What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making the most out of leftovers, this mornings crispy fried potato cakes.

pocakes.jpg

I'm so jealous! We never get good seafood here!

We just ordered seafood from a mail order place. It came in vacuum sealed packed dry ice in a very strong, well insulated cute little cooler. It was still frozen solid. We just had leftover baked salmon from yesterday. DELICIOUS! It is expensive but we only eat fish a couple times a week. It is wild caught and from cold waters off Iceland, Alaska and Outer Banks.
We will deffinately order from them again. It is about $6 a serving.But that includes ALL shipping, and handling.

Sizzlefish.com

Last edited:
I made steaks, mashed potatoes, gravy and a nice garden salad. I don't eat the taters and gravy but the salad was delish with two kinds of lettuce, tomatoes, celery, onions, carrots and mildly pickled cukes. I topped the salad with medium cheddar strings. No need for dressing when the salad has that much flavor.

Made an old favorite which my grandmother used to make but Campbells took one of the ingredients away and ever since I've been playing with ingredients to try to reproduce the original taste. I consider tonights version a great success. :lil guy:

So what was the recipe?
A mix of Pepper Pot Soup, chicken Gumbo and evaporated milk. The pepper pot soup is not made anymore but I was able to use Maryland Crab soup till they stopped making it too. It's like the company is out to get me. :-(

Tonight I am making NY Strips in the large cast iron skillet with butter, garlic and thyme. I am also sauteing a mixture or asparagus, radishes, bacon, mushrooms and onions in garlic infused olive oil.

You are talking my lingo!

My wife got a large box of steaks from some place called Omaha Steaks as a work-related Christmas gift. We decided tonight was the night to give them a shot. They are not very big, maybe 6oz, but there are a lot of them.
exquisitechef.gif

It is my Birthday today and I decided that I wanted to savor a lot of new flavors, so we went to a VERY well rated middle eastern buffet.

It was a friendly little place with very good service, and a lot of customers in traditional dress. I enjoyed every bite, but I really do like American food better. There was hummus, and freshly made pita bread, and different kinds of meat Kebabs, and 3 kinds of rice, 2 kinds of curry, etc. It was fun but I like American food better, with one exception.

The "Persian ice cream" was made on the site, and it was fragrant with rose water and had cardamom and pistacios and I forget what else. It was excellent.

I have been far too limited handling milk products: instead of the usual heavy flavors like caramel and chocolate I should explore the aromatics like spices and rose water: it is truly good

I was full when I came home but I did not feel satisfied so I ate some spice cake with dried fruit I made earlier. That did the trick: THEN I felt fully satisfied!

It is my Birthday today and I decided that I wanted to savor a lot of new flavors, so we went to a VERY well rated middle eastern buffet.

It was a friendly little place with very good service, and a lot of customers in traditional dress. I enjoyed every bite, but I really do like American food better. There was hummus, and freshly made pita bread, and different kinds of meat Kebabs, and 3 kinds of rice, 2 kinds of curry, etc. It was fun but I like American food better, with one exception.

The "Persian ice cream" was made on the site, and it was fragrant with rose water and had cardamom and pistacios and I forget what else. It was excellent.

I have been far too limited handling milk products: instead of the usual heavy flavors like caramel and chocolate I should explore the aromatics like spices and rose water: it is truly good

I was full when I came home but I did not feel satisfied so I ate some spice cake with dried fruit I made earlier. That did the trick: THEN I felt fully satisfied!

Happy Birthday, Terri!!! Sounds lke an interesting Birthday meal!

Happy Birthday, Terri!
We celebrated our son's birthday tonight with a family dinner. There were alot of us. We had barbeque Tri Tip, mac cheese, broccoli, cheese rice, french bread, fruit plate, and a greek salad. For dessert we had cheesecake and Italian cream cake.
I'm stuffed and the house is a mess. I'll deal with it tomorrow

Latest posts

Back