Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned on my tv news this morning to be greeted with an American weather report! Images of the Great Lakes, snow in Philly, down south and finally a warning for those in North Florida for cold.
For us, rain and an orange wind warning. No more frost this week. It is currently 9c so about 48f, incredibly mild for January, and considering it was -5 two days ago.

Florida had some cold weather a couple days ago, too....
1705764496611.png

We warmed up. Supposed to get to 32° today with freezing rain.
I hate freezing rain more than anything else.
I talked to my friends on Wednesday and they have been stuck at home for a week because of freezing rain.
They live in the Corvallis, OR area and their driveway is a pretty steep climb.
It's so slick they can't walk from the house to the shop without spreading ash from their wood stove.

1705841578643.png

Storm Isha - Windy and wet here, but we shouldn't get the worst of it. Then another one to hit Tuesday, so tommorrow will be spent restocking the forge with wood & turf, as it's closer to the house from the fuel store. I just grab a bag when I'm out at the garage.

Another magic month for us!
Power bill last month: $154 , this month: $146:oops:.
I'm stashing the money because I know I'm gonna need it next year:(.
C'mon Global Warming! Don't let me down!:D:dancing:
Well the party is over :(.
It has been damcold this January.
The central heating unit is fantastic, bumping it up from 3-ton to 3.5 tons when we replaced it was the best thing I ever did:thumbs:.
It doesn't run very long but does a fantastic job while pulling megawatts.
This whole month it has been running often.:oops:
Next month the power company will be coming to 'get even':waiting:.
Yes they luv me very much:huggs:because I do not pinch pennies when it comes to staying warm.😀

Last edited:
It is about - 9 C , got to about - 2 this afternoon, but is was cloudy so it felt pretty cool. the good news is 1/3 less firewood ,

I was just thinkin' you should be getting good and snowed in and with no other options might pop in and say howdy :)

I think we are supposed to have a low of 4 tonight and a high of 3 tomorrow - yep you read that right. 🌊🌴🐚🏝️
I promise I didn't send you my good old Missouri weather.
I thought about sending some to Arizona, but haven't yet.

We had the wildest night - and not the partying kind! 🤣

My bedroom is upstairs, and I thought at one point the window was coming in, though when I went downstairs you could barely hear it.
On the good side, we didn't lose power, and I've no trees down. I really don't know how. The last time I remember such a storm was twenty years ago. The only damage is to a trellis. I took the boys to work / bus with no difficulty at 7.15, there were only a few bits of branches and someones fence on the road. Why people left their wheelie bins on the roadside of their wall I'm not sure - it's not bin night. We have gotten off so lightly, other than I've no phone and a dodgy internet signal.
It's still blustery and a lot colder, but I have a wash on the line, so silver lining!
Great footage of planes trying to land in Heathrow in the UK- it's the first time I remember a storm hitting the total of both countries in one go.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0122/1427847-storm-isha/

We got the worst last night. Temps are below freezing and the streets look like a glazed doughnut. Talking heads are saying don't go out if you don't have to. Roads are all ice. I guess grocery shopping will wait another day.

Latest posts

Back