Friday Fives

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no tropical trees but I do have an olive tree which is Mediterranean
I have two olive tree plants. They are not more than a foot tall, more ornamental. I like the look of them but my guess is that it will be many years before I could even think of getting any olives, if ever.

My citrus lime, lemon and grapefruit are all in pots that I keep in the house. I have seen several people grow lemons in their homes in pots that produced lemons. They keep them in sunny windows.

1. a ton of Roses, acres of red and white Clover, Dandys, Hosta, Honeysuckle, Sunflower + some!!

2. Blackberry, Persimmon, Grapes, Muskies. a lot of different mushrooms and bark, Cattails,

3. More than just Bartlett Pear and Red Delicious Apples, BIL has some peaches

4. No tropical fruit trees, just some Dwarf Palms that will grow in cooler climates too.

5. No food animals myself Cuz has a herd of cattle down from about 200 years ago to about 30 now a lot of people quit doing chickens and other fowl because of the Coyote that have decimated the once massive Quail population in this area.

Well I absolutely struck out: 0 for 5. None would be the answer to every question. Babe Ruth struck out five times in one game, so I guess I'm not in bad company. :dunno:

Number one what edible flowers do you grow?
Dandelions, but not intentionally.
Number two what is your go to Forge plant?
We have a ton of wild berries - strawberries, raspberries, blackberries - really a lot of plants growing wild around my property.
Number three what fruit trees do you want to add to your orchard?
Pear or peach.
Number four what tropical trees or plants do you grow?
None up this far north
Number five what animals do you grow for food eggs, honey so forth
None at this time. We're looking at coops and getting chickens.
Sorry had a long day, if there is a next time I will do better.
You did just fine!

You’re not in bad company. I could have passed on all the questions, but.. I have dandelions, but not by choice.

Dandelions are an aggravation. Not a cash crop. Those of us in suburbia work dilligently to get rid of them.

Those out in the country probably have a safer crop. Where I am, I would be really suspect of all the chemicals that have been used on the lawns where they are growing. I dont know if I would want to eat them.

Dandelions are an aggravation. Not a cash crop. Those of us in suburbia work dilligently to get rid of them.

Those out in the country probably have a safer crop. Where I am, I would be really suspect of all the chemicals that have been used on the lawns where they are growing. I dont know if I would want to eat them.
I didn’t know you’re in the same suburbia club as I.

Spring fertilizer with dimension .10% rids most lawns of weeds.

I’m leaving my backyard untouched. Peanut could have a field day identifying all the plant species.

Who are you choosing as the next victim??🫣

Dandelions to me are a plus. There is one farm neighbor with a professional front yard lawn with a lawn service for it. So out of place here. Any animals in the neighborhood that get out...cows, turkeys, horse, are always found on the lawn because of the green news. Little granddaughter sat on the lawn when we were there for an ice cream social and got a rash on her legs.
This morning for the animals we picked 4 buckets of natural grass for the geese, 2 buckets for the turkey runs of misc (including clover and dandelion and grass), 4 buckets of the same mix and pig weed for the chicken runs. Pig weed is a favorite and it's good for them. We have a "lawn" area, and it gets mowed, but it's not pristine...grass mixed with whatever. These chemical lawns are just not natural. Grow something that something eats.

Number one what edible flowers do you grow? Cauliflower
Number two what is your go to Forge plant? Black berries, but I like morel mushrooms better
Number three what fruit trees do you want to add to your orchard? Apple, cherry, peach and fig
Number four what tropical trees or plants do you grow? None
Number five what animals do you grow for food eggs, honey so forth? We have chickens, hope to add goats and a couple of pigs soon

1. we have some nasturtium flours in the garden, plus sunflowers, but there are some edible wildflours around too like dandelions
2. I don't understand that question exactly?
3. I want to get a nectarine tree like a friend has , she got it 2 years ago at RK, planted it, and this year she had tons of nectarines already, so they must do well here, plus a Asian pear, neighbors have a bunch and they do well here also
4. I have a tangerine and a myer lemon plant in pots but they are barely surviving and no lemons or tangerines either no matter how much I fertilize them
5: goats, sheep, chickens, plus the rabbits around here taste good too

Thank you @Tirediron Though I think I may have missed someones week
1. first web site you check.? My email then here
2. what people do you call.? Family only
3. one day of perhaps chaos maybe to pick up supplies. what are you missing? Milk, more pet food

4. what is your stat of being ready? Not too bad but could be better
Bam grid down maybe for ever.
5. how do you think the next week would go.? My only issue would be if the grid is down I wouldn't see whats going on in the cities...

Just seeing this!

Number one what edible flowers do you grow? Nasturtium, wild flowers, pansies
Number two what is your go to Forge plant? Blackberries
Number three what fruit trees do you want to add to your orchard? I have terrible trouble with fruit trees, I have apples, pears and cherries, and get nothing. So I would plant native trees instead
Number four what tropical trees or plants do you grow? None really- fig? I have an orange tree that does nothing.
Number five what animals do you grow for food eggs, honey so forth - have bees, hens, used to have pheasants

Thank you!

1. we have some nasturtium flours in the garden, plus sunflowers, but there are some edible wildflours around too like dandelions
2. I don't understand that question exactly?
3. I want to get a nectarine tree like a friend has , she got it 2 years ago at RK, planted it, and this year she had tons of nectarines already, so they must do well here, plus a Asian pear, neighbors have a bunch and they do well here also
4. I have a tangerine and a myer lemon plant in pots but they are barely surviving and no lemons or tangerines either no matter how much I fertilize them
5: goats, sheep, chickens, plus the rabbits around here taste good too
#2 do you forage anything?

Dandelions, day lilies, broccoli

Raspberries but we have plenty of Purslane in season

Apples pears and cherries

Orange coffee olive

Not now but bees and chickens... maybe

There is no rule as to what time on Friday. It make me start a quick 5...

1 Who's turn is it?
2 Did miss questions from someone ignored?
3 are we still playing this game?

;)

Ben

Last edited:
1. Nastruim, Dandeloins.
2. Wild garlic, onions
3. Peaches, plums, pecans
4.Palm
5.chicken

There is no rule as to what time on Friday. It make me start a quick 5...

1 Who's turn is it?
2 Did miss questions from someone ignored?
3 are we still playing this game?

I have a thing Friday morning into mid-afternoon, but I will do it if no one else has volunteered. And doing so thoroughly goes against my never volunteer for anything mantra. 🥸

A recap of askers and questions, I believe it to be up to date and correct:

Friday Fives:

Magpie:
1. If you have a bumper sticker, what does it say?
2. Favorite ice cream flavor?
3. A famous person (dead or alive) - and not necessarily a favorite - who you would like to get some answers from?
4. Something you would like to be able to grow but cannot (due to area etc)
5. Best concert or gig you ever attended?

Pearl:
1) What do you wear to bed?
2)What is your biggest pet peeve?
3) If you could be any age, forever, what would it be?
4) If you could go back and give your teenage self one piece of advice, what would you tell you?
5) If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?

Morgan101:
1. Name a person that you most admire.
2. If you could go back in time what period or event would you most like to see?
3. What place would you most like to visit?
4. What event would you most like to attend?
5, What was/is your dream car?

Patchouli:
1. What did you want to be when you grew up?
2. What was one of your most awesome experiences in your whole life?
3. What is one of the kindest things anyone has ever done for you?
4. Let’s pretend you have been chosen to be in the White House cabinet under a president and vice president whom you agree with. You can choose any office you want. What would you choose?
5. What are your two favorite games and or sports? One could be a board game and another a physical sport.

Bacpacker:
1) What is your favorite science fiction book and/or author?
2) Name the 1 or 2 things you are most skilled at.
3) What is your favorite fruit, nut, or veggie to raise? Or the one that performs best for you?
4) After a long hard stressful day workin, either at work or around your own place, what is your favorite way to relax and unwind?
5) Where is your favorite vacation destination? Could be your best trip ever, or the one you keep going back to.

Neb:
1. What is your favorite color?
2. What is your age? 20-30,30-40...
3.Who was your earliest crush?
4. What frightens you?
5. Heads or tails?
Bonus Q
The quantity (e raised the power of pi i), added to 1 equals?

BKT:
1. If you could trade one skill you have for one you don't, what skill would you trade away and what new skill would you acquire?
2. If you could go back in time just once to correct one mistake or bad event (personal or not), would you do it? Bear in mind you and others would lose the historical experience and wisdom that would have come about as a result of the event taking place.
3. What do you think about that puts you at peace when life throws you curve balls?
4. Did you end up marrying your first love?
5. What's your favorite kind of pie?

Weedygarden:
1. If you had to choose your last meal ever, your favorite meal, what would it be?
2. What states and countries have you lived in?
3. What musical instruments do you play, or have you played? Or do you sing well enough so that others would want to hear you?
4. What languages do you speak?
5. What was your first paying job? How old were you?

Dademoss:
1. If you have one, what is your “bump in the night/Fox in the henhouse” implement/weapon?
2. What species of bird gets you most excited when you see one?
3. Cat person or Dog Person, or Both?
4. How many states have you visited? (you can count the ones you lived in)
5. Do you garden and preserve/can your harvest?

LadyLocust:
1: Name one thing on your bucket list (go ahead and dream big, something you want to see? do?).
2: What is your favorite sound?
3: If you were to write a novel, name your main character.
4: What is the strangest thing you've ever eaten?
5: What is the best one-liner you've ever heard or said?

Mobookworm:
1. Who was Vesuivus Secret Victim?
2. Does bees have ears?
3. Is there a hole to Hell in the Arctic?
4. Who drilled the Hole to Hell?
5. What is your favorite color and why?
Bonus question?
Why was the Hole to Hell drilled to start with?

Weedygarden, (AGAIN)
1. Where were you born?
2. How many siblings do you have? Where are you in the sibling pack, oldest, youngest, middle child?
3. What is the highest education you have achieved?
4. Were you ever in the military? What branch did you serve in? Highest rank?
5. What was your first car?

Winds of change:
1.) How much land do you have and do you raise any livestock.
2.) Do you garden at all, if so, what do you grow?
3.) What do you do for a living, or had done if you are now retired.
4.) What holiday tradition is your favorite and why?
5.) If you were given 5 million dollars, what would you do with it?

OldSchool:
1. What would you name as the 8th wonder of the world?
(an unofficial title typically given to the accomplishments of modern man)
2. What time frame or time period would you like live in?
(can choose the time and place)
3. When you leave the house with a get home bag... What's in your GHB for food?
4. What forum site was your 1st Home?
(a description is fine if you don't want to name it)
5. What's your primary news source?
(radio, TV, internet... particular news agency)
Joel

Yes I PM someone, if I do not get an answer by tomorrow, I will ask someone who has not
ask question, so you all start working on the questions.

I have a thing Friday morning into mid-afternoon, but I will do it if no one else has volunteered. And doing so thoroughly goes against my never volunteer for anything mantra. 🥸
Somehow my personality (or whatever) doesn’t align with the ‘never volunteer’ way of thinking.

But… I’d happily kick a homeless person off the curb a rip-up their ‘please help’ sign.

🤔

Last edited:
Somehow my personality (or whatever) doesn’t align with the ‘never volunteer’ way of thinking.

But… I’d happily kick a homeless person off the curb a rip-up their please help sign.

🤔

I am guessing that perhaps a physically fit angry man in an army uniform has never yelled and screamed at you repeatedly, teaching you to never volunteer for any reason or he would use that opportunity to further your daily mental and physical torture. That experiences teaches one quite quickly how to hide in plain sight and never make a sound.

I am guessing that perhaps a physically fit angry man in an army uniform has never yelled and screamed at you repeatedly, teaching you to never volunteer for any reason or he would use that opportunity to further your daily mental and physical torture. That experiences teaches one quite quickly how to hide in plain sight and never make a sound.
Doesn’t apply to me when being invisible or hiding in plain sight is only an in-accomplishable dream.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back