Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it can be grown in the warmer areas, but you also need a lot of water. A swamp type area is good. I won’t be growing any, nor anyone else in my area.
In Southeast Asia, they grow rice on terraced mountainsides.
Vietnam%20Rice%20terraces__0.jpg

Alert - I received information from a source I personally know that walked into a Walmart in Southern Mississippi to buy flour . They were out of flour and the store clerk told him " they would not be getting in anymore flour " . Now my personal source I have full confidence in . The only questionable part to this is , if the Walmart employee was possibly wrong .

This is what I am used seeing. . . View attachment 20374
Yes if they have flat land they use it. But there isn't enough flat land to grow enough rice to feed all the people. So the make do with whatever they have. Taiwan, for example, is 25% flat and 75% mountainous. And the flat lands are mostly developed now. They run the rice fields right up to the roads and houses using ever square foot possible.
TaiwanRicePaddy.jpg

I am in the Appilacians with you, my friend! Great place to be isnit it?! Anyway…the amount of rice depends on your other preps. Generally, total grain amount per person a year is 300-350 lbs. I use that number. Those grains include wheat/flour, rice, oat/oatmeal, pasta and cornmeal. Some folks eat more rice than others, BUT during the times coming when food will be in short supply please keep in mind that you can’t grow rice. At least most can’t. Make sure you can grow potatoes to take it’s place. Most food prepper calculators only have 50 lbs of rice suggested per person.
Good information and yes...it is a good place to live. I was doing a little rice and flour math late last night while canning green beans. Google said one pound of rice will make two and half cups ...I usually cook one cup per meal for five people. So 150 pounds should give us about 500 meals roughly Since I am diabetic though I cant eat rice anyway. I do harvest lambs quarter seeds for grain...it is a bit of work but they are great for you.

Good information and yes...it is a good place to live. I was doing a little rice and flour math late last night while canning green beans. Google said one pound of rice will make two and half cups ...I usually cook one cup per meal for five people. So 150 pounds should give us about 500 meals roughly Since I am diabetic though I cant eat rice anyway. I do harvest lambs quarter seeds for grain...it is a bit of work but they are great for you.

Sounds like you are busy! Google Is incorrect. The ratio of uncooked rice to cooked is 1 c dry gets you 3 c cooked.

These ratios look to be correct from my experience.

1690196217107.png

Just a heads up on things here- certain salts are out. I don't know how long this has been going on, so you guys probably already know this is an issue.

I went to get some kosher salt or canning salt just to restock and both were out in multiple stores. There wasn't even a spot on the shelves for them any longer.

I
--- Here is an update , According to the link " rice prices " are skyrocketing . Over the last 3 or 4 days it has tripled in price " in some stores " . Rationing of rice is ongoing .

Interesting. I just signed in our local grocery app and there is no available rice for pickup. It must already be starting here, too.

--- Here is an update , According to the link " rice prices " are skyrocketing . Over the last 3 or 4 days it has tripled in price " in some stores " . Rationing of rice is ongoing .

I witnessed that Bay Area panic buying last week.
Caused me to evaluate every thing.
Looked at first time I bought a big bag of rice 3 years ago. Was getting low and bought another a couple months ago. 3 yrs old rice cooked up perfectly yesterday
With what is going on with wheat exports, the world is in a mess. My 20lbs of pasta I bought 3 years ago is getting down, put it on my list For next trip.
Canned goods I bought 3 years ago, still have some left. Will wait Til my magic number
Canned goods I have replenished-tricky because I dont trust high acid items in cans, like tomatos. Don’t want too much.
Items that i have stocked but went bad. Bottled OJ, Aseptic pkg milk. No longer buying.

This guy made a lot of sense. Stay alert to your surroundings and ahead off the sheep.

I went to my local feed store this morning to buy some containers for rice storage . I asked the clerk / owner if they were having difficulty getting in livestock feed . Answer no . She was not aware of the collapsing grain situation . Her and a few customers were in a state of shock , when I told them what is unfolding . With things being as they are ,told her she might be able to retire next month as livestock feed may not be available on the usual supply system . -- As this forum has discussed before our survival critters may not be sustainable , unless we have planned ahead for this potential feed shortage . Myself I have planned for this in the realm of keeping my survival critters feed without equipment fuel or feed stores .

Last edited:
One of the other items on my list is instant mashed potato’s. Haven’t been seeing the meal sized packets but have seen the bulk at the Business Center.
I am thinking of buying this and vacuum sealing meal size portions. Anyone have experience with this?

One of the other items on my list is instant mashed potato’s. Haven’t been seeing the meal sized packets but have seen the bulk at the Business Center.
I am thinking of buying this and vacuum sealing meal size portions. Anyone have experience with this?
Vacuum sealing meal sized portions work out just fine. I store in food grade buckets.

The 20 lb. Long grain white rice I bought this weekend was $11.14. I just looked online at local Wally World, still same price for 20 lb.

20 lb. Basmati rice is $20.76.

Kosher salt, they have a variety for pick up and in store purchase.

Today they are showing also a variety of flour, multiple brands which I didn't see on shelves this past weekend.

Got back from a special trip. Got my 20lb of pasta put up, got 6.5 lbs of instant potatos to put up tomorrow, and topped off on a few other things
Didnt notice any price increase on rice 27-32 for 50lb bag for local rice. Not the same brands,I saw the run on last week.

On my way out from work I got another 40 lbs of rice, just in case since India is not going to be shipping out their crops. It was still only $11 and some change. We have a company literally right here that provides our stores, but at a higher price. I have no idea where the store brand comes from, but they do try to go locaL.Since Ukraine is no longer able to export their grains, I also bought another 25lb bag of flour to break down and vaccum seal.

Can you post links to that?
This is not the site I was originally referring to ., but pertains to the same thing . The information that I first mentioned was from the " Associated Press " , but so for have not reclaimed that feed . That feed was referring to people going into the country of " Cambodia " to sell their kidneys .

Back