What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife is pushing me to go to "Off the Hoof" local meat shop , to stock up on meat.
$10/lb is high.
But $50/lb is higher.
We paid $14.99 for an 8oz sirloin steak for lunch yesterday.
That scared her. She's afraid of seeing $50 hamburgers. (Totally possible)
We have room in the freezer.

Soooo looks like we go buy meat.

Hope she buys me lunch while we're out.
Maybe even a chocolate milkshake.

Jim

A7051D4C-6239-44FB-9F22-FF380911F60D.jpeg
good mornin all 👋🏼
Last of the green should be gone by morning. Shouldn’t have to mow again this year.
Have a great day!

Well I finished the solar array frame, but it's 45F we have high winds out of the north, and rain is threatening. I drained the rain barrels, disconnected the collection system and gave up on working outside. It may be next weekend before I get the panels back on the array.....

So now I will stitch to working indoors...

Meet Bessie, meet Bessie butter made from Bessie raw milk... Ummm! I now have a source for all the raw milk, butter and even yogurt if I want. Best part, it's a neighbor, I could walk there if I wished...

Did I mention we killed and processed 4 whole hogs this morning? They actually killed the hogs yesterday and hung them in the walk-in cooler over night. I helped process them this morning. I went over to give a friend some monarda tincture for her headaches, didn't know I'd be making sausage... I brought some sausage and chops home.

Besse butter  2a .JPG
Besse butter  3a .JPG
Hog killin 2 26mar22  14a .JPG
Hog killin 3 26mar22  14a .JPG

Here's a cheaper price on the tool from a different Amazon link:

www.amazon.com/dp/B08VWCSG7G/ref=twister_B09TCGBK5Z?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

And you can buy it for even cheaper at this same link if you don't need the accessories - the three-pring to two-prong adapter, the light bulb adapter, and the bare wires adapter.

I had two flush mount ceiling LED fixtures left over from the living room new ceiling lights project. Basement stairwell/hallway perfect spot to use them. Remove the two old ceiling fixtures and tuck the wiring into the electrical boxes. Use 1/2” plywood jig with a 6” hole. Center the 6” hole over the electrical box, screw plywood jig to unfinished ceiling. Remove the drill bit from the 6” hole saw. Ran the drill in reverse and the 6” hole in the jig kept the hole saw from wondering. Drilled gently until I could feel I was though the drywall. Unscrew jig from the ceiling. Use screwdriver to bust out existing electrical boxes. Wire the new LED fixtures. Test before snapping them into their 6” holes. One of those rare jobs that took longer to get the tools out and then put them away then what the project took.

Hey all, my first day home in quite a bit. Long work stretch and then I have been completely encompassed with the crap that is going on right now ---namely my daughter being sexually assaulted at a high school party and it being filmed. The kid filming it has a full ride sports scholarship to a state D1 school....
Needless to say the backlash is going to be huge for these kids, but my daughter's grades are suffering, she is not sleeping and has almost become a shell of herself. Thankfully she has a good therapist, but please say a prayer for her, and our family, and that I don't do something where I wind up in jail. Thanks for your messages, I've missed you guys too, will be back soon I hope.

Hey all, my first day home in quite a bit. Long work stretch and then I have been completely encompassed with the crap that is going on right now ---namely my daughter being sexually assaulted at a high school party and it being filmed. The kid filming it has a full ride sports scholarship to a state D1 school....
Needless to say the backlash is going to be huge for these kids, but my daughter's grades are suffering, she is not sleeping and has almost become a shell of herself. Thankfully she has a good therapist, but please say a prayer for her, and our family, and that I don't do something where I wind up in jail. Thanks for your messages, I've missed you guys too, will be back soon I hope.
I have no words. I had a young victim come in with similar story. Had a solid case but mom took her children to town it occurred in and egged them to fight family of accused. Hard to prosecute but understandable. Parents nightmare. So sorry for all involved, meaning your family.

I think Alexandra’s chicken house is ready for action! We have had a fantastic time together building it. Burn the leftovers and clean up and we are done. 😁View attachment 83215View attachment 83216View attachment 83217View attachment 83218View attachment 83219View attachment 83220
Curious about nesting boxes being near window. My birds prefer dark area to lay and have always had nesting boxes against solid wall. Not saying won’t work and I love your little coop. Just asking….

So many thoughts going through my mind now, the words don't know how to come out.

So much love and support for your daughter, you, and your family. In my mind I am holding her next to my heart, and crying with her.

Gave the does a break from their active kits today. I put them in the playpen together and they played and napped for a while before I put them back in with their moms.

thumbnail_Image-29.jpg

thumbnail_Image-36.jpg

I also posted ads stating bunnies for sale. I figure they are still young but I can get the word out there now.

This has to be one of a parent's worst nightmares. Hopefully the therapist will help her get through this without much damage to her life. Young man has damaged his own life. No winners in this. Prayers for you and your family.

Give them HELL (safely) and keep us updated.

Got the roofing on the new brooder building just now. The pallet of shingles just popped of the snow yesterday. I'll roof the wood shed next. The area where I'm going to build the new chicken barn is mostly clear of snow now, enough so I can lay it and the game bird pen out. When the ground drys out a little more I can get the tractor up there and clear the area and start digging holes. The wife moved her bee hives out of the bee house today to get them ready to set out. I'll have to build a bear proof fence around the hives.
But the most important thing I did today was to pull the BBQ out of the snow bank where the ice falling off the roof buried it last month. It still works.

Well I finished the solar array frame, but it's 45F we have high winds out of the north, and rain is threatening. I drained the rain barrels, disconnected the collection system and gave up on working outside. It may be next weekend before I get the panels back on the array.....

So now I will stitch to working indoors...
Post some pictures, it's always good to see how you've done it. Our array is set at 45 degrees because we're close to the 45th parallel, it's worked out very good for the highest levels of solar output throughout each day and all of the year.

Post some pictures, it's always good to see how you've done it. Our array is set at 45 degrees because we're close to the 45th parallel, it's worked out very good for the highest levels of solar output throughout each day and all of the year.
I think I set ours at about 45 degrees too. It provides almost all of the power we need. On a 12 month average our generator runs about 4.5 hours a day. This summer I'm going to add a few more panels, with an auto tracker, in a sunnier location to help cut the generator run time to less than 2 hour average.

Its pretty dark there with the shutters down.
Shutters are an awesome accessory! Will hold heat somewhat in winter, cool but air flow in summer and added security in storms. I raised chicks once that graduated outside to a big reinforced hog trap. Had a storm, blew trap over and killed most of my chicks. My sister uses buckets for nesting boxes too. They had to tilt with front being slightly higher than back to keep eggs from being knocked out when hen left nest. I think it is a great idea myself. Can wait to see pictures with chickens. Keep us updated!

So sorry and I hope you don't end up in jail...I know I probably would had that happened to my daughter :(
Wow, life is so hard now especially for teenagers . I hate hearing about things like that

Well, our last goat had her 2 kids. We checked on her every hour, and she must have popped them out in less than that . One fine, one not so much. The sickly one just cried and cried and wouldn't nurse. I took him to the house to warm him up but it didn't help. I dont know what's wrong with our goat kids this year. We have been doing this for 6 years now and this is the first one we lost so many kids during or right after birth. The only thing I can figure is that the buck was a Boer and not a Kiko but we have had some part Boers before and they were fine

Oh and we woke up to howling wind and 2 inches of snow. It's almost April , enough already!! We are not living in North Dakota!!

Meet Bessie, meet Bessie butter made from Bessie raw milk... Ummm! I now have a source for all the raw milk, butter and even yogurt if I want. Best part, it's a neighbor, I could walk there if I wished...

Did I mention we killed and processed 4 whole hogs this morning? They actually killed the hogs yesterday and hung them in the walk-in cooler over night. I helped process them this morning. I went over to give a friend some monarda tincture for her headaches, didn't know I'd be making sausage... I brought some sausage and chops home.

We just took some sheep and goats to the meat processor. I need to empty out a freezer...
We have to get ours inspected so we can sell the meat. Do you keep the hogs just for yourself? That's a lot of sausage....we had 2 a few years ago

Spring has sprung here in the piney woods of Texas Zone 8 as has the mad dash to get all of the projects done we’ve spent the winter dreaming about. We built a new, larger chicken coop, buried an old freezer for a bigger worm bin, built a pen for the cows, are in the process of planting the spring garden, clearing trees and brush and putting up fencing for the cows. We go get our first cows ever this Thursday and we are super excited. We will start the herd with two A2A2 Dexters.

Dr J sorry to hear about your Daughter. She and you are in my prayers.

Nice coop HB. That think is slick

I finished up loading the wood in my last constructed bed. Then loaded all the compost I had left. I came up about 1 scoop short. Last load I got I went with 5 scoops instead of 6 because it was wet and heavy. I needed that last scoop.
After I got the trailer unloaded, I filled it back up a couple times with brush I have been cutting and hauled off to a brush pile. After that mowed about 3 acers

Latest posts

Back