and ebt cards....it puts logistics in hands of card holder to go through various supply chains now like grocery stores,restaurants etc. to purchase food from instead of standing in lines...well we seen some lines as of late..but not like during the 1920's.

theres some places in europe in old newspaper archives talk about every tree being stripped bare and ate and even every blade of grass pulled up and eaten.

Last edited:
I know people who live in urban areas, they dont have farm shops, roadside stalls, farmers markets or anything like that, all they have is supermarkets, once the supply lines are cut these will empty within 24-36 hours maybe even less, then the dying starts.

I guess it is ok if I offer an answer to my own question.
I can only think of one...

image.jpeg

the Boots on the ground might be able to help, but as as a whole the red cross has a bad reputation for the top of the pyramid skimming hard. It might just be a location thing. the American red cross might be clean???

the Boots on the ground might be able to help, but as as a whole the red cross has a bad reputation for the top of the pyramid skimming hard. It might just be a location thing. the American red cross might be clean???
I think they are. :)
The big clue is, you don't see continuous $60,000 30-second ads on TV asking for donations.
And at least they are not run by the state or the federal government. :rolleyes:
Just this past May...
https://www.wtxl.com/southeast-tallahassee/american-red-cross-mobile-crews-give-out-free-hot-meals-to-thousands-in-tallahassee

the whole supply chain has alot of weak links. any of which could cripple the whole of north america. Years ago prolly a decade ago as storm damaged a few refineries in texas. shouldn't effect Alberta WRONG. Our fuel supplier caught wind early and was able to help a large portion of his customer base, the guys who didn't get him to top their tanks were sorry. it got sketchy for a while. Trucking basicly stopped for a while. if you are living a just in time life, things could get sketcy

the whole supply chain has alot of weak links. any of which could cripple the whole of north america. Years ago prolly a decade ago as storm damaged a few refineries in texas. shouldn't effect Alberta WRONG. Our fuel supplier caught wind early and was able to help a large portion of his customer base, the guys who didn't get him to top their tanks were sorry. it got sketchy for a while. Trucking basicly stopped for a while. if you are living a just in time life, things could get sketcy
JIT SUCKS. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that 💩 anymore.

Latest posts

Back