Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trip to a local park Sunday afternoon.

63C8127B-F86A-455B-A806-E887A9CFDA22.jpeg
201856C4-CE03-4240-ADEC-BBA888342A0A.jpeg
CECD4498-5502-4650-B27E-230E056ABDF7.jpeg
BAFECCA0-D2C0-4BAF-A498-6BDEC944CD35.jpeg
160B6546-45B6-450B-A6D3-FCD0A485AA91.jpeg
C6C29C9A-0687-4CEE-8258-7EFBD5A7B881.jpeg
D9BDFECE-30F4-4444-A7C2-179E31EB6E34.jpeg
526E8A9B-B13E-4350-825B-1BB3F37D10DE.jpeg
01DEB536-B5BF-445D-ABF7-F0F22BC2F79C.jpeg
A6B1610C-E2CC-43BF-AAAC-B021CC3AC03F.jpeg

The National Western Stock Show is held every January in Denver. It is often really cold when it is happening. It lasts about two weeks. Many school children visit the stock show. I have been there with students. The Stock Show is always kicked off with a parade of long horn steers being herded down the main streets of downtown.

Stock show parade, 2024.JPG

There is always a champion steer that is put on display at the Brown Palace Hotel, downtown. It is auctioned off.

Grand champion steer  2024.JPG

One of the owners of one of the Grand Champions is from a very small town, Ree Heights, close to my hometown in South Dakota. Ree Heights is named for an outcrop of hills where the Ree Indians would camp. When we were in eighth grade, we had teachers who lived in Ree Heights who took us on an archaelogical trip to an area where they camped. Many arrow heads and other special stones have been found there. I did not realize that one the kids whose steer won was from there until I started this post.
Grand champion steer owners.JPG

Croix Reimann, 13, from Ree Heights, SD, center, with his Grand Champion named "Frosty", and Mason Shalla, 14, second from right, from Riverside, IA, with the Reserve Grand Champion named "Bear", are asked to pose for a photo with a group of rodeo queens at The Brown Palace Hotel on January 19, 2024 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo By Kathryn Scott/Special to The Denver Post)

did you ever play the wargames? We used to go to some of the conventions
I don't have the patience to paint the figures but love playing. We made a Harry Potter game once ( they have fantasy stuff there too)

your little bunnies are cute !
Oh heck yes. Played Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40K, Mordheim, Blood Bowl, Battlefleet Gothic, a brief stint with Malifaux, and — mostly him — Napoleon’s Battles. Husband also wrote a minatures-style hockey game that played fun-but-accurately, and a space game that actually uses real physics as best you can when playing 2D. (That one’s up on Wargame Vault.)

Between the husband and myself, we built a WH40K Space Marine / Skaven army converted from the plastic Mordheim Skaven and plastic Space Marine figures, and treated them as a Salamanders force.

We quit when the Warhammer rep handed us a $30 captain model for free (back in about 2007ish?, so that was expensive at the time), to see what we’d do with it. That was when we knew we were the high rollers at the blackjack table and it was time to be DONE. :D

Harry Potter game sounds fun — was it a wargame or a quidditch simulation?

Thanks so much for the compliment. I love my bunnies and have been having lots of fun making tiny things. I’ll probably have more tiny thing photos later!

You know you are a grown-up when you can appreciate good drains... :) and gorgeous citrus trees!
I think he needs to post a better pic of these and tell us what they do, I have never seen them before.
We have endless drainage problems down here because there is no 'downhill' to send it to :(.
Screenshot_20240124-152911_kindlephoto-2393850599.png

Mobridge, Ree Heights, Chamberland is little known to much of the state let alone the country... There is more going on around there in respect to grazing/livestock production than a lot of North America would suspect.. Of course Als Oasis is always a fun, convenient gas stop...

I think he needs to post a better pic of these and tell us what they do, I have never seen them before.
We have endless drainage problems down here because there is no 'downhill' to send it to :(.
View attachment 123397
Those are the electronic sprinkler valves for the 3 zones in the back yard. They activate bubblers to all my planter landscaping, my fruit trees, and my plumeria bushes. I just can't understand why the previous owner decided to bury them with concrete surrounding the pipes. One "oops" kick will force me to have to pull out my air chisel and expose the pipes below the concrete. Dumb!

Attachments

• 17061396174494210086945763752073.jpg
    17061396174494210086945763752073.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Those are the electronic sprinkler valves for the 3 zones in the back yard. They activate bubblers to all my planter landscaping, my fruit trees, and my plumeria bushes. I just can't understand why the previous owner decided to bury them with concrete surrounding the pipes. One "oops" kick will force me to have to pull out my air chisel and expose the pipes below the concrete. Dumb!
Ah-hAH!! So you are one of the people lowering lake Mead! :waiting:

Those pipes are asking for an oops! I'd make a little 3 sided box out of 2x10 or x8 just for a little protection.

Egg Plant

a egg plant.jpg

I’ve never seen a matilija poppy with crispy edges! 🤣
View attachment 123435

(Photo is not mine, swiped from the ‘net, but definitely not fake.)

I'm sure i've seen them but can't recall, wasn't into plant medicine when i moved to Santa clarita ca. Took a drive north into the hills exploring one weekend. Having no idea what i was about to see... i topped a hill and found myself looking down the antelope valley, maybe 15miles. The ca poppy preserve was in full bloom, miles and miles of them, as far as i could see. My photo's didn't do it justice, an amazing sight! Right up there with the first time i saw Yosemite.

1706294387087.png

Not a great photo but I wanted to take it quickly without disturbing them. Some of our pheasants. Hoping to keep the gorgeous black one and get him a few lady friends.
When I turned around this was Trip, waiting for a stick to be thrown - or a pheasant to escape.
1706294503609.png

I'm bored and looking at random pics on my computer.
One of my cousins with her (now husband but he was her fiance at the time) getting her engagement ring looked at by Leslie Jones on Supermarket Sweep.
1706322655139.png

My brother sitting on a Deadpool popup poster thingy at the movie theater.
1706323068604.png

Latest posts

Back