Hi from another noob

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you run to the front window during tornado alerts. :oops:

LOL, I love a good train wreak too.
No. Actually it's the back window. Gotta look to the west or south and my front window faces east.

But yes. If I hear the sirens.......I'm going to run to the window and maybe even out on the back porch if it's day time. That bobcat may be under the bush if it's night.

Where in Alaska? We lived in Eagle River outside of Anchorage. I taught at a school in Chugiak.

I purchased an old Alaskan Homestead somewhere between the Matanuska and the Nelchina Glacier along the Glenn where we spend 95% of our time. I have a place in Palmer on one of the lakes that my son lives in and takes care of that we stay at when we need to go to town. Can’t wait to sell that place and be a 100% full time bum here on my mountain.

Eagle River probably hasn’t changed much since you left, but the Mat-Su valley area has gone from the mid 70k population to just under 110k in about 2 decades. Los Anchorage is still a great place to see fading quickly behind you in the rear view mirror…

Again, welcome, and this is a good new home for those escaping some of those other crazy forums.

I purchased an old Alaskan Homestead somewhere between the Matanuska and the Nelchina Glacier along the Glenn where we spend 95% of our time. I have a place in Palmer on one of the lakes that my son lives in and takes care of that we stay at when we need to go to town. Can’t wait to sell that place and be a 100% full time bum here on my mountain.

Eagle River probably hasn’t changed much since you left, but the Mat-Su valley area has gone from the mid 70k population to just under 110k in about 2 decades. Los Anchorage is still a great place to see fading quickly behind you in the rear view mirror…

Again, welcome, and this is a good new home for those escaping some of those other crazy forums.
We left Alaska right after the first (only?) Walmart opened in Eagle River. The Mat-Su valley was really the place to go even then. We loved Alaska.

I just escaped one of those crazy forums and this place has a really good feel to it. I am thinking of changing my name to my known name at other places next month when I am able to do that. I know a few people here but they might not know they know me.

Bienveneetoes from Freezona. :) ..and..

...I home schooled 3 of my 4 children through high school and they are all college graduates now.

Amen to This. :cool: Our 3 kids (all grown now, One still under-roof for a bit yet..) were All Homeschooled for at least Some of their years.. Did have them in the 'Indoctrination Centers' :rolleyes: for a number of years (mostly Elementary..) which - actually, was good for them to See / Experience the 'contrast' (that way, they would not think 'OMG, I am missing So much Funnn!' when told 'No, sorry you can't go to that Party', etc.. Learned from 'Others consequences', vs too much of their Own.. 👍

..And, we got #1 Daughter out of HellSchool just in time (before Convid) and Graduates 'from Home' this year with Honors. :cool:

Anyhoo, nice to have / eMeet ya, Cya out there.. 👊
jd

Greeting from west Lake Superior..

If you are going to grade posts for spelling and grammar, I'm doomed.. I have been known to make spell check give up with ..no recommendation.. Also, I grew up where ...throw the cow over the fence some hay... was a legitimate request..

If you are going to grade posts for spelling and grammar, I'm doomed.. I have been known to make spell check give up with ..no recommendation.. Also, I grew up where ...throw the cow over the fence some hay... was a legitimate request..
Don’t feel bad , I make up words. I figure if Shakespeare and Carroll made up words, I’m following the examples of the greats 😉
Welcome aboard 😁

Bienveneetoes from Freezona. :) ..and..

Amen to This. :cool: Our 3 kids (all grown now, One still under-roof for a bit yet..) were All Homeschooled for at least Some of their years.. Did have them in the 'Indoctrination Centers' :rolleyes: for a number of years (mostly Elementary..) which - actually, was good for them to See / Experience the 'contrast' (that way, they would not think 'OMG, I am missing So much Funnn!' when told 'No, sorry you can't go to that Party', etc.. Learned from 'Others consequences', vs too much of their Own.. 👍

..And, we got #1 Daughter out of HellSchool just in time (before Convid) and Graduates 'from Home' this year with Honors. :cool:

Anyhoo, nice to have / eMeet ya, Cya out there.. 👊
jd
I took my 3 younger children out of public school early on and put them in private schools where I was teaching. When our private school in Alaska closed, I started home schooling them 5th grade for our daughter and 8th grade for our twins. I think I did well. Science is my weak subject and one of the twins still became a chemical engineer.

Our oldest son went to overseas DoD schools through 4th grade and had good public schools after that. I did interviews of his teachers in every parent teacher conference just to make sure. In the 4th grade he had to correct his teacher on the pronunciation of the word "hyperbole". I told him to never correct his teacher again and I gave her a pass on it. He is 9 years older than the twins so it was a different era in time.

We used ABeka curriculum. It was great.

Oh please............ I've been known to make up words and sometimes proper grammar just isn't appropriate in speaking which is what we are doing here like it or not.

Plus. My first degree was in music.......my daughter hated that I analyzed all her favorite songs. And I have a list of words that should NEVER be in any song ever, and I hear all music mistakes just as I see all grammatical mistakes. I understand that I am somewhat of a mess so I just ask that you have mercy on me.

When we moved from Anchorage to Seattle we drove (in the winter). Might we have driven by your house? :p
Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, I lived in Seattle up to the late 1960's, I loved hiking and fishing in the Cascades but greatly disliked every thing else about Seattle, where we live now is paradise. You found a good place to be, lots of great information on homesteading by people who live the homesteading life.

Oh please............ I've been known to make up words and sometimes proper grammar just isn't appropriate in speaking which is what we are doing here like it or not.

Plus. My first degree was in music.......my daughter hated that I analyzed all her favorite songs. And I have a list of words that should NEVER be in any song ever, and I hear all music mistakes just as I see all grammatical mistakes. I understand that I am somewhat of a mess so I just ask that you have mercy on me.
My Mom used to take the newspaper JUST to go through it and highlight the grammar mistakes. Every Monday morning she would drop the papers off to the editors! I miss that lady!!

I was well schooled in English and can type in perfect spelling and grammar.
But I choose not to, and intentionally post in redneck dialect to let my personality shine thru, and to keep things light-hearted. :)
Nobody likes 'uppity-people'.:(

I was well schooled in English and can type in perfect spelling and grammar.
But I choose not to, and intentionally post in redneck dialect to let my personality shine thru, and to keep things light-hearted. :)
Nobody likes 'uppity-people'.:(
That's exactly the way to do it and look at it. This ain't no term paper.🥸

FB_IMG_1528403081669.jpg

When we moved from Anchorage to Seattle we drove (in the winter). Might we have driven by your house? :p
you would have but a fair way to the west of My part of the world, As Corb Lund sang, east of the Rockies but west of the rest

you would have but a fair way to the west of My part of the world, As Corb Lund sang, east of the Rockies but west of the rest
We stayed at a lodge just south of the Yukon border. It was beautiful. Had flights up to a lake where people fished (you couldn't drive to the lake). I have always thought I'd like to go back there.

iu

We drove across Yukon to White Horse then straight down the entire length of British Columbia. We had 3 kids and 2 cats (our dog hated car riding so he got to fly). We even made it across the sharp rock part of the road in Yukon without flat tires. It was a wonderful trip. I guess we were IN the Rockies, not east of them.

We drove across Yukon to White Horse then straight down the entire length of British Columbia. We had 3 kids and 2 cats (our dog hated car riding so he got to fly). We even made it across the sharp rock part of the road in Yukon without flat tires. It was a wonderful trip. I guess we were IN the Rockies, not east of them.
either route you could have taken south would have been an adventure, I am Guessing the Alaska highway route if you were in the rockies. pretty remote country there

either route you could have taken south would have been an adventure, I am Guessing the Alaska highway route if you were in the rockies. pretty remote country there
It was a great trip! We had the big book telling us what we needed to know. It took us a week because we traveled only in daylight hours. We had no cell phone. We did have a friend who thought we should have been able to call him and when we didn't, he called all of our relatives (he didn't even know them) and he called the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (who laughed at him). We called him from Cache Creek, our last stop before Seattle and boy did we get an ear full.
yukon.jpg

I went up the alaska highway in the mid eighties, pretty rugged then , probably still similar today, except maybe a bit better communication set up.

I went up the alaska highway in the mid eighties, pretty rugged then , probably still similar today, except maybe a bit better communication set up.
We did the drive with no cell phones. The cells available in Alaska at that time were only good within the state so we didn't get one.
It was pretty rugged in 2001 when we made the drive. We only saw a few cars each day. It was a two lane highway (not an interstate or even like one).

Shortly after we arrived in Seattle, the bridge over the Yukon River went out and people had to wait for 3 days to cross it. To go another way was a thousand miles-ish. There is really only one road from Tok, Alaska through most of British Columbia until you come to the choice between going to Alberta or Seattle.

And that 30 mile section of huge jagged rock road in the Yukon, from what I hear is still there. Many people lose at least one tire on it.... thankfully we didn't. It was an exciting trip.

@Senedra Here’s that pic I mentioned days ago. Taken at sea somewhere between Sardina and Monico, it was winter and cold. Not a great pic but the thing i remember most was that the sunsets/sky looked so different there. The sky is just different in the Med, different shades of red. Even blue sky looks different, sand from the sahara I guess.

We were anchored near Taormina Sicily once. I was outside to watch the sunset. The sun was setting directly behind Mt. Etna. Amazing view but the sun seemed to hang with just a little red showing at the peak. Then I realized it was the glow of the volcano!!! The sun kept setting… and was replaced by the glow of the lava, sort of an optical illusion on a grand scale. 🤣

Monico Sard.jpg

Last edited:
@Senedra Here’s that pic I mentioned days ago. Taken at sea somewhere between Sardina and Monico, it was winter and cold. Not a great pic but the thing i remember most was that the sunsets/sky looked so different there. The sky is just different in the Med, different shades of red. Even blue sky looks different, sand from the sahara I guess.

We were anchored near Taormina Sicily once. I was outside to watch the sunset. The sun was setting directly behind Etna. Amazing view but the sun seemed to hang with just a little red showing at the peak. Then I realized it was the glow of the volcano!!! The sun kept setting… and was replaced by the glow of the lava, sort of an optical illusion on a grand scale. 🤣

View attachment 128238
The sky seemed different on the Med to me too. We took a ferry from Porto Torrez, Sardinia to Genoa, Italy. It was overnight though so I didn't take pictures.

Camera's have never been my thing. Had a decent pentax when i was in the Med and middle east but didn't know how to use it. If i had a regret...

The sky was just amazing at sunset and dawn while at sea. There's too much dust in the air near egypt/coast of africa. The Sahara throws tons of dust in the air each day. My pictures look like the lens was dirty. But near southern europe there's not so much dust. Much better colors in the sky and very different than here in Bama.

This is my favorite egypt pic, my 'what's wrong with this picture' picture. It's of the Nile delta, a mud brick house w/thatched roof. A water buffalo in the yard and a mercedes in the driveway. 🤣 It cracked me up, the car looked so strange in that setting.

And the sky was always that color, a dusty grey/brown.

Picture Wrong.jpg

Last edited:
Back