What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know y’all are tired of the chicken house posts but we are just having too much fun with this thing. The chickens got boogie lights on their house.

A9D3FB7C-3B8E-4CA3-96FB-B72F84E555C0.jpeg
13644103-C4E6-46D2-B880-176D2A07995F.jpeg
B2D22897-A84A-4BBD-9CCA-1C9AA0687698.png

Hey all, my first day home in quite a bit. Long work stretch and then I have been completely encompassed with the crap that is going on right now ---namely my daughter being sexually assaulted at a high school party and it being filmed. The kid filming it has a full ride sports scholarship to a state D1 school....
Needless to say the backlash is going to be huge for these kids, but my daughter's grades are suffering, she is not sleeping and has almost become a shell of herself. Thankfully she has a good therapist, but please say a prayer for her, and our family, and that I don't do something where I wind up in jail. Thanks for your messages, I've missed you guys too, will be back soon I hope.
I am so sorry to read this. Prayers definitely coming! Remember we’re here anytime you need support. Going to be a long tough road for you all.

Get yourself something like this, and it makes things easier:

www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-Digital-Accessory-Adapters/dp/B08MG1LZJS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Debatable if it's worth the cost if you're only doing one house. But if you don't have a helper to holler back and forth with as they throw the breakers while you run around the place looking to see what turned off, it helps with one-person mapping.

Basically it's a transmitter that plugs into wall outlets, or light bulb sockets with the adapter, and you go to the breaker box with the receiver to identify which breaker controls the circuit you're interested in. I have played with a borrowed one of these in the past, but I do not own one personally. I got my exercise today running up and down the stairs and all over the house identifying which breaker controls what. Took me several hours. But being retired, it's not like I had anything better to do anyway. So I went the cheap route and didn't go buy myself one of these breaker identifiers. They're not required to do a mapping, they just make it quicker and easier.

There are lots of videos demonstrating this tool on YouTube, but most of the presenters are quite long winded and talk forever and ever. I did find one demo video where the guy just shows how it works without too much verbosity. The radio he plugs in is not required - that's just a secondary backup to check things redundantly.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUtn6IdPKh8
Sweet! Thank you very much for the link and the video. That looks awesome. I think it would be worth it to get. But then, I have my dad's interest in tools. LOL. Mom likes blue & white porcelain pottery & elephants and beads and stuff to collect. I collect marbles, random small metal objects (bulletshells, springs, parts from pens, etc), buttons, and tools.
I showed both links to my certified electrician friend and he really likes the kit. It's something he'd probably borrow.

Peanut, Bessie is a pretty cow.

I slept in because I didn't feel great last night and had trouble sleeping. I know others are talking about it being too cold to work outside. It's too hot out here. I was outside maybe 20min and my hands started swelling up. Sometimes they swell up instead of sweating. I ran them under cold water for a bit but the swelling hasn't gone down completely.

Turns out my float lever arm was loose and just needed a screw tightened. Friend came all the way out here to fix it. I feel dumb for not figuring it out myself. He also fixed my rake while he was here. And he got to download 13gb of games onto his laptop in the 20min he was here.

I got up when my friend got here and let puppies out, cleaned up their crap, and hung out with him. Now I'm back at my computer waiting for my back to loosen up enough for me to be able to bend to clean the toilet. I'll have to wait for a cooler day or get out earlier in the morning to do yardwork. Landline phone is still out. AT&T had closed my ticket saying it was fixed.

Wow, I typed my post this afternoon and apparently forget to hit send until a few minutes ago.
DrJenner, I am so very sorry about what happened to your daughter and I hope you will get justice for her. Everyone involved in the assault-- allowing it to happen, filming it, etc all need to go down for it.

Later on this afternoon I'll be pulling the battery out of our Tundra, after just two years it won't hold a charge anymore and it's an Interstate battery, bought it at Costco so we might get a little help in the cost of a new one. All I can say is, if anyone needs tires, a new battery or anything else for their vehicles, better get it done now.

I have been cutting brush this morning, the never ending job. Alex came and got me she has property to show this afternoon, I won't let her go without me or the boy going with her way too many weirdos out there. My plans for the day are shot but a break for the afternoon may be just what I need!
you gotta find a market for the brush, once it knows that it is a commodity ,not a weed, it will grow way slower

Well, the replanting in the growing station is done. The wife reminded me that I need to harvest spinach for putting up. So I went out, it's 37F, wind is blowing out of the North at about 30 mph and I'm picking spinach. There's got to be something wrong with this picture, FYI I did 1 raised bed and came get my hands warm before going back out.

Did some electrical work today. Mapped out which lights/outlets go to which breaker in the panel.
Note to self: Sometimes electricians may wire two different circuits into a single double-gang electrical box. I did not know this. I do now.

I wonder what my neighbor thought when he heard this loud screaming, extended duration, unprintable string of expletives come over the fence as I stomped outside and started glaring at the breaker box. On the plus side, I knew that breaker #25 was the one to turn off for the light switch I was working on, and I have gained additional knowledge that breaker #29 is the one for the other switch in the same electrical box.

I will now go wash my poopy underwear, and come back and finish my electrical work later.

Latest posts

Back