Current Pulse of HCL--counts, and other data

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must appologize for putting a link to another forum in my post.
It is bad form.
An admin or mod corrected it.
Sorry, it won't happen again.
I snoop there when I'm bored.
You'd get more activity watching a graveyard.

This forum was a blend of two different forums, but Angie added the window dressing and plugged in the coffee pot for us. God Bless that girl!
I've probably known Angie (@Swing) longer than anyone here. We were both moderators at the Homesteading Today forum since 2002.
1701373443513.png

September 2020 for me.

Prior to that I road Mainstream Preppers to the ground and Costa Rico Prepper closed up shop.

I also was on a forum for LabVIEW starting in 2001. I have walked away from that forum for the most part.

Ben

I have been a member of a few forums for a long time, but no longer an active poster. One such forum is LinuxQuestions.org. I got help from, and helped many others, there. What's embarrassing, is that now I will do a Google search for a Linux problem that I am having, and Google returns a really knowledgeable and informative answer from LQ.org. And then I read who wrote it. Me. 20 years ago. Sigh...

Last edited:
I have been a member of a few forums for a long time, but no longer an active poster. One such forum is LinuxQuestions.org. I got help from, and helped many others, there. What's embarrassing, is that now I will do a Google search for a Linux problem that I am having, and Google returns a really knowledgeable and informative answer from LQ.org. And then I read who wrote it. Me. 20 years ago. Sigh...
i had rookies were I used to work with Google a question and discover an answer I posted. :thumbs:

Saved me the time to answer it AGAIN.

Ben

Since many of us came from PS, there was a PM that included many of us, telling us to invite people we knew from other forums. I worked it hard for a while, and eventually, most of us who reached out to others were banned from PS. I just looked there and many of the top contributors mostly moved here early on.

View attachment 120504
View attachment 120505View attachment 120506
I was a mod back at PS. The new admin had banned so many members and mods that, I think, by the time he got around to me he didn't want to report more banning to his boss. He slowed my account down, for helping members move here, to a point where I couldn't even post. By then 95%+ of the members were already here.

I miss some of those listed above.

I miss some of those listed above.
Me, too. I reached out to many people and told them what was going on. Some said they weren't going to come over here. They were loyal to PS. I don't think they really understood what was happening there.

Then there were comments there that said people were no longer interested in preparedness. That was wrong. People were no longer interested in PS and what was going on there.

Some people who were active there and joined here have never quite taken to this forum.

Me, too. I reached out to many people and told them what was going on. Some said they weren't going to come over here. They were loyal to PS. I don't think they really understood what was happening there.

Then there were comments there that said people were no longer interested in preparedness. That was wrong. People were no longer interested in PS and what was going on there.

Some people who were active there and joined here have never quite taken to this forum.
My read on it, at that time, was that PS got bought out. They replaced the admin, that everyone loved, with an admin that few got along with. I often wonder how nobody was injured in the stampede. A handful of members stayed but when I visited, to see how things were, it was like walking into an empty stadium with one player on the field.

Someone may own the forum but the members are the lifeblood. Without the members the forum is a cold carcass.

Someone may own the forum but the members are the lifeblood. Without the members the forum is a cold carcass.
In the first year or so, I would go check in there. There were months where there were 8 posts total, in a month. It is still a very quiet forum. You can tell that after 6 years, Sentry is still the number one poster.

I was never banned from PS. but didn't post there much. Can still post there, like Magus, but like he said, it's pretty dead there. Neb, Urban and I were the last holdouts at Mainstream Preppers. It was going pretty decently once upon a time. Then came here when everyone was jumping from PS. That got a little whacked.

In the first year or so, I would go check in there. There were months where there were 8 posts total, in a month. It is still a very quiet forum. You can tell that after 6 years, Sentry is still the number one poster.
When Sentry became a member here they banned him at PS. After seeing that I just lurked here for a bit till they figured out that I was just hanging out at PS to direct stragglers over here. Lots of members drop off temporarily for several reasons, busy life, internet connection, computer problems, etc. I managed to tell a few stragglers where everyone went.

Many of us were banned. I've wondered if we had changed our usernames if we wouldn't have been banned? Did the new administrator join here under an alias that we all missed?
He wouldn't have to, all he'd have to do is lurk. A cookie could tell him where people went. Sentry went from mod to gone, in a heartbeat. He said he was surprised at how fast it happened.

He wouldn't have to, all he'd have to do is lurk. A cookie could tell him where people went. Sentry went from mod to gone, in a heartbeat. He said he was surprised at how fast it happened.
He was and is a leader. It was apparent there and apparent here. No doubt the new admin had to have realized what a threat he was to PS.

Latest posts

Back