Nuclear War & Survival Help

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, we do. Telling someone though that they are an idiot and providing no guidance in that, produces few results though.
someone who has been on forums for the last 20 years (not you) and has learned nothing in all that time and treats it all as one big joke, is beyond mine or anyone else's help, they will not survive and I call that stupid given all the knowledge they must have ignored in all that time.
I know for a fact he was on a UK survival forum for some time and ignored all the advice he was given, a lost cause if ever there was one. he inhabits fantasy land not reality.

someone who has been on forums for the last 20 years (not you) and has learned nothing in all that time and treats it all as one big joke, is beyond mine or anyone else's help, they will not survive and I call that stupid given all the knowledge they must have ignored in all that time.
I know for a fact he was on a UK survival forum for some time and ignored all the advice he was given, a lost cause if ever there was one. he inhabits fantasy land not reality.

And there are the ignorant as well. You just ignore and move on or hope maybe there will be something that hits them up side the head like a 2x4 at some point and they figure it out.

Thing about tough women, we want an equal partner, not men who can't hold their own. You are window shopping without a wallet.

Thing about tough women, we want an equal partner, not men who can't hold their own. You are window shopping without a wallet.
yep, and the violent part of WTSHTF will be a tiny tiny part of the equation, the rest will be having the knowledge and skills to be able to survive for probably the rest of ones life without the modern resources and technology that so many rely on these days.

Well I've been winning internet wargaming competitions for the past 20 years under my fighting name "PoorOldSpike"..:cool:

FGM-ladder.png

war-fgm-bannerB.png

Um....a gamer? No. I am talking REAL WORLD. You want a real world woman and not the VR version, why would you expect a tough woman to want anything other than a real man?

Um....a gamer? No. I am talking REAL WORLD. You want a real world woman and not the VR version, why would you expect a tough woman to want anything other than a real man?

If wargames are good enough for the military they're good enough for moi..:)

MCWC-wargame-Lacey-13-cropped.jpg

Look, I was trained by my father who grew up on a farm in the Great Depression, lied about his age to enlist for WWII and was in the first class of Frogmen/Navy Seals.

He never laid a hand on me in discipline but he had three favorite sayings. The first was “quit your blubbering or I will really give you something to cry about”. The second was “if you had a brain you’d be dangerous”. The third was “I am going to kick your butt up on your shoulders”.

I take orders from no man or woman. I do what I think needs doing and will break real bones doing it. A gamer wouldn’t know what to do with a real cowgirl. You're window shopping.

Last edited:
gaming is no substitute for the real thing, nor is basing survival on old films or BBC fiction, its down to real skills and knowledge which takes real work, not sitting at a computer desk playing war games. until someone learns that and learns it soon they will be dead meat WTSHTF.

Like I said earlier...all hat, no cattle. It is good for suggestions and options but, very different on a real field of battle. But, unless you have DONE it, you are the equivalent to all those WEF-ers who read about farming in school and then try to tell REAL farmers how to do it.

...Back to the nuke survival (because I don't wear petticoats or chaps)-

What recommendations do you all have for making a basement more fallout ready?

We have no bunker and never will have. We can't afford one and our land is mostly forest except the gardens, so there's no real place for one. A basement is going to be our best fallout shelter, but I'm still confused as to how to truly seal it off or get enough mass between us and the outside world.

Where we live would most likely be extremely far from any blasts but we are in the wind pattern for fallout.

Congratulations. Unfortunately, for you, it isn't edible.

We have no bunker and never will have. We can't afford one and our land is mostly forest except the gardens, so there's no real place for one. A basement is going to be our best fallout shelter, but I'm still confused as to how to truly seal it off or get enough mass between us and the outside world.

Where we live would most likely be extremely far from any blasts but we are in the wind pattern for fallout.

Back when I was growing up, during the cold war, there were many people we knew who had fallout shelters in their basements. One stood out to me. It was made of double thickness concrete filled, rebar reinforced cinderblock walls, built on top of the basement slab. There was no door, just a narrow entry that had two 90 degree turns. It wasn't huge, maybe 12x16. There was a sump pump in the corner and the ceiling was also concrete. It was located mainly under the first floor stairs (which I assume they would have filled with sandbags or such).

The 90 degree turns are so that the radioactive isotopes which can't go around corners apparently, and you still have air flow.

Back when I was growing up, during the cold war, there were many people we knew who had fallout shelters in their basements. One stood out to me. It was made of double thickness concrete filled, rebar reinforced cinderblock walls, built on top of the basement slab. There was no door, just a narrow entry that had two 90 degree turns. It wasn't huge, maybe 12x16. There was a sump pump in the corner and the ceiling was also concrete. It was located under the first floor stairs (which I assume they would have filled with sandbags or such.

The 90 degree turns are so that the radioactive isotopes which can't go around corners apparently, and you still have air flow.
Thank you. That's helpful to know.
We have the materials for the wall in the basement but I hadn't considered the two turns into the plan. I'll have to think about that.

I hope WW3 holds off long enough to finish!

Thank you. That's helpful to know.
We have the materials for the wall in the basement but I hadn't considered the two turns into the plan. I'll have to think about that.

I hope WW3 holds off long enough to finish!

Now that I closed my eyes and saw it again, it was four turns in a U shape.... Turn right, turn left, turn left, turn right.

That's it, put more mass between you and the outside fallout Your distance is fixed. Pile up dirt along the sides of your basement, if that's not practical, have some sandbags ready to put there. Stay away from the outside walls of basement during the fallout. Prepare for minimum of 15- 30 days inside basement, depending on the type of nuke. the yield and distance.

I would need a bit more info regarding the design and size of the basement.

The reasons a turn is put into entrance ways is because radiation travels in a straight line . Of course radioactive dust could potentially get carried into an entrance way breeching that security turn . In the case of a home basement . If the basement is completely underground the chances of radiation reaching through the walls is small . The danger is from above . Dust laying on the homes roof could potentially penetrate the roof , ceiling and the floor reaching sending it's radiation into the basement . Then again you have the security of distance from the roof to the basement . If I thought I needed more protection stacking something heavy like sand bags on the floor directly above the basement would be my strategy . .

A couple of books to get before things go wrong. Titled Nuclear War Survival Skills and Expedient Shelter Construction by Cresson Kearny. Got the first one on order from Barnes and Noble. Will get the other one after the first one arrives. Had a copy of Nuclear War Survival Skills many years ago. Excellent read and information.

Another thought I had on the basement . If the occupants kept low to the floor , it would also minimize exposure . But yes those windows would be a problem and apparently some of the basement is above ground so as " Proud Prepper " said , fortify the outside wall with something heavy . --- On that distance from the roof to the basement , I have no idea as to how quickly radiation dissipates with distance . The type of roof would make a difference as radioactive dust likely would be trapped on a rough shingle roof whereas a metal roof would shed it's deadly contents easier . Pitch of the roof would also make a difference .

Last edited:
back just after WW2, many people in Britain thought there was going to be a war with the then Soviet Union.
some like wife's parents even did something about it, they moved from the northern city of Leeds and bought a small rural off grid cottage in East Devon, everything in the countryside in Britain was off grid in those days, no mains electric, no mains toilets, wood stove for cooking, oil lamps for light and an outside toilet, even water was off grid was handpumped from a well, people these days dont know their born.

Latest posts

Back