Friday Fives

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little early, but it has been on my mind. I can be early or I can be late!

1. If you had to choose your last meal ever, your favorite meal, what would it be?
2. What states and countries have you lived in?
3. What musical instruments do you play, or have you played? Or do you sing well enough so that others would want to hear you?
4. What languages do you speak?
5. What was your first paying job? How old were you?

I'm a little early, but it has been on my mind. I can be early or I can be late!

1. If you had to choose your last meal ever, your favorite meal, what would it be?
3. What musical instruments do you play, or have you played? Or do you sing well enough so that others would want to hear you?
Prime rib, ranch fries with Heinz 57, Caesar salad, cheesy garlic bread, Heineken beer, a jar of pickled eggs, an order of kraut and polish sausages, chocolate-cherry cheesecake, and a box of ex-lax. cuz you know I'm going to leave my mark in that execution chamber!

Tennessee, Kentucky, (briefly) Georgia, Alabama (briefly), and the rest are covered under a nondisclosure contract.

Bass, a little drums, a little guitar. I have been told I have a very sexy bass voice. I owe it to a life of alcohol and cigarettes. Nobody wants to hear me sing however, I tend to go death metal.

American English, a little ghetto, the Queen's proper English, Canadian, Enough German and Spanish to order dinner a beer and start a fistfight.

Making body bags.
https://www.tennierindustries.com/shop/
They no longer make body bags but the jackets and sleeping bags are still there.

If you had to choose your last meal ever, your favorite meal, what would it be? Have to say what Magus suggested sounds good.... but if its a last meal, anything shared with the family around the table.
2. What states and countries have you lived in? Australia, UK, Ireland, USA
3. What musical instruments do you play, or have you played? Or do you sing well enough so that others would want to hear you? No instruments, though I have tried to learn the bass guitar and drums
4. What languages do you speak? Fluent in sarcasm, swearing and English. A smattering of Irish and french
5. What was your first paying job? How old were you? I was 13, randomly paid for helping in a stables. I got a paid weekend job at 16 in a deli

Thank you Weedy!

Magpie's right - it's not the food, so much, but the people I'd be eating with. I'd want to be with my family. That said, I wouldn't say no to a medium-rare filet mignon, seasoned fries, salad, key lime pie and an after-dinner 21 year old port cask-aged Balvenie scotch.
New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina. Briefly lived with my bro in Toronto, Canada.
Piano
Bad English, French, and a small amount of German and Spanish
I was 15 and got a job working at the country's oldest miniature golf course (Parkside) in Seabreeze, NY. I kept the place clean and ran the till on the weekends.

Great questions, Weedy!

1.) Steak, medium rare; baked potato loaded with butter and sour cream; Ceasar salad; Apple Pie ala mode for dessert. Scotch before and during the meal and a nice Brandy or Calvados with dessert.

2.) New York; Arizona; Missouri

3.) Piano. It is a well guarded secret, but I sang in a very well known boys chorus as a child.

4.) English; enough Spanish to get by; and a smattering of French

5.) It was either delivering newspapers or selling newspapers on the street corner when I was in Junior High School.

Last edited:
Great questions Weedy!! 1) Steak and french fries (no, not tater tots)! 2) New Jersey and Texas! 3) I played guitar as a kid, never kept it up! 4) English and "horse barn" Spanish 😉! 5) I was a child workaholic! Growing up I got paid to groom people's horses. A guy who was a Pick Up Man in our ranch rodeo paid me to babysit his extra horse every Saturday night during rodeo season.

1. If I knew it was going to be my last meal and then something bad was going to happen to me I would ask for a bottle of vodka , some weed and some xanax....
If you are asking what my favorite meal would be : Indian lamb curry, rice , naan bread , mango salad and blackforest cake for dessert

2. Germany, Florida ( most my life) , Virginia and a half a year in California

3. Guitar, played in a band in my 20s , singing not so much only in church LOL ( when we used to go there)

4. English, German , enough Spanish to talk to the illegals on construction sites and husband's relatives, and a little French

5. I worked in the deli and as a cashier in a German restaurant in the mall , 18

1. If I knew it was going to be my last meal and then something bad was going to happen to me I would ask for a bottle of vodka , some weed and some xanax....
If you are asking what my favorite meal would be : Indian lamb curry, rice , naan bread , mango salad and blackforest cake for dessert

3. Guitar, played in a band in my 20s , singing not so much only in church LOL ( when we used to go there)

4. English, German , enough Spanish to talk to the illegals on construction sites and husband's relatives, and a little French

5. I worked in the deli and as a cashier in a German restaurant in the mall , 18

Black Forest cake!! Great choice!!

Great questions Weedy!! 1) Steak and french fries (no, not tater tots)! 2) New Jersey and Texas! 3) I played guitar as a kid, never kept it up! 4) English and "horse barn" Spanish 😉! 5) I was a child workaholic! Growing up I got paid to groom people's horses. A guy who was a Pick Up Man in our ranch rodeo paid me to babysit his extra horse every Saturday night during rodeo season.
I didn't know you lived in NJ! Where at? My best friend that passed away lived there ( northwest part, near Newton) so we went there often.

I didn't know you lived in NJ! Where at? My best friend that passed away lived there ( northwest part, near Newton) so we went there often.
Grew up in Jackson, NJ! Southern middle, great horse country!! Or at least it was! There's a golf course and condos where the ranch used to be!!

1 Filet Mignon, with a big side of shrimp, loaded baked tater, really good loaded salad, and a big ole slice of raspberry cheesecake
2 Tennessee, Kentucky, US of course, and Vienna Austria for 2 months
3 i can only play the radio. Would love to learn the Bass. Ibtried trumpet in 3rd grade and hated it, lasted a week maybe. And NO you don't want to hear me sing
4 Appalachin English, half assed English. Also enough German to order a meal, but don't ask me anything with numbers
5 Mowing yards at 9, gettin up hay, plowing and disking gardens at 10. 1st public job was delivering for a pharmacy at 16

Beef tenderloin, medium rare, twice backed potatoes, Caesar salad, apple pie with vanilla ice cream, a yuengling while dining, a good bourbon (probably Willet or Blantons) afterwards with a cigar

Missouri, Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Virginia, Rhode Island, North Dakota, Guam

Guitar and bass guitar, I’m asked to sing at church a lot, so I guess so

English, but I can go from southern, to midwestern to new engalnder dialects rapidly

Might sound young, but I think I was 7 and driving the tractor for the guys hauling hay, made 3 cents a bale.

Great questions this week!

I like how you think with your answer to the first question. But for me it would be a 6 pack of Heineken and some hydrocodone, with steak and potato salad - the old family recipe. All while relaxing at home waiting for the end to come.

2. Michigan is the only State I’ve lived in.

3. I played saxophone in grade school but gave it up. I didn’t have a ‘gift’ for it

4. English is the only language I speak. But I know how to use ‘French’.

5. At age 12 I started working for a nursery, the plants and trees kind of nursery. They had an in town store and a farm. Starting pay was $ 0.85 per hour. Good times, I even got a few pay raises before I moved on when I graduated high school.

Favorite meal would be a Tbone steak, scalloped potatoes, some fresh greenbeans, and cheesecake.
I've lived in California a few times, New Mexico, Wisconsin, and Cannes France
I've played piano, but it was long ago. I tried playing clarinet , after getting booted out of glee club, but failed miserably. I love music, but don't produce it. I can't sing, but will sing anyway.
I can speak some french, and some Penn Dietch
First paying job, probably at age 11. Paid for watching kids in the summertime. I think I made a few bucks a day. I'd put it aside to help mom pay for my school clothes, hoped for a new coat.

We all LOVE steak!!🐮

And we all started working when we were very young. :thumbs:

I would expect you were much the same, but my parents really taught us the value of the dollar.

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, buttery corn on the cob and caramel apple pie with vanilla ice cream. I make steak all the time, but I can't make fried chicken. Not the way some people can. And the crap you get at fast food places is not fried chicken.

Many states, several countries and more than one tent. I don't think of some of those as places I have lived, but places where I didn't die.

I can't play anything but I have been told I have a great singing voice, but I don't really sing. Not sober anyway.

I speak fluent American, fair amounts of English, thorough sarcasm and level IV cursing.

At age 6 or 7 I started working as a self-employed brass collector at an outdoor range that required every shooter to police their brass. I had a lawn chair, a small hand rake, a little scoop and a few ice cream pails. Shooters who wanted their brass would give me a quarter or two. Shooters who didn't would throw me some change just to keep from having to pick it up themselves. Then I would then sell their brass to the first shooters. There were days I only made a dollar or two, some days I would rake in the money.

My first job with a paycheck was at a just off the beaten path dumpy truck stop. I did a lot of odd jobs but one of them was grabbing all the old magazines, pulling the covers off and throwing them away. Then I would put out the new magazines. This included dirty magazines. I would hide them out back and sell those coverless adult mags to kids around my age for $2-3 each. Made $3/hr at the truck stop and about $50-60 a week from the dirty mags. Pretty sure I got that job out of pity.

And we all started working when we were very young. :thumbs:

I would expect you were much the same, but my parents really taught us the value of the dollar.
Huge thick sirloin steak medium-rare, mac&cheeze, several slices of cherry-pie. :p
Just Alabama and Louisiana.
Only the kazoo :). I don't sing anything but 'happy birthday' because I don't like to see people suffer 🤣.
English, Redneck, and some Cajun.
8y/o, moving haybales for a penny a bale. Move 100 bales, get a whole Dollar!! :woo hoo:
(of course, when we had stashed a few, my mom made us put it in our savings-account at the bank :().

Last edited:

1. Grilled steak, sautéed fresh veggies, glass of raw cow's milk and if I'm able to eat more, my rhubarb cake.

2. Montana, B.C., Alberta, Venezuela, Egypt, Texas, Indonesia, Ontario.

3. Piano, accordian, harmonica, saw. To get my kids to sleep, I threatened to sing to them.

4. English and as Pearl put it, horse barn Arabic, taxi Arabic and "no hay puesto".

5. Department of highways slash and burn crew when I was 15.

I never considered swearing a language, but I will admit that I have turned it into an art form. Almost embarassing to admit, but if anyone asked my kids "where did you hear that?" I would just raise my hand. No doubt they heard it from me. Not one of my finer qualities. :rolleyes:

I never considered swearing a language, but I will admit that I have turned it into an art form. Almost embarassing to admit, but if anyone asked my kids "where did you hear that?" I would just raise my hand. No doubt they heard it from me. Not one of my finer qualities. :rolleyes:
I know all the "horse barn" Spanish cuss words!!😉

1. My last meal would be one of two options. T-bone steak and a salad OR potato dumplings with kraut and pork
2. South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota briefly, Missouri, Indiana, Colorado.
3. I've played the piano, but don't have much training so I'm self taught through a few of the piano training books, and I played the clarinet in school band. You would ask me not to sing.
4. I speak English but have studied Spanish and Chinese
5. My first paying job was babysitting for my cousins when I was 11 years old. I have rarely been unemployed since.

1. My last meal would be one of two options. T-bone steak and a salad OR potato dumplings with kraut and pork
2. South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota briefly, Missouri, Indiana, Colorado.
3. I've played the piano, but don't have much training so I'm self taught through a few of the piano training books, and I played the clarinet in school band. You would ask me not to sing.
4. I speak English but have studied Spanish and Chinese
5. My first paying job was babysitting for my cousins when I was 11 years old. I have rarely been unemployed since.

Nothing without providence.

Latest posts

Back