Tropical Storm Helene forms, forecast to hit Florida as major hurricane

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad part about the mtns, the only flat place to built usually has a river or creek flowing through it. This flood took out valleys for miles and miles.

I've always been grateful I live on a ridge between 2 river valleys. 400ft above the flood plains. My basement leaks with heavy rains but I don't have to worry I'll drown in my sleep. Tornado took out our farm in '74 so I know what it's like to lose everything. Someone you don't know showing up in person to help you or your family means more than money. Knowing you're not alone in a very real way.

Feel bad for these folks. Wish there was a way to help in person but know I can't.

Just feeling sad, @Peanut but glad your house is on a ridge.
@havasu if that was for real I'd be surprised if he didn't lose his job.
@Bacpacker this has been a horrible devastating disaster for millions. Job loss, all belongings, I'd think a bit of PTSD comes in on this kind of stuff.
Edit to add: @havasu that was funny.

Last edited:
Just feeling sad, @Peanut but glad your house is on a ridge.
@havasu if that was for real I'd be surprised if he didn't lose his job.
@Bacpacker this has been a horrible devastating disaster for millions. Job loss, all belongings, I'd think a bit of PTSD comes in on this kind of stuff.
Edit to add: @havasu that was funny.
It will take years for some of the areas to come back. Some likely never will. Just the infrastructure damage to roads and bridges will take years to repair or replace.
A lot of the towns were built long ago near rivers, as that was the primary way goods were brought to town.

A lot of the towns were built long ago near rivers, as that was the primary way goods were brought to town.
It appears to me, as a layman, that the damming of some of these rivers was to blame for some of the flooding as the dams were compromised and failed.

Man can just not leave well enough alone when it comes to altering nature.

the atmosphere is just so saturated with water now its unreal.....its creating this huge cloud cover over the region....panama jungle....its crazy. i seen it rain over 80 inches in a year but nothing quite like this right now for heaviness....scuba gear to breath ...close to it anyhow.

It appears to me, as a layman, that the damming of some of these rivers was to blame for some of the flooding as the dams were compromised and failed.

Man can just not leave well enough alone when it comes to altering nature.
Several of these smaller dams were built primarily for flood control. The large TVA dams were for flood control and navigation. Up until the 1930 flooding was a regular thing. Many areas got damage year after year. But population was much lower. The dams have worked well. But this storm dumped more than in a short period than any storm since the 1700s. They weren't designed for those levels

Please help these fellow Americans who are stranded without water and food. Many need medical assistance. Samaritan’s Purse is there in numerous places giving medical care and lifesaving food and water.

https://Twitter.com/SkylarGwynn/status/1840964596279951537
Yeah, I'm watching recovery work in NC on FOX now.
Crews from 'The Cajun Navy' on the scene all over the place.
(Wonder where those guys are from? 🤣 :p)

Guess who is '404-Not Found'?.... FEMA. :mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back