Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tentative list to order from wholesale for pick up Monday while my son's in:
200 lb. Rice
25 lb. Pasta (spaghetti)
10 lb. Other pasta
50 lb. Flour
50 lb. Potatoes-russet and sweet
45 lb. More chicken livers/41 lb. Gizzards/40 lb. Ground turkey (dogs gotta eat-need more). Ive been stocking up on dry and storing it tight)..but i dont feed mine just dry and i dont feed mine canned store bought dog food ( this is cheaper anyhoo).
Fresh green beans if they have any worth it, 25 lbs.
50 lb. Onion
I'm gonna, see what they have for frozen veggies, to can a bunch of that also
Stew meat to can more beef stew (not sure what weight that comes in minimum wholesale).
Probably need some more corn meal added too!

When I get hold of my son to get the prices, I will adjust accordingly.

Gotta get more myler bags and other containers.

Any other suggestions?
This is my attempt to help you out being in the right topic.

Girl, How many people and how long are you aiming for??
I look at this list and for 2 of us it would be 5+ years worth. I know you already have stock.
Your processing time is going to be phenomenal. I would look at shortcuts. Already canned beans, Restaurant pack of mince onions, already freeze dried mashed potato’s.

JMHO

Well, there are 5 family total on the property now. I have a renter in one unit here on property who is early 70s...and he was an OR nurse for 40 years, plus ran a MASH unit in army (Nam) so I want him around. + total 5 dogs between us all (2 border collies, 1 australian shepherd, 1 great pyramese, and renter has some yappy arse small dog). I might not need that much more rice, but the other stuff doesn't seem to go that far after canning it. I've got quite a bit of store bought canned stuff but I don't like most store bought canned food. I'm a made from scratch person if I have time. I'm thinking a years worth, plus some I use out of now anyway.

If it were me n ole larry, i'd probably be done with my stocking already.

You have made me rethink my "tentative" list though.

Well, there are 5 family total on the property now. I have a renter in one unit here on property who is early 70s...and he was an OR nurse for 40 years, plus ran a MASH unit in army (Nam) so I want him around. + total 5 dogs between us all (2 border collies, 1 australian shepherd, 1 great pyramese, and renter has some yappy arse small dog). I might not need that much more rice, but the other stuff doesn't seem to go that far after canning it. I've got quite a bit of store bought canned stuff but I don't like most store bought canned food. I'm a made from scratch person if I have time. I'm thinking a years worth, plus some I use out of now anyway.

Personally I didn’t want you to change what you thought was right.

I look at things as how long it takes us to go through them. Example 6.5 lbs of instant mashed potato‘s i put up last week, that go Best By in May 2024. . In 6 months I will put up another 2 containers worth.
Rotation, Rotation, Rotation.

Only thing I'm removing is more rice until i get off lazy butt n count up my rice inventory, and I meant to put 20 lb. Flour, not 50 more.
You could do a different flour than what you currently have. We packaged up bread flour (higher protein level i believe). We have a bread machine and have been experimenting with dutch oven bread. My wife likes her bread. Not something you are going to get in SHTF.
You should have the rice to mix for the dog food. Dogs only need a 20% protein in their diet. That’s what the one with 9 letters after her name tells me.

With the dogs, if you are feeding them rice daily with some type of meat, each dog would take at least 30 lbs of rice per year. My dogs are large and I’ve allocated 55 lbs each per year for them.

Also, keep in mind that we will all be burning more calories because of the lifestyle change.

I doubt if the wife and I go through 10 pounds of rice in a year. We have about 20 pounds on hand right now. We might pick up another 20 pounds just in case. We prefer potatoes, which grow good here.
How do you store your potatoes over winter?

I have watched so many videos and read about it a lot, but it seems like everyone does it differently.

How do you store your potatoes over winter?

I have watched so many videos and read about it a lot, but it seems like everyone does it differently.
We plan on canning some potatoes. And store some in containers of sand under the house. It's just the two of us so it won't take a lot to make a years supply of potatoes.

I try to can or dehydrate them as soon as I can. It is so hot here and I don't have a root cellar in Fla. Otherwise, I'd put them in a root cellar. Back in ky, that is where my family stored potatoes and other. I really want to get a separate concrete or other building bult and a way to regulate humidity, where i can keep it cool enough to use as a good canning storage and keep potatoes, etc. in where they don't go bad so fast. Not sure if that is good option or not. I am interested in answers to your question.

So I went to Wally W today for pint size ball canning jars. I looked at rice section and got the last 20 lb bag of off brand rice they had. Stopped in winn Dixie to check what was going on w rice there...WD shelves were pretty full, prices much higher. 20lb. At Wally still $11+ change. WD off brand was $15+ change. Mahatma was $17+change. 1st pic is Wally, 2nd is WD. I'm not gonna cry if we run out of rice anytime soon. Flour shelves were full at both w exception of 5 lb. Bags that were on sale at Wally for $2+change. Every light bulb in Wally was LED not 1 of the other in store.

Attachments

• 20230730_153111.jpg
    20230730_153111.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • 20230730_163322.jpg
    20230730_163322.jpg
    2.5 MB
It amazes me that we have a run on rice. Yeah I bought an extra 40 lbs a few days ago. Here where I am, we literally have a rice farm in our backyard. That farm's rice prices are higher than the local store brand by a dollar or so, but he is local. So I will continue to support him.

The rice that the Indians and Asian‘s were making a run on went up $5 for a 25lb bag. I know I have 3 yrs worth But for $15-20, another 3 yrs worth is tempting

Back