Current Pulse of HCL--counts, and other data

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mines coming up on the 10th, Thanks Weedy and Terri for bringing me along :)

December 3 for me. Although I don't post often, I do appreciate all that I learn from all of you.
Was your user name Eliza at PS?
Quadruplets! Amish, Terri, Eliza and me! Anyone else?

Mines coming up on the 10th, Thanks Weedy and Terri for bringing me along :)
Glad you are here.
There was some work going on to recruit the good folks before some of us were banned from PS for doing so. There was a Private Message here with many of us on it asking who else needed to be invited and then sending PM's to folks in the old place. Some people were invited who never made the leap over here, but they were valued enough to be invited. There were people whose name never came up and who were never invited. At least one guy, fairly active guy, was just not invited and he has never shown up here. There was no discussion about it. The old place had 1000's of members, and for people who were never active, it was hard to even think to invite them. They were not known to many of us. Imagine participating in a group that was slowing down and then has slowed to a snail's crawl. Some days, there are no posts at all.

Thet thar Kentuckian gentleman farmer dragged me and some other troublemakers over here from the other place in late November of The Year Of The Yellow Truck. Which truck never did show up in my driveway.
Looks like you were ahead of most of us. Is there a story about the Yellow Truck that we might enjoy?

Looks like you were ahead of most of us. Is there a story about the Yellow Truck that we might enjoy?
Probably. I certainly enjoyed it - and I was the main target of it. In the other place several of us who transferred here, including the Kentucky Gentleman Farmer, formed an ad-hoc group of leg-pullers, always ready to jump on any one of us when we saw an opening. Unfortunately, my memory, which was never good, is now very bad. Especially for names - and the story tells much better when you can tell the players apart. Shucks, the Hawaiian/Texan owner of the (restored-customized-souped-up) Yellow Truck is a story in himself. We need a volunteer.

I had almost stopped posting in the other group (some apple picker... grumble). Grimm got a message to me somehow, don't remember the details, or I might not have found you guys. Did you send me a messages also Weedy? I was very busy IRL, wasn't sure I had time but things slow in winter.

Anyway, glad I'm here.

I had almost stopped posting in the other group (some apple picker... grumble). Grimm got a message to me somehow, don't remember the details, or I might not have found you guys. Did you send me a messages also Weedy? I was very busy IRL, wasn't sure I had time but things slow in winter.

Anyway, glad I'm here.
I don't remember if I sent you a message or not. I don't think I did. Names would be mentioned and someone would say that they would send that person a message. We just wanted to make sure that the people who we got along with and liked knew what was going on. I am glad you are here as well!

I had not been active on PS for some time when I got an invite from Weedy in January. Very thankful for that! It would have been easy to have written me off, and I would have missed out on all the good folks here!
Thank you, @Weedygarden 🙂
So glad you made it here! I'm sorry it took that long to invite you!

Weird that December 2017 is the anniversary of so many people. My date is tomorrow, Dec 6th (2017)

Once the "other place" was taking on water, reactor critical, no rescue possible, the time comes to abandon ship. Lucky there were others ready with rescue plans. When you can't log into the "other place" with your password, you know something is afoot. They don't know your password, but they can "reset" it and see what they want. If you can't log in, you are "compromised"

Unsolicited comment "CARBON MEDIA SUCKS"

I've been a member at PS for a decade.
Like all the other 1,000+ forums owned by Vertical Scope it seems they have been switched to their new proprietary software system.
I'm sure there were internal staff shakeups as well.

I'm an admin at one of the forums owned by VS. I had been a member there since it first formed under the original owner in 2012.
We were one of the early conversions to the new software, a test bed if you will, and as the moderator with the most time in grade I was asked by VS Headquarters to make the staffing decisions.
Although I most certainly did not seek it nor ask for it, I was asked if I would step up to administrator.

One of the toughest things was having to enforce rules that had been in place since 2012 but had gradually slipped away. The new owners were adamant the rules be enforced, we gave everyone timely warning, were not harsh about it, gave members breaks, but still some old timers could not grasp this, and left.

We have a nice, friendly place now, and I'd like to invite everyone here to come and join us. I'm the same guy there as here, same name [promoting another outside site is prohibited here]

Last edited by a moderator:
Was your user name Eliza at PS?
Quadruplets! Amish, Terri, Eliza and me! Anyone else? Yes, from Southwest Virginia. Really get a lot of information from this forum.

Glad you are here.
There was some work going on to recruit the good folks before some of us were banned from PS for doing so. There was a Private Message here with many of us on it asking who else needed to be invited and then sending PM's to folks in the old place. Some people were invited who never made the leap over here, but they were valued enough to be invited. There were people whose name never came up and who were never invited. At least one guy, fairly active guy, was just not invited and he has never shown up here. There was no discussion about it. The old place had 1000's of members, and for people who were never active, it was hard to even think to invite them. They were not known to many of us. Imagine participating in a group that was slowing down and then has slowed to a snail's crawl. Some days, there are no posts at all.

Weird that December 2017 is the anniversary of so many people. My date is tomorrow, Dec 6th (2017)
Since me, you, and @phideaux originally met up on a forum (which shall not be named), I checked in on them yesterday. They had a grand total of 8 new posts yesterday across all of the categories in the entire forum by 9:45pm:oops:.
Housecleaning is complete! Only boring politically-correct people are allowed.:thumbs:
I guess the Admin guys don't get to vacation in Hawaii anymore:(.
Bummer.

We have a nice, friendly place now, and I'd like to invite everyone here to come and join us. I'm the same guy there

Interesting, we will see if that's forum rules and my values and vision align.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since me, you, and @phideaux originally met up on a forum (which shall not be named), I checked in on them yesterday. They had a grand total of 8 new posts yesterday across all of the categories in the entire forum by 9:45pm:oops:.
Housecleaning is complete! Only boring politically-correct people are allowed.:thumbs:
I guess the Admin guys don't get to vacation in Hawaii anymore:(.
Bummer.

Karma ?
That's what you get?
What goes around comes around.

I was on that forum 3 days and I butted heads with HIM big time.
That damage never got repaired.
Made some lifetime friends there.

Jim

For being as "new" as this forum is, there are so many good people here. I want to remain friends with all. :)

Thinking back over the last few months I have come to a realization though. There is one subforum that brings out the worst in me, and I think many others too. "Coronavirus Discussions". So I went through all my "Watched Threads" and deleted every single one of those for that dark subforum. So no more alerts for me when somebody posts there. I was every bit as much to blame as anyone else for the malevolence of that subforum, so I now consider it old, bad history that I want to apologize for and forget. I'll stay in the happier areas of HSF from now on. I wish there was a way to make the subforum disappear from view totally - like erase it from the "What's New" drop-down so I don't accidentally post there, but I haven't found any way to accomplish that yet.

For being as "new" as this forum is, there are so many good people here. I want to remain friends with all. :)

Thinking back over the last few months I have come to a realization though. There is one subforum that brings out the worst in me, and I think many others too. "Coronavirus Discussions". So I went through all my "Watched Threads" and deleted every single one of those for that dark subforum. So no more alerts for me when somebody posts there. I was every bit as much to blame as anyone else for the malevolence of that subforum, so I now consider it old, bad history that I want to apologize for and forget. I'll stay in the happier areas of HSF from now on. I wish there was a way to make the subforum disappear from view totally - like erase it from the "What's New" drop-down so I don't accidentally post there, but I haven't found any way to accomplish that yet.
I would say that topic is perhaps the most polarizing of any topic in memory. We are used to to discussing politics and religion on more rational terms. The trouble with "coronavirus discussions" is a complete and total lack of "credible and aligned" news sources. How can any of us form a good conclusion when very source is different, who can we trust and believe?

I guess that's my whole take, the truth is out there, but I will be damned if I know what it is.

I would say that topic is perhaps the most polarizing of any topic in memory. We are used to to discussing politics and religion on more rational terms. The trouble with "coronavirus discussions" is a complete and total lack of "credible and aligned" news sources. How can any of us form a good conclusion when very source is different, who can we trust and believe?

I guess that's my whole take, the truth is out there, but I will be damned if I know what it is.
I would totally agree with you.

I just stay away from the topic.

I was on that forum 3 days and I butted heads with HIM big time.
That damage never got repaired.
Made some lifetime friends there.

Jim
When you consider that dozens of members would show up in person at your place for a shoot, it is amazing that it only takes one narcissist who is hellbent on proving to everyone that he is "THE ALMIGHTY", to completely destroy a wonderful group of people. :mad:

Latest posts

Back