Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bet I know where you'll be
He's been there before;)...
Interesting trivia: Both me and Peanut were in school at Shelton State Community College, in the same year, back in the 70's.:oops:

I drive on this every day

Where exactly is that bridge in relation to highway 61 or some of the other references below? I used to live pretty near there and would drive over that river on 61 often heading down to Baton Rouge or New Orleans and occasionally on 84 or 33. Kids would go 4 wheeling along the river and I think that river is where they would go noodling. Not sure about that last part, but it was in that area.

He's been there before;)...
Interesting trivia: Both me and Peanut were in school at Shelton State Community College, in the same year, back in the 70's.:oops:

The old school is gone. There's a home depot on that spot now. They've been at the new place since 94. We didn't know each other way back when but it was a small school. Sure we knew each other by sight. There's over 3000 students at the new school.

the university of alabama had 17k enrolled back then. They had over 40k this year. The fire fighter school is still there... several other schools of various types moved in. i don't recognize the town anymore. Especially after the 2011 tornado, it wiped away much of the old city i knew. It's all built back new. And when the fall semester starts the population grows by 75k.

Last edited:
Skip waiting for his carrot.
20240112_144925.jpg

Since i mentioned it... this is the 2011 tornado path just before it hit Tuskaloosa. The buildings on the skyline to the right is the city. The nado grew, was even larger when it got there, a big ef-4. State wide 285 people died that day. Lots of bad storms, a tornado missed me by a mile or so, I could hear it. Got my cousin's house just down the road, they were in the storm shelter.

Tornado 2011 01.jpg

Where exactly is that bridge in relation to highway 61 or some of the other references below? I used to live pretty near there and would drive over that river on 61 often heading down to Baton Rouge or New Orleans and occasionally on 84 or 33. Kids would go 4 wheeling along the river and I think that river is where they would go noodling. Not sure about that last part, but it was in that area.
Google. Camp Ridge Point
Hey 84 east from hwy 61
i Natchez. Hey 61 Take hwy 84 East
Google. Camp Ridge Point. Eddiceton Ms.
The bridge is on Burris rd

Since i mentioned it... this is the 2011 tornado path just before it hit Tuskaloosa. The buildings on the skyline to the right is the city. The nado grew, was even larger when it got there, a big ef-4. State wide 285 people died that day. Lots of bad storms, a tornado missed me by a mile or so, I could hear it. Got my cousin's house just down the road, they were in the storm shelter.

View attachment 122703
Tennessee got hammered by that same system. Not as bad as Bama did. But IIRC we lost 80 people statewide. We had a nado drop out just over a mile from the house. Every house but 4 in our little town had some damage that night. 3 separate waves of storms moved thru. First one was the worst

Google. Camp Ridge Point
Hey 84 east from hwy 61

Thank you! I know exactly where it’s at. I always enjoyed our drives through that area, but I never knew about that particular bridge. Could have, should have, would have…

Google. Camp Ridge Point
Hey 84 east from hwy 61
Thank you! I know exactly where it’s at. I always enjoyed our drives through that area, but I never knew about that particular bridge. Could have, should have, would have…
The bridge is actually condemned the road closed with wood baracades

But, in typical country boy fashion the road has been extended around the baracade and the bridge is used every day
The owner of camp ridge point maintains it because it his access to his camp.
3 or 4 years ago the top layer of planks were replaced. The crew tossed the creosote planks off the bridge into a pile below. Then they decided to burn the pile to be rid of it
Creosote planks burn very hot and the flames started the bottom of the bridge on fire. Lol. We stood around shaking our heads and mumbling something about a stupid female dog

Wood removed and replaced by a different crew

If you ever travel back to this area, give me a heads up,

Google. Camp Ridge Point
Hey 84 east from hwy 61

The bridge is actually condemned the road closed with wood baracades

But, in typical country boy fashion the road has been extended around the baracade and the bridge is used every day
The owner of camp ridge point maintains it because it his access to his camp.
3 or 4 years ago the top layer of planks were replaced. The crew tossed the creosote planks off the bridge into a pile below. Then they decided to burn the pile to be rid of it
Creosote planks burn very hot and the flames started the bottom of the bridge on fire. Lol. We stood around shaking our heads and mumbling something about a stupid female dog

Wood removed and replaced by a different crew

If you ever travel back to this area, give me a heads up,

If I were to come back it would be about November and a football game would be involved! I would certainly give you a holler. That was originally a bridge for trains, correct?

If I were to come back it would be about November and a football game would be involved! I would certainly give you a holler. That was originally a bridge for trains, correct?
No, that bridge , is still in use by the RR. It looks the same and can be seen while you are on 84

IMG_1057.png
This is the homachitto river train bridge as seen from 84

Stargazy pie (Cornish: Hogen Ster-Lagatta; sometimes called starrey gazey pie, stargazey pie and other variants) is a Cornish dish made of baked pilchards (sardines), along with eggs and potatoes, covered with a pastry crust. Although there are a few variations using other types of fish, the unique feature of stargazy pie is fish heads (and sometimes tails) protruding through the crust, so that they appear to be gazing to the stars.

Stargazey pie 1.JPG

Stargazy pie (Cornish: Hogen Ster-Lagatta; sometimes called starrey gazey pie, stargazey pie and other variants) is a Cornish dish made of baked pilchards (sardines), along with eggs and potatoes, covered with a pastry crust. Although there are a few variations using other types of fish, the unique feature of stargazy pie is fish heads (and sometimes tails) protruding through the crust, so that they appear to be gazing to the stars.

View attachment 122771
IMG_1060.gif

I know a crew of young guys who occasionally would do paint ball, capture the flag, in our woods.... A case of sodas, a couple pots of tea, several boxes of crackers and some cubed up cheese and they would devour that in a hot minute... I'd help them...

Bologna cake. I'd eat a couple olives.

cake! View attachment 122765

I know a crew of young guys who occasionally would do paint ball, capture the flag, in our woods.... A case of sodas, a couple pots of tea, several boxes of crackers and some cubed up cheese and they would devour that in a hot minute... I'd help them...
Tim I was working construction since ‘76
And you would not believe the amount of work a 12 pack of beer will get you.
I have seen a crew of carpenters complete frame a house for a case of cold beer and a smoked brisket with trimmings
Beer and bbq is $ among tradesmen

Latest posts

Back