This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, I'm obviously tired, and these pills for my headache doesn't improve my reading or understanding, better to sign off

As I understand it there is the real way to make spirits and the easy way.

The real way involves grains and vats and ageing in 1000-year-old caves yada yada. The sort of thing described in Gazrok's link.

The easy way is to make ethanol in a still then just add the "essence" of your choice, want scotch whiskey, add whiskey essence, want bourbon add bourbon essence etc etc.

While I'm sure the real way is better the easy way is what I would use. I do home brew beer, I could learn the anchient art of brewing or I could by a can of beer goop and some sugar from the supermarket, throw it in a vat for a few days, bottle it, and drink it a week or two later. I'm sure my brew is not anywhere near as good as most, but it's ok and really cheap.

In my case I'd rather be doing other things, my only interest in beer is drinking it, but of course many people see the making as an interesting hobby in its own right.

Never did understand the illegality of this (moonshine). Seems a bit outdated.

Government reason for tight control "public safety" all BS reasons! the real reason; the feds collect taxes according to the alcohol content below 14% above is a set amount. The feds collect 38billion a year in tax revenue from spirits alone and we all know the feds hate being cheated ('cheated' being used sarcastically)

Just took delivery of a second water tank, the truck couldn't get it on my pad so I'm using my Tirfor winch to get it in position.

140614_9EJ1372.jpg

This will give is a total of nearly 60,000 litres (~16,000 gals) of water storage.
Very nice! I have a 1050gal container and thought I had water covered! I think I remember you saying you're in a dry area with no running water on the property. Do you have a way to refill the tanks if you loose power?

Yes no permanent water anywhere near. We should never lose power because we have solar and 2 generators, plus two independent pressure pumps/systems, and I will soon have a petrol-driven fire fighting pump, so plenty of ways to move water around. The question is move it from where?

I will be adding a roof soon so we will be able to catch water, according to the last 10 years records with just 30 sq metres of catchment we will be in surplus. But if not it's cheap to buy in, at least for the time being. The only real fly in the ointment is growing food, no way we can cultivate normally so we're looking into hydro/aqua/airo-ponics but they all need technology and I'm moving away from that.

We just discovered "wicking beds" and they seem like a good low-tech option. We have friends nearby who have just put 3 in so I'm waiting to see how they go.

My Granpappy had an old old old family still in his barn. All copper, been patched a few times due to " Revenoors". He gave up " Shining" in the 70's. I bet that thing is still in that old shed. Hmmm, think I need to call my Aunt.

Thinking about buying a couple of these. Had one as a kid, great knife. All carbon steel, hand forged. 10.5" overall with a 6" curved blade. Its ucalled a Green River Buffalo Skinner. Price 23.50 each.
Order from: Crazy Crow Trading Post on line.
I also own two tomahawks that I bought from there 20+ years ago.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404009282.930401.jpg

Canned up 48 half pint jars of Vienna variations. . . hotdogs went on sale 2 for a $1. Couldn't pass up that so bought 51 packages. . . yeah, I cleared the shelf. I asked the butcher, he said he had more.. . . Ended up making 24 plain and 12 BBQ and 12 hot & spicy. Will end up doing more probably tomorrow depending on my day. Hey at least I was able to do some crocheting while my pressure canner was working
That's a pretty cool idea. I never thought about making my own, but I crave the things every once in a while.

That's a pretty cool idea. I never thought about making my own, but I crave the things every once in a while.
I ended up making a total of 142 half pint. . . making the Hot $ Spicy, BBQ, Plain and Smokey. I add 1/4 cup hot sauce or BBQ sauce ir about 1/2 t liquid smoke to each jar. Add in 6 half hotdogs in a flower shape and process for 90 minutes in a pressure cooker. They make for a filling snack when we are put working and cant make it back to the house for lunch. . . just grab a jar before we leave out.

My Granpappy had an old old old family still in his barn. All copper, been patched a few times due to " Revenoors". He gave up " Shining" in the 70's. I bet that thing is still in that old shed. Hmmm, think I need to call my Aunt.
May come in handy with those Agave plants . . . ;)

I ended up making a total of 142 half pint. . . making the Hot $ Spicy, BBQ, Plain and Smokey. I add 1/4 cup hot sauce or BBQ sauce ir about 1/2 t liquid smoke to each jar. Add in 6 half hotdogs in a flower shape and process for 90 minutes in a pressure cooker. They make for a filling snack when we are put working and cant make it back to the house for lunch. . . just grab a jar before we leave out.
Ouch, 90 minutes! I have only done carrots and beans so far in the pressure canner for 20 minutes for pints. Is that a normal time for meats? I got a ball canning guide book but haven't gotten to anything very advanced yet. I'm still playing with how cold pack vs hot pack turns out. I am eager to get my new canner, it should arrive today or tomorrow from amazon. I'm just starting to see tomatoes starting to turn color!!! My main goal this season is to at least have enough beans and tomatoes canned to last for the whole year. Have you ever canned any squash or zuccini? It seems like it would just turn to mush. I'd appreciate any ideas of yours that preserve well.

Yeah 90 minutes for meats are the norm. . . . I do can up my yellow squash and zucchini. I just scrape out the seeds (the part that will turn it to mush) and feed to the pigs or if you have a compost pile just throw them on that, but be warned, you may have some plants popping up. Then I dice up and put into pint jars to process in the pressure cooker for 25 minutes. These I use in soups, casseroles, and breads. I have also made different varieties of pickles and relishes. . . . and if your brave enough to try it. . . make a Zucchini Pie . . taste like apple and then there is always cake and breads

Yeah 90 minutes for meats are the norm. . . . I do can up my yellow squash and zucchini. I just scrape out the seeds (the part that will turn it to mush) and feed to the pigs or if you have a compost pile just throw them on that, but be warned, you may have some plants popping up. Then I dice up and put into pint jars to process in the pressure cooker for 25 minutes. These I use in soups, casseroles, and breads. I have also made different varieties of pickles and relishes. . . . and if your brave enough to try it. . . make a Zucchini Pie . . taste like apple and then there is always cake and breads
Thanks, I'll try a few jars, and I really appreciate the tip on the seeds. The zucchini pickles I made last year were really good, but I still have about thirty jars of pickles!

On this thread for a while ...............Brent = motivation....................... I'm off my ass , better get off yours .

You could fly me over, plus pay for the excess baggage, allow for maybe 300kgs. :)

Nah I'm just the owner of blacksmithing tools so far with almost no experience, maybe next year. What sort of thing(s) do you need making?

well I'm planning to fortify my door and for that I would need some latches that could be set on quickly and 2 things that I don't even know what thir called in finnish,but you can lock the door in place by useing a two by four, you know the thing they used in castles to lock the gate
it has the shape of well the best I can describe it like the rune S where you bolt the lower part of that S to the wall and jam a two by four to the upper end thus preventing entry

Last edited:
Ouch, 90 minutes! I have only done carrots and beans so far in the pressure canner for 20 minutes for pints. Is that a normal time for meats? I got a ball canning guide book but haven't gotten to anything very advanced yet. I'm still playing with how cold pack vs hot pack turns out. I am eager to get my new canner, it should arrive today or tomorrow from amazon. I'm just starting to see tomatoes starting to turn color!!! My main goal this season is to at least have enough beans and tomatoes canned to last for the whole year. Have you ever canned any squash or zuccini? It seems like it would just turn to mush. I'd appreciate any ideas of yours that preserve well.
Hey, another thing I forgot about last night until I was going thru my canning recipes today. . .

Mock Pineapple

8 quarts zucchini, peeled, seeded and grated
1 1/2 cups bottled lemon juice
46 oz. can unsweetened pineapple juice
3 cups sugar or 1 1/2 cups clover honey

Combine all ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Fill hot pint jars with hot mixture, dividing liquids and solids evenly leaving a 1/2inch head space. Process in a boiling water bath - 20 minutes for pints, 25 minutes for quarts. Use exactly as you would crushed pineapple in any recipe. Makes 3-4 quarts or 6-8 pints.

Today I ended up canning 4 quarts of goats milk (just to have on standby for needed critters), had 3 lbs of Velveeta that I made into Cheese Whiz since it was getting close to date and ended up canning a little over 9 pints, 11 pints of yellow squash and then diced up tomatoes and I am now on my last batch. . . will end up with 14 pints of those (my canner will only handle 8 at a time since I used my pressure canner for a water bath since it was already warmed up.) Yeah, today is a leftover night. . . thank goodness!

2 things that I don't even know what thir called in finnish,but you can lock the door in place by useing a two by four, you know the thing they used in castles to lock the gate
Yes I know what you mean, I think they are called a draw bar, well the wood part is anyway.

There are two basic shapes, for lack of a drawing you could say one is a Z and the other a U. The Z ones allow the bar to be dropped in vertically but if there's room to slide it in from the side the U-shaped ones would be stronger.

If you get some flat bar, say 3x50mm for a U-shape and 5x50 for Z shaped. All you need is a good heat source, say a propane torch, put the bar in a vice, heat till red and bend, it will bend easy. You will get a radius though which essentially changes the length of the sections and will affect where you need to clamp the bar to allow for that, unless you use a hammer to square off the bend.

Then of course these brackets have to be mounted to the door frame properly and that means looking at the actual frame itself.

Another way to do it may be to use some RHS (box section) with an internal dimension = to the bar, cut to length (say 100mm), drill clearance holes for bolts or screws on one side and directly opposite clearance holes for either a socket or a screw driver according to the fasteners you are using. Fasten the RHS sections to each side of the frame, now we have two short "tubes" on opposite sides of the door. Shape one end of the bar (say the right side) so you can put it through the right bracket at a slight angle far enough to then take it back through the left bracket. The right side will be a bit loose so jam a wedge into it, maybe wedge both side anyway. This technique gives you the strength of a U bracket and only needs average hand tools that most people have.

Having done all that you have to do similar on the windows. :)

Today I ended up canning 4 quarts of goats milk (just to have on standby for needed critters), had 3 lbs of Velveeta that I made into Cheese Whiz since it was getting close to date and ended up canning a little over 9 pints, 11 pints of yellow squash and then diced up tomatoes and I am now on my last batch. . . will end up with 14 pints of those (my canner will only handle 8 at a time since I used my pressure canner for a water bath since it was already warmed up.) Yeah, today is a leftover night. . . thank goodness!
I snapped a pile of beans last night, but didn't get to can as it got too late. This afternoon I'll do then in pints and will try some squash and zuke chunks for the first time. I want to try canning some soup soon, but still haven't gotten my new larger canner yet.

I am finally starting to get organized in my new/old home. I own this place, just haven't lived in it for 2 years. Anyway, I spent today organizing, throwing out unnecessary stuff, boxing sellable items and putting all of my prep stuff in a way that will make it easy to grab it quick and go.
The upgrade of Tropical Storm Warning to Hurricane Warning this afternoon encouraged me to get busy. I doubt we will have to evacuate but it's only the beginning of the season here.
In the bathroom, my grooming kit actually sits on the counter, just a small man's shave kit, but it has a 3 day supply of shampoo, soap, deodorant, all that grooming stuff, plus a lighter, 3 tea light candles (with a soda can these are light, heat and small stove), scissors, small multi-tool, etc. - actually, I can't believe how much stuff I got in that tiny bag and I still have a little room for more.
Then I began organizing my first aid items on one of the cabinet shelves with a drawstring bag tucked in there too. If I have to go in a hurry, I just sweep it into the bag and go.
Next was my medications. It sounds like I take a lot of them but that really isn't the case. I happen to have a lot of them because I had a very kind doctor who gave me a 6 month prescription for everything prior to me losing my health insurance. It is mostly a variety of inhalers, some that I am supposed to use every day, some that are for emergencies and some that are for if I get bronchitis/pneumonia. The boxes were bulky to the point that they took up an entire drawer all by themselves. Each inhaler is in a foil packet with a label so I tossed the boxes and reduced all my meds to one small nightstand drawer. I also have antibiotics and other meds that I kept on hand for the dogs. I sorted through them and disposed of anything outdated or that couldn't be used on humans. So now all of these things can also be tossed into the drawstring bag beside them in the drawer for quick departure.
Then I went through the junk dresser. It is mostly filled with office supplies, extension cords, cell phone cords and my son's mess of computer parts. It is now completely organized and in the doing, I came across lighters, multi-tools, pocket knives, more tea light candles, even compact rain ponchos still in the original packaging. And a lot of unused batteries. All of those items went into the second nightstand drawer with yet another drawstring bag.
Tomorrow, I tackle my closet and dresser and put together my backpack.
That should cover everything I need to take with me except my food preps which are mostly in 5 gallon buckets already.
And my animals - I have their crates all set up out by the truck already so it will be just load and go.
I will keep my truck's gas tank full throughout the entire hurricane season but I've always been conscientious about filling it every time it gets close to half anyway.
We've ridden out many hurricane 1s here, so I am not really worried. It's the 3s and 4s that will send me out of town.
In case we do lose power/communications here, you can keep track of me/my area by knowing that I live right outside the front gate of Camp Lejeune.

ordered my first box of mountain house freeze dried food with another fellow local prepper. It will arrive in 2-3 weeks time.

Its the one person 72-hour kit. Bought to test before committing a few hundred bucks to a few buckets of the stuff.

working towards getting my own vacuum sealer and baking my own pilot bread.

ordered my first box of mountain house freeze dried food with another fellow local prepper. It will arrive in 2-3 weeks time.

Its the one person 72-hour kit. Bought to test before committing a few hundred bucks to a few buckets of the stuff.

working towards getting my own vacuum sealer and baking my own pilot bread.
I bought a 72 hr MRE kit, but havent tried any of the mtn hse yet. I did see it in wallmart in the sporting goods section. I think it was about 6 bucks a pkg.. Ill try one before long but any good amount of the stuff is out of my budget! I put the mre's in my car kit, but should try one out too. I LOVE my vacuum kit!!! I make big pots of stuff and then portion out bags and freeze them for lunches at work. I also freeze the rabbits, chickens, and any large meats I buy after cutting them in smaller sizes. The rolls of bags are pricey, but its the best way to preserve stuff. I'm getting better at canning stuff, but you can't beat how easy the freezer bags are.

LW..do you have a way of checking the unused batteries? i bought one at least 3-4 weeks ago..now i know which ones needs charging.and which ones don't need charging..i must admit that your doing alot of good there

Latest posts

Back