The Ladies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn I wouldn't sign off on a reduced time frame. Not with lots of stuff to move and no where to move it to

They offered me essentially 3x what I paid for the property including improvements, with a hefty bonus if I get out in a month and a half. My theory is that worst case scenario I end up putting stuff in a secure storage facility and live in a hotel. They didn't think they would be able to start their project until spring, but if I vacate they can start in September. So speeding things up will put profits in their hand faster.

Wow they really want that property. Good for you. Hope you can find something you like quickly

I actually don't think I did as well as the neighbors, but they had more acres too. When I bought my place it had been for sale for a long time with no interest, so I got it will under market. Of course now everything seems to be getting developed around here and I was the one chunk of dirt that was keeping them from moving forward. I am sure they will make millions when these 4 properties become 40+ houses on big mountainous lots.

As long as you are satisfied with what you got is all that matters

3 months ago I would have dug in and said **** you. But spending 12+ hours in a car every week just getting from here to the city and back for the lady, work, etc. and I am really looking forward to being closer. If things go bad with the lady I am moving out this damn state anyway. Thinking Wyoming, South Dakota or Idaho.

I can see that. But it'd be tough for me to give up country life for a city.

I have never had a stable residence in my life. I have been a wondering nomad living wherever I was at the time. The compound was the very first thing I really owned and a knee jerk attempt at putting down some roots. If I had animals or gardens or a real house I may have hesitated more. This place really is just a big metal garage with a bed and some concrete. Plus I am not sure I will end up in the city itself. There are a lot of places for rent or lease closer to the city but still outside of it. The countryside is peppered with houses, condos, cabins, etc.

I have wondered about moving those containers and storing them securely. That might be the biggest challenge.

The same guy who I bought them from has a flat bed trailer designed to pick up, haul and place shipping containers. It even has a fork lift like machine on it. They were able to deliver them with ease, so I am sure they can relocate them too. Presuming I leave behind my futon, other than those two containers, a lime tree and what's on my patio, everything I own could probably fit in a single pick up load.

Ah, so the lady DOES have flaws! Then again, doesn't everybody?!

Good luck finding a new place!

Thanks. Fortunately she has no flaws in the area of researching rentals and coordinating moves. In fact I am pretty sure she has already done 10x more in both areas than I have. She keeps texting me links and sending me notes about things I have to get done. She would make a good Drill Sergeant.

Have YOU Found anything that You Like...?!? and You don't need to 🐝 reminded, but, Check out Zoning and Property Tax(es)...?! :lightbulb:

Have YOU Found anything that You Like...?!? and You don't need to 🐝 reminded, but, Check out Zoning and Property Tax(es)...?! :lightbulb:

I am going to go check out this 2 bedroom rental cabin today. It's 25 miles out of the city, so a lot closer but still in the country. It has a half basement which is all basically for storage. I would have been happier if it had a garage, but I could always get one of those pop up units.

c1.png

c2.png

c3.png

Nice ... I like it.

Too bad it isn't for sale!

Ever consider buying some acreage and building yourself a similar cabin?

Edit: You NEED a garage of sorts! How much is the rent?
Is that water on the left of the cabin?? That looks like one cool place!!

I am now locked into temporary mode until I figure out what my life is going to look like a year or two down the road. Rent on the place is $2K a month plus I have to cover my own utilities. It's not in the pics but I guess the owner put in some solar panels this summer.

Yes, there is a small lake nearby and a highway not to far up the road.

$24K would bee a Nice DP on a Smaller Cozier Place...?!?

$24K would bee a Nice DP on a Smaller Cozier Place...?!?

I agree, but I think a year from now when her lease is up, she wants to live together. So I am kind of stuck in a holding pattern for 11-12 months or so. Plus I am going to do well selling the compound and the interest will more than cover my expenses and still increase the principle.

During one verbal day dream we talked about buying a place together someday. It became quite clear that her financial capabilities exceeded mine, as did her expectations for comfort. She commented that we should buy a home in the city and a nice mountain cabin. Meanwhile I was thinking about how expensive bologna had gotten.

She commented that we should buy a home in the city and a nice mountain cabin. Meanwhile I was thinking about how expensive bologna had gotten.
I get this idea. I have known people who have done this. You can build a nice cabin out as more of a place for escaping life in the city, especially if and when SHTF. She sounds like someone who has probably lived life with lots of comforts. Some people can also like living more rustically, but we are each different.

You could have a nice cabin that you can rent out or just keep for your own uses.

She and her ex had a few businesses, and he bought her out, so she likely has a bunch of money stashed, waiting for the right places to invest it.

Property prices any where have gotten ridiculous. Properties in the city are so expensive now that the down payments are more than what I paid for my home.

The next place on my list of rentals to visit, this one tomorrow. It is definitely more upscale and more expensive at $3k a month, but it's only 10 miles out of the city. The white building that looks like a small house is actually a garage with a small shop area. I am not finding any of these, the lady is.

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png

b4.png

The cabin was very well made and sturdy, they did a great job building it. Unfortunately I was like the 3rd person to look at it and the other two are both interested and ahead of me in line. It's still farther away from the apartment than I want to be and the no garage thing sucks. We will see what tomorrow's showing brings.

I found the perfect place! Its a bit fancy for my taste, but the overall ambience is wonderful. Unfortunately the lady disagreed so back to the drawing board. 🙁

View attachment 161003

View attachment 161004
Now that's the one!! I notice it has plenty of sleeping spots, so plenty of room for the daughter too! I have your lady take a second look!!🤣

It's nice but the little 18" stove???? What is the square footage?

It's pretty good sized, I would say all told it's about 850-900 sq feet. There is a second "living room" off the room pictures plus two "bedrooms" or whatever I wanted to use them for. And I cook more on a grill than in the house.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back