Concern about missing members

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attention everyone... just spoke with Snappy1 She has been without power since Tuesday afternoon. Still without power today, no internet... no estimate where ele will be restored. Managed to get her phone charged at a neighbors and called me...

Wants everyone to know she's okay, will be back on when she can.

Also... my power was off 15hrs, came back on this morning... lots of storms here in the SE.
THANK YOU! Missed her this morning and was wondering!! Glad she is ok!! Glad you are ok too Peanut!! 15 hours is long enough, hope they get Snappy's on real soon!!💗

Attention everyone... just spoke with Snappy1 She has been without power since Tuesday afternoon. Still without power today, no internet... no estimate where ele will be restored. Managed to get her phone charged at a neighbors and called me...

Wants everyone to know she's okay, will be back on when she can.

Also... my power was off 15hrs, came back on this morning... lots of storms here in the SE.
Thank you for letting us know P.
Y'all stay safe and keep well.

There’s plenty of reasons for a person to go missing or quit voluntarily. I’ve been there when I’ve said “screw this ****” ….
But if a person is well known enough it would be cool if they said/explained it to a mod/admin so if questions were raised, it could be relayed to concerned members.

Then there’s the involuntary reasons. I went as far as to tell my sister about some of my online history, showed her some web sites… thinking I’d give her my user names and passwords. She knew what I was getting at and broke out paper and pen. I said not now. But even without that she could pass the word of my demise when it will happen sooner or later.

Maybe in my will I’ll give her my passwords. :p

There’s plenty of reasons for a person to go missing or quit voluntarily. I’ve been there when I’ve said “screw this ****” ….
But if a person is well known enough it would be cool if they said/explained it to a mod/admin so if questions were raised, it could be relayed to concerned members.

Then there’s the involuntary reasons. I went as far as to tell my sister about some of my online history, showed her some web sites… thinking I’d give her my user names and passwords. She knew what I was getting at and broke out paper and pen. I said not now. But even without that she could pass the word of my demise when it will happen sooner or later.

Maybe in my will I’ll give her my passwords. :p
We have had members here who have "disappeared" and a family member has come on to give us "the news." I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't appreciate that. I know there are disagreements at times which is bound to happen with so many chiming in on any given topic, but we as a whole seem to care about one another. There are some good folks out in this crazy ol' world despite appearances.

I've been volunteering for the last 15 years on numerous forums. So far, I have been notified 6 different times that a beloved member has passed away. it never gets easy. On one forum, a beloved moderator on another forum let a group of us know that he was going out to mow his lawn, when the temp was over 100 degrees with similar humidity. We begged him to wait, but he was stubborn. He never returned, and a few days later, we spoke to his wife who said he passed away while mowing the lawn.

RIP Tom!

temp was over 100 degrees with similar humidity. We begged him to wait, but he was stubborn. He never returned

RIP Tom!

One of the first things that go with age is our body's ability to regulate internal heat. That 'age' is different for all of us. It happens to those with other health issues sooner.

I was baling hay one august, dad ran the rake for me. It was hot, over 100f, high humidity. I was okay but dad, in his late 70's, didn't fare as well. I didn't realize what was happening at first. Dad was making a mess of raking. I got angry thinking i could hire a drunk in town that'd do a better job. He shouldn't be making these kinds of mistakes. Heck, he taught me how to rake hay.

Then i realized it was the heat, he was no longer thinking clearly. I made him get off the tractor... sit in the shade at the edge of the field and cool off for an hour or so. I kept a real close eye on him in the years that followed... His ability to regulate heat degraded a little each summer. Of course he was stubborn!!!

One of the first things that go with age is our body's ability to regulate internal heat. That 'age' is different for all of us. It happens to those with other health issues sooner.

I was baling hay one august, dad ran the rake for me. It was hot, over 100f, high humidity. I was okay but dad, in his late 70's, didn't fare as well. I didn't realize what was happening at first. Dad was making a mess of raking. I got angry thinking i could hire a drunk in town that'd do a better job. He shouldn't be making these kinds of mistakes. Heck, he taught me how to rake hay.

Then i realized it was the heat, he was no longer thinking clearly. I made him get off the tractor... sit in the shade at the edge of the field and cool off for an hour or so. I kept a real close eye on him in the years that followed... His ability to regulate heat degraded a little each summer. Of course he was stubborn!!!
I see that with my dad now, Peanut. He doesn't feel the heat plus he's on blood thinners which is just compounding the problem. I come home after work and go to his house to cook dinner and it's 82 in there. The last couple of nights he's had the attic fan running when I get there only because I told him he'll have to cook his own meals--I'm not cooking/eating in that heat and he won't get to see Heidi (his granddog).

I have one too- though I recently started a new paper file with bank/insurance stuff also.
I had my children go to their banks and add names of next of kin, in case anything happens to them, they thought I was nuts, but I pointed out I wouldn't have the time or the energy to fight for their savings.
I did consider leaving written postcards to be sent out to certain people online whose addresses I have, so my kids wouldn't have to do much, but it seemed a bit morbid!
I think you are being extermely kind and thoughtful by doing this. You are averting possible spats and allowing folks (some of which, you don't even personally know) to have closure. That is an awesome idea about the postcards! I might have to steal that. I've sent money to HCL via mail, so there is an address here on the forum that people could use. Family members could still be covered with OPSEC (if that is even a concern) if no return address is included. Put a forever postcard stamp on the card and put it in with end of life papers. Brilliant idea!

I miss Jon and Nick from flooringforums. Screw cancer! I miss Terry Love from his own forums. Just days before he passed he was encouraging me to keep up working on my bathroom reno. Also miss Olddog and Gary from the houserepair forums. Did anyone ever hear from Gary again? And I miss Chris, but I think Havasu is still in touch with him.

Old Dawg New Trick, was the Tom I mentioned previously. Nick was a gentle soul, and Jon and I both swore we would go on a cruise together with our significant others. It never happened. Gary disappeared, but I chat with Chris daily. That guy can turn a rock into gold! Regarding Terry Love, he earned my respect years ago, and why I allowed a member to post his website on the plumbing forum.
Hug your internet friends, they become family and why I do what I do.

I've been volunteering for the last 15 years on numerous forums. So far, I have been notified 6 different times that a beloved member has passed away. it never gets easy. On one forum, a beloved moderator on another forum let a group of us know that he was going out to mow his lawn, when the temp was over 100 degrees with similar humidity. We begged him to wait, but he was stubborn. He never returned, and a few days later, we spoke to his wife who said he passed away while mowing the lawn.

RIP Tom!
My cousin is a registered nurse. Her husband mowed the lawn one summer day, came in and had a heart attack, his the floor. Thank God for her medical training! She saved his life by doing CPR and called 911 in the midst of it all.

I have always had a hard time working in the heat and direct sun. I worked with my crabby uncle who never understood my need for electrolytes when I was out in the field in the heat of the summer. It just takes everything out of me. That was many years ago, and I believe that it doesn't improve with age. I'd rather have a raggedy yard than to mow and work in it on a hot summer day. I do know the saying, "You have to make hay when the sun is shining," but I can't do it. That saying is because the hay or whatever you are cutting has to dry out to a certain degree or it will get moldy when you bale it.

I have a file on my computer screen desktop entitled "In the even of my death or severe illness" (actually it's a directory of files). One of the files in that directory is "Who to contact". A subsection of that file is "Internet friends". That lists people and their emails/phone numbers as well as forums and their logins/passwords. Would my family follow my wishes here? Probably. Eventually. You can't miss the existence of this on my computer desktop screen, which is almost completely blank (I hate tons of icons cluttering up my desktop).

This does remind me that I need to update files pointed to by that desktop icon. Unfortunately some of my friends that I listed to notify have died themselves, and I have dropped off of some forums that I had listed. I need to add a notification "Files in this directory last reviewed/updated on date XYZ". Some files there are pretty static and don't require updates, so their file timestamps may make it appear that they are out of date. But that's not necessarily the case. So I should add this "last reviewed" notification to make that clear.
Thanks for your post . This reminds me I have a Dead and gone file that needs to be updated ,I keep a hard copy file with my other files in my office , will also put it on the desktop screen

as far as heat by lunchtime is concerned there is a saying "mad dogs and Englishmen !"
personally I dont like it hot, I work for maybe half an hour at a time in the heat then have to find some shade, later on I will do another half hours worth then head for the shade again, and so on.

Weedygarden Some funny. Balls they be appreciated in many ways I guess. I like to whack them hard in a game of squash or golf. Always relaxes me so in watching golf ball sailing through the heavens as far as me can hit it. I not care how far from the hole I miss I just enjoy : )

Weedygarden Some funny. Balls they be appreciated in many ways I guess. I like to whack them hard in a game of squash or golf. Always relaxes me so in watching golf ball sailing through the heavens as far as me can hit it. I not care how far from the hole I miss I just enjoy : )
Golf is fun, I used to enjoy a walk in nice scenery. Sadly, my foursome is all croaked but me :(

Back