Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheat products are going to be very scarce now and so is sunflower oil and the like. The grain deal Ukraine/Russia will most certainly not continue and for the rest of the "regional war" no more wheat and the like will be exported from this corner.

The Turkish president and despot Erdogan thinks that he can fix things with his mediation, but it will be difficult if not impossible for him. Erdogan deeply angered the Russians a few days ago when he broke the deal and released a dozen Ukrainian ASOV Nazi leaders and sent them back to Ukraine, these guys are now at war with Russia again and that's why Putin is angry. The deal was that these guys would only be released after the end of the war, but Erdogan was still a venal and fake dog.

Europe will also no longer secure a grain deal with Russia, as Europe actively betrayed Russia with the Minsk 2 deal, European politicians have openly admitted. Putin doesn't care if no more grain is exported from Ukraine and Russia, it got no benefit from the deal and the European Union hasn't kept any of the promised deals, allowing fertilizer exports and certain exemptions from sanctions against Russian banks.

Everyone who is still in their right mind should buy flour and oil while it is still available and affordable, we can thank the EU, NATO and Joe for this misery.

Went to Costco, noticed many people with 2 25lb bags of Basmati rice in the cart All one brand.
Got over by rice- log jam. They are getting another 2 pallets down In middle of day.
The rice isn’t on sale. 50lb bags next to it of another brand untouched.
Everyone with this rice in their cart was Indian (not Native American) or Asian
WTHeck do they know.

Asians and Indians I'd say, know their rice and eat lots of it...other than that maybe both have lots of fighting age males coming in across our border to feed! Compliments of that POS head we have soiling up the seat in the white house.
I have never seen them so ravenous for the certain brand of rice.
Thats what is odd.

Went to Costco, noticed many people with 2 25lb bags of Basmati rice in the cart All one brand.
Got over by rice- log jam. They are getting another 2 pallets down In middle of day.
WTHeck do they know.

I’ve seen on farm blogs that a big rice shortage is coming because of insufficient crops. That is why I’m trying to get another years worth put back.

I’ve seen on farm blogs that a big rice shortage is coming because of insufficient crops. That is why I’m trying to get another years worth put back.
How much is a years supply of rice? I deep cleaned and inventoried the pantry yesterday. Only have about a hundred pounds of rice.

I would stock up on easy to grow grain seed, too, if youhave space. We eat a lot of quinoa and amaranth here because they grow fairly well. Corn, too, of course. I've tried again this year to grow wheat and it just doesn't like our soil. Millet, sorghum, and oats do okay.

If you are short on wheat berries, you can cut flour with the other grains and quinoa is really nutritious.

How much is a years supply of rice? I deep cleaned and inventoried the pantry yesterday. Only have about a hundred pounds of rice.
Its what your family group will go through in a year.
A few years ago, we went through 2-5 lbs a yr. As we got into this mind set ( buy what you can store, eat what you store), We go through much more rice.
Rotation, Rotation, Rotation.

WTHeck do they know.
You should see the mountains of 50 lb bags of rice at the Asian supermarket. Dozens of brands. Someone said "get rice now" so they did.

The wife just returned from a rice run . She cleaned out the type rice she wanted at Walmart . She said it looked fresh stocked but left it a bare shelf . They " may or may not " have some in the back to restock with . She picked up a few more bags of flour also . ---- So for it appears most people do not know what is going on with the flour , cornmeal and rice supply running out . This gives our members an advantage on gathering last chance items .

The 50lb bags they were ignoring were the China ones at Costco.

Last time I saw this run on rice was 2020. I picked up a 25lb bag as I was getting into this. All remember it wasn’t Basmati or Jasmine (so my purist wife was upset), It. was a long grain packaged in Oakland from the Kommunist Republik. Best rice we have ever had. Twice as long as long grain rice from a grocery store. Wish I could find it again or remember the brand

I keep my rice topped off constantly. I don't have anymore room for more. Have about 1100 lbs. If I see a critical shortage coming I'll quickly double that and stack it in my bedroom. Flour also, I have about 250 lbs. of assorted flour which I will triple if I see a critical shortage. I have 1250 lbs of wheat berries stored for long term 25+ years. I can also supplement my flour with my amaranth.

I am in the Appilacians with you, my friend! Great place to be isnit it?! Anyway…the amount of rice depends on your other preps. Generally, total grain amount per person a year is 300-350 lbs. I use that number. Those grains include wheat/flour, rice, oat/oatmeal, pasta and cornmeal. Some folks eat more rice than others, BUT during the times coming when food will be in short supply please keep in mind that you can’t grow rice. At least most can’t. Make sure you can grow potatoes to take it’s place. Most food prepper calculators only have 50 lbs of rice suggested per person.

Last edited:
We get ours through Azure usually. It's just easier to pick up a 25 or 50 lb bag and put it into buckets than to buy a bunch of smaller bags for us since we have a family.

I’ve used Azure Standard many times, with great results! They are a down to earth company with high morals in my opinion.

Last edited:
BUT during the times coming when food will be in short supply please keep in mind that you can’t grow rice. At least most can’t. Make sure you can grow potatoes to take it’s place. Most food prepper calculators only have 50 lbs of rice suggested per person.
Although it does best in 9b-10a, it's possible to grow it outside those zones. Maybe not in the mountains...
But I know that it grows quite well in 8a in the Mississippi Delta and parts of North Carolina and even Virginia.

https://www.weekand.com/home-garden...ed-grow-rice-wheat-corn-soybeans-18010759.php

I have read about people growing it in buckets, but you would need a LOT of buckets!

It's so easy to grow other grains and quinoa is a "complete" grain or whatever, that I am not planning on growing rice anytime soon. We will see about our potatoes this year. I might plan on those, too, but it might be harder for me to keep the seed potatoes for the next year until I can get a decent root cellar. Probably best for me to just keep as many seeds for all of it as possible in case I mess something up!

I am taking " Proud Prepper and Survivor 316 " advice and have ordered my Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers . I have never before tried to store the volume of rice that I now have , with the possibility of it being long term . With things looking the way they are , it doesn't appear I will be storing it long term , but just in case the expected SHTF doesn't occur in this calendar year I want it to last until SHTF does occur . -- Another question though what bucket lids I have bought in the past didn't seal well at all . Any advice on getting airtight buckets .

I have tried several bucket lids and I have a bunch that don't fit. I don't have any tips. I'm still trying to figure them ou!. The gamma lids that everyone raves about have never worked well for me... probably user error, but it I can't get them to work.

Another thing I forgot about that we have done is just put a bunch of mylar bags that are vacuum sealed into large metal trash cans. That also protects against any rodents since they can't chew through it.

I use myler bags n oxygen absorbers, food grade buckets, also. I use metal garbage cans for stuff like chicken food, dog food, bird food, and dry foods that I've vacuum sealed that is not in myler bags. All in cooler dark areas. I do store dry goods, dehydrated foods in canning jars and vacuum seal the jars with oxygen absorbers in the jars. Check them periodically to make sure nothing is sticking to sides or bottom of jars...which means moisture.

I've read a rat can eat through a metal can? but I've never seen any evidence of that happening with my stored food, but then again I've seen no evidence of mice or rats anywhere around any of our food storage areas...yet!

I am taking " Proud Prepper and Survivor 316 " advice and have ordered my Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers . I have never before tried to store the volume of rice that I now have , with the possibility of it being long term . With things looking the way they are , it doesn't appear I will be storing it long term , but just in case the expected SHTF doesn't occur in this calendar year I want it to last until SHTF does occur . -- Another question though what bucket lids I have bought in the past didn't seal well at all . Any advice on getting airtight buckets .

ULine sells these in various sizes and colors. These are 7 gallon. With resealable airtight lids.

Attachments

• 20230723_154501.jpg
    20230723_154501.jpg
    1.9 MB

Latest posts

Back