What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping you might get your own washer and dryer with it! Having used laundry mat's in the past, I so appreciate having my own at home.
There's no space for one unless the landlady does some remodeling in the bathroom, or she makes a space in the insurance office below me. In that case, the office would have access to it as well...

To much excitement today I guess. I feel like I ran a marathon and then some. Struggling to stay awake.
Guess bone broth will have to get separated and in the freezer tomorrow. Tallow is cooking right along so that should be good till tomorrow also.
Went to town today and filled up a couple diesel cans I had empty from mowing. Ouch to say the least.
Also dropped off a payment for the stock trailer/“uhaul”. Should have the plans any day to sign for the actual build. 2 more payments and she’s all ours! Muahahaha! Watch out roads! 🤪

Drove the cows 56 miles to meet the vet. Got the calves branded, heifer got her Bangs vacc and the cow was preg checked. No calf, shes just fat! Came home and cleaned the barn, started laundry and now I'm sitting here. Should be in bed because hubby has Dr apts tomorrow and I'm going to Tractor Supply to pick up a few things, if they have them. That means another 80 miles one way... :rolleyes:

I was hoping you might get your own washer and dryer with it! Having used laundry mat's in the past, I so appreciate having my own at home.
For whatever reason you reminded me of my home made washing machine. it was a ten gallon pool chlorine bucket with a screw on lid with a hole bored into it for a toilet plunger. as goofy as it looked, it worked, even if "churning" each load fifteen minutes was a pain.

Today is a full schedule from 08:30 till about 17:30 lots of overlapping things. It's St. Patrick's Day so I will wear green plaid, I have already set out the big pot with the cabbage and carrots. It's 48F outside and raining so I went out and opened up all my raised bed tops to let the moisture reach my plants, plus the rain will wash any DE off the leaves. The way the plants are growing we will have to blanch and freeze spinach again this weekend. We have been eating salads out of the garden 3 day a week for the past 2 weeks, it's hard to believe it's still March...

Got our taxes mailed off yesterday. Done for another year. Each year I get fined for not filing quarterly, and each year I refuse pay taxes every quarter. *** the Feds.
Got up early, as usual, and took Jake out for a walk. Right now the mutt is sleeping in his bed in front of the wood stove.
We're going to leave early in the morning to go pick up our new German shorthaired pointer.
Our snow is melting off quickly now. Our driveway is washing out in many areas and one of the creeks is over the road. We have one area where a spring comes up and floods the road every winter and freezes. The ice is finally starting to breakup.
In about two more weeks I'll be able to start repairs on the fence. I start out on the south and west facing slopes and follow the snow line up to the higher elevations of the property.

@Mountain trapper - I hate paying quarterly taxes. I'm always grumbling to the mailbox and back. I got my taxes done and sent out early this year. Really early. January 24th? And already had my federal refund by February 2nd!! That's the earliest I think I ever got it.

@Weedygarden growing blue corn is odd? Lol. We grow it all the time. Sometimes red corn as well.

High of 66 today!!! Woooooooooo I'll be outside all day. Need to start with the yard work.

[USER=29]@Weedygarden
growing blue corn is odd? Lol. We grow it all the time. Sometimes red corn as well.
It is odd for South Dakotans to grow blue corn. My uncle was a man of many means. He had a seed and feed business on the side, so I'm sure that was part of what got him interested in growing odd grains.

Took my daughter to airport at 4;30 a.m. I have one more fence estimate today.
Sounds like you are doing your homework - at least that part will aid in the decision making.
I get to pick up Azure order at new location today. Also having UV system serviced and H2O filters all changed so water should be good for a while. It's a frosty morning but looks like it will be a gorgeous day.
As my friend Ben would say~ behave 😊

@Weedygarden My dad plants blue corn because when the Indians were here they lived off of Corn, Beans and Squash so he always felt it was important to always grow the Three Sisters along with whatever else we wanted to plant. The Indian Blue Corn was used as flour so we grind it into flour / cornmeal. But we also use it as chicken feed too. Dual purpose.

My dad said that his father would grow buckwheat and when it got about half-grown would plow it under. It adds a lot of beneficial humus to the soil.

@Weedygarden My dad plants blue corn because when the Indians were here they lived off of Corn, Beans and Squash so he always felt it was important to always grow the Three Sisters along with whatever else we wanted to plant. The Indian Blue Corn was used as flour so we grind it into flour / cornmeal. But we also use it as chicken feed too. Dual purpose.

My dad said that his father would grow buckwheat and when it got about half-grown would plow it under. It adds a lot of beneficial humus to the soil.
Blue corn used to not be easy to find. It isn't real common to find either. The link that I shared recently for Golden Organics with Magus has blue corn. I purchased some back a few years, borrowed the canner that you could borrow one back then from the LDS Bishops store house and canned it up in #10 cans. I wish I had 100's of pounds of it canned up along with some buckwheat groats, due to it being gluten free.

There are places in New Mexico where you can get blue corn tortillas. Doc Martins in Taos served them when I ate there.

I've been busy watching puppies, cleaning up, grocery shopping, etc. Had a few days of needing to sleep a lot and have more energy today. I was going to cut some weeds but my hedge trimmer needs to charge for 16 hours according to instructions. Got it charging next to the coffee machine. My brother said he wants to get milk at samsclub. Mom wants me to get ice cream from Walmart. She forgot that its Lent and I'm not reminding her. LOL.
I need to get my brother to help me get more trash out. I already had to clean off the porch from him dumping trash on it. Still need to get rid of stuff we will never use from the porch.

Puppies are currently climbing on my bed after running around outside. I still haven't had breakfast yet (I tend to eat later in the day since I'm not a morning person).

Princess and Fippy are still mad about puppies being here. I got some pics and need to sort through which ones to post on a rescue site.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

I pruned fruit trees in the orchard today. May be a little late for one of the pears but ok for the rest.

20220317_150450_HDR.jpg

There is one old pear tree that is 35 feet tall. To talk to harvest. I have been training it to develop lower branches and girdling it above about 8'. The tree was not happy with me and the fruiting spurs ate me up. My hands look like I broke up a dog fight.

Since I was out and about I checked the other water sources.

This stream slows down in August but supplies enough water for a small ram pump. The white PEX pipe is the the old drive pipe.

20220317_151239_HDR.jpg

The collection dam is up hill.

20220317_151246_HDR.jpg

The developed springs are running fine.

20220317_151353_HDR.jpg

The upper pond is a future project.

20220317_151431_HDR.jpg

Wonderful day surrounded by the works of God's hand.

Counting my blessings.

Ben

Yesterday morning, I walked and then made biscuits for Church dinner to go with the pasta salads made the day before. Did senior Church gig. Went back and helped make baked beans and slaw for today's fundraiser. Went back again for prayer meeting.
No walk today.
Went to hardware store for tomato and jalapeno plants.
Cut up veggies, chicken and chicken livers for dog food and cooked burger.
Called and made appt. with tax lady.
Went to City Hall- again. Mayor supposed to call - hasn't happened yet. I am keeping written record since we haven't even been able to speak to her.Going to walk garden area in a few minutes and plan--getting tilled this weekend.
Will make dog food to cook overnight later this evening.
Whew!

Had lunch after working on the utility room.
Then listen to my HS boys whoop the Elizabethtown boys, 82 to 65.

On to the elite 8.

Smallest HS , only 250 students total in our HS , all others are big city schools 800 to 1500 HS students .

These boys are awesome

Funny everybody is pulling for our guys.

6 o'clock UK wildcats play,
At 8:30 the Murray state Racers play , if both win tonight. They play each other , first time in history.

Fun times.

Jim

Didn't get any seeds started, but the weather is no good, too windy. Too bad, because rain is coming tonight. Did go to the dentist, that is always brutal. Scheduled for a couple of small fillings in July. Poor little granddaughter had to wait for us at the dentist for a long time, so we stopped at Freddies for a sundae afterwards. Went to Tractor while we were in town. Needed some more turkey/guinea feed, and some cups the rabbits won't dump. They had fruit trees. Bought two peach and two pear, and stuck them in the greenhouse for now. The bad dog was on our property again, after the birds. Not sure if there's any down this time, but she's up to 15 dead at last count. She is locked up in a cage in our garage. Don't care how long she sits in there. Don't care about that dog at all.

We got blue corn seed from Territorial Seed Co., they have a business just south of Eugene, Oregon, they sell seed that does best in the region just west of the Cascade Mountains. Actually the seed was called Indian Blue Corn. A number of years back we bought a seed oil extracting machine from Territorial, we haven't used it yet and it was not listed in this years catalog. Back in the early 1990's's we grew Siberian Kale that we bought from Territorial Seed, it was amazing, leaves grew to around two feet long and of the 200 plants we only lost about three to minus 5 degree weather. The only issue I had with the kale was that they had a high amount of Oxalic Acid which made the high calcium content of the kale unavailable, much the same problem that spinach has, otherwise, per purportion, there is more calcium in kale than in milk.

Had lunch after working on the utility room.
Then listen to my HS boys whoop the Elizabethtown boys, 82 to 65.

On to the elite 8.

Smallest HS , only 250 students total in our HS , all others are big city schools 800 to 1500 HS students .

These boys are awesome

Funny everybody is pulling for our guys.

6 o'clock UK wildcats play,
At 8:30 the Murray state Racers play , if both win tonight. They play each other , first time in history.

Fun times.

Jim
Check out 1976 Edmonson County High wins KY state championship. It was like the movie Hoosiers. Most don't realize that KY doesn't have classes in BBall. It's all or nothing and we did it. The Courier Journal had lots of stories covering it,

@phideaux Did ya have ribs for me?

Staying fairly busy today. Got tallow separated from the bone broth. Bone broth is in the freezer till I get the freeze drier situation worked out. Tallow is in the little crockpot melting down so I can package it. This will be for soap. Have plenty jarred in the freezer for cooking.
Suet (thanks @ClemKadiddlehopper) is still slowly rendering in the roaster. Looking forward to trying this for cooking/frying. If we like it better it will be something we will be sure to do with every butcher. Our regular tallow we use will be for soap and as a backup.
Nice outside today. Greenhouse is opened up. Mint plants are starting to come back after being neglected in the barn all "winter". Still no seeds popping their heads out yet. No matter how many times I look. 😆

I want to take a minute to thank all who have offered so much help and support through our financing/Move "drama". All the advice has come in so handy. We are now working with a mortgage company and have found the previous experience was because of circumstances not in our control at all. Had nothing to do with us. Taking it as a learning lesson. Stinks it hit our credit but all in all a learning lesson and makes us appreciate our new experience so much more.

Just finished my daily browse of properties. Prices are still changing. Still a lot asking higher prices than the places are "worth". If they get the prices they are asking I'm happy for them. Some listings we've had interest in are dropping their prices after being listed pretty high for a year or more. Our realtor sent us a place yesterday that was WOW. With some paint (Its darker blue outside) it was VERY nice. Dare I say to nice inside? Its funny how I always drooled over super fancy nice places yet I'm not seeing them as our happy place. Maybe because they are country sheik ( I think thats what its called?) which to me isn't "country"? While the price on the place wasn't abnormal for this current time it's hard to pay $100,000 more than before the spike from Covid/mass exodus. I'm hopeful there's a "right" place for us out there.

I didn't know that about Siberian Kale. Was supposed to be planting some today, but didn't get to it. Am planning on using alot of it for animal feed.
It would probably be great for animal feed as it grows profusely, the only other problem I had with it was that the deer really liked it and I had to top each row with an electric fence wire and even then the deer would get around the wires and chomp on a bit of kale.

Latest posts

Back