Jokes and Humor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1692333222248.jpeg

Man, it sucks to get old and start receiving ads like this:

View attachment 114323

Actually, I do have one of these devices. I got it back when I was having some PVC's. I wholeheartedly recommend it if you have the medical training and experience to read ECG's and can spot abnormal things on your own. For those without this training, it might still be useful, but it can only detect a limited number of things on it's own. Pretty much you'd have to let it send it's stuff off to your doctor for analysis. Which is what it is designed to do. For a subscription fee, of course. But if you have the training you can review things locally yourself for free. Without the subscription it doesn't save your old ECG's. But it's trivial to tell it to email you the PDF of the ECG it just took - and then you store that PDF file on your own. For as inexpensive as it is, it does take quality ECG's, albeit limb leads only, and anything other than Lead I requires you to be a contortionist.

Here's an example of a Lead I ECG that mine took off of me. Not a bad image for checking for bad things (nothing bad illustrated here):

View attachment 114324

Here's something a bit more interesting (from before I had the ablation that straightened out things so they now look like the above):

View attachment 114325

In my case, these PVC's were benign (and transient), but it's nice to be able to capture that "funny feeling in your chest" to see what it is and discuss it with your doctor. FWIW, this personal ECG device will not detect the above obvious PVC's as an abnormal reading on its own. It only detects things like A-Fib on it's own. So it is mostly reliant on being able to transmit to someone knowledgeable for analysis. Which is why I mentioned that the device might be more valuable if you have some medical training to interpret the results yourself. Although, I can't imagine that even a lump of coal wouldn't question whether the above is normal or not. I guess it is regular/repeatable, so some might misinterpret that as "normal".

Still - I had to laugh at the advertisement for "appreciating Baby Boomers"!
We got one of these for my husband when he developed a fib. They aren't bad, but numerous times, it would say normal sinus rhythm, when in fact he was having subtle arrhythmias. It also didn't recognize PVCs, PACs and several other arrhythmias. Like any tool, you have to remember it is just a tool. You use the tool to help, but you have to treat the patient, not the test results! If someone is having chest pain, but the Kardia says normal rhythm, you still need to address the chest pain! These things are nice, but too many times, I've seen people rely on the tool, and not with the actual problem. In a couple of cases, I've seen poor outcomes as a result.

Latest posts

Back