How Salt Shaped Civilization: From the Roman Empire to the French Revolution

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
june 25,2024

From the very first settlement in recorded history, early humans knew that to survive in the new age of agriculture, they'd need two things: access to water, and a source of salt. Without salt, our meats and vegetables wouldn't last long enough to help us survive droughts, monsoons, and long periods between harvests. Our bodies wouldn't have the necessary nutrients to live, and the entire experiment in building permanent villages might have failed. Salt tells the story of everything- as it was a foundational component of every culture, ever. And the lengths societies went to in order to procure the stuff...well that gave us innovations ranging from commerce to hydraulics to so much more. In this video we look at the origins of the salt trade. The myths and legends surrounding its discovery, and the incredible stories from the earliest days of history all the way to the 20th century that have followed humanity's long and important love affair with salt.

https://www.alibris.com/search/book...IRa3uMb1HduqQEEsNXhoCwpQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have this book for many years now.
I was surprised to find that salt was used as money at one time & now you can get confused about which salt to buy.
I like pink & sea salt.
1719512690568.png

https://www.alibris.com/search/book...IRa3uMb1HduqQEEsNXhoCwpQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have this book for many years now.
I was surprised to find that salt was used as money at one time & now you can get confused about which salt to buy.
I like pink & sea salt.
View attachment 156149
And if you follow the endless drone of the "low-salt, No-salt" idiots today, they are working to take it away from us. :mad:
Down here, you need to sweat. If you don't have salt, you can't sweat and you will overheat, no matter how much 'water' you drink.

And if you follow the endless drone of the "low-salt, No-salt" idiots today, they are working to take it away from us. :mad:
Down here, you need to sweat. If you don't have salt, you can't sweat and you will overheat, no matter how much 'water' you drink.
Not all are idiots. Some health conditions need low salt.

My departed father in law loved salt. He would put salt on his salt. After clearing the table you could tell where he salt because there would be circle of salt where his plate was.

Ben

Not all are idiots. Some health conditions need low salt.

My departed father in law loved salt. He would put salt on his salt. After clearing the table you could tell where he salt because there would be circle of salt where his plate was.

Ben
This is true, some people need to limit their salt intake.
But for them to try to convince everybody in the nation that they all have HBP and need to cut out all their salt, is lunacy. :mad:

This is true, some people need to limit their salt intake.
But for them to try to convince everybody in the nation that they all have HBP and need to cut out all their salt, is lunacy. :mad:

Not throwing shade, but I don't know how much I would trust a you tube personality for medical advice. But then again I wouldn't trust an American doctor either.
I have followed Doctor berry for over a year & lost 50 pound, feel better than I have in years, so I trust his word because so far everything I tried has went the way he said it would. My real Doctor is happy with the results.

Latest posts

Back