What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIL came out with a stair dolly, we moved an old non functional fridge out of my basement, franken fridge time. will post the project in off grid once we start,
made a little improvement to the pedal saw, vid in off grid, not much but the saw in action.

BIL came out with a stair dolly, we moved an old non functional fridge out of my basement, franken fridge time. will post the project in off grid once we start,
made a little improvement to the pedal saw, vid in off grid, not much but the saw in action.
When I was a kid, my dad made a smoker out of an old fridge. He liked it.

When I was a kid, my dad made a smoker out of an old fridge. He liked it.
this will still be a refrigeration function, just trying some ways to get it way more efficient or at least not grid dependent.

Sunday school, piano for church, picked up his blue bell Dutch chocolate ice cream and came home. Moved all pot plants out of house, took down all heat lamps to storage and coiled all 3 extension cords up and put in storage. Made spaghetti for his supper and fried eggs and toast for mine. Windy in this part of Texas and serious fire danger.

Working on food storage today. Picked up some wheat, rice and spaghetti last week, gonna put it in long-term storage. Then working on some whole chickens I have in the freezer - thawing, cutting up per our use, vacuum-sealing, then cooking the bones and trim for broth and canning that.

I'm feeling really anxious about everything. We are nowhere near where we need to be with our food supply (or anything else). I've been working at it slowly, but going it alone. Now when I talk to hubby, his eyes are more open and he seems to be more on board - but his actions don't show it.

I'm so sorry about what happened to your daughter @DrJenner! I believe you will get her the help to get through this! Praying for you both!

I was out of town Friday and Saturday, so yesterday was catch up day.
Sunday School Church, walk dogs, grill sausage for DH, made a pizza for dinner, set up DH's pills for the month, etc. I put out a new feeder and we have hummingbirds. They are so cool to watch!

Today, am washing laundry and sheets.
Will walk shortly.
Talk to our VA contact this afternoon.
Get out in the garden.
Make some phone calls.
I am doing a liver flush today--do it about once a year. I am attached to my gall bladder. LOL

Taking dog to vet later.
Plenty of chores to catch up on.
Phone calls to make.
Bills to pay.
Back to eye doctor to pick up.
For “me time” I’m going rock hunting. Got to get outside if the smoke isn’t too bad. It seems to bother me worse than other people. I guess it’s because of having a tube down my airway for several days a few years back. ? I don’t know why else it would bug me.

Just finished working out. I’m still so out of shape.
Also might finish reading adult children of emotionally immature parents (has been quite eye opening for me)
We are having container #1 of 2 delivered today. Packing stuff up from hubs shop.
this afternoon my daughter and I are headed to the police station so she can give her statement. Not sure where it will go from there.
Probably will make an easy dinner of burgers and sweet potato fries. It’s been warm here so we’ve brought out the traeger.

Slow weekend for us (a bit of a bug kept us resting - fortunately not the "c" word). Finally have a 100% working master bath again. After installing the new flooring, re-installed the toilet and the PVC flange cracked. I've replaced them in the past and knew that would be an all day (or longer) job with another big hole in the basement ceiling to patch. Found a bolt-over repair kit for $25 that did the job in 15 minutes and is holding water-tight so far. Now I just need to fix the remaining drywall and re-paint & install the trim and then I can move on to some outside jobs in this now-beautiful weather we are having :)

Got the saw figured a little more, maybe post another video on the thread a little later

A third of the shop fluorescent light bulbs need replaced. Another third are too cold to illuminate. Time to upgrade. I can purchase 10’ LED strips cheaper then LED fluorescent conversions. Order scheduled to arrive Thursday. Instead of mounting them on the bottom of the rafters, 90 degrees to the rafters instead. I’ll have to run stringers; 2”x4”x10’ at $13 each, ouch. Thursday is forecast to be a warm day. This will be a good project to get me out of the house instead of organizing the wife’s kitchen. :D

Haertig, does the kit you linked work when power is off or only when it is on?
I sometimes turn off all the breakers or additional breakers nearby just in case I am worried a line might be live.

Cleaned the toilet yesterday, had to carry puppies to put them to bed bc they wouldn't cooperate and hurt my back. Could barely move today. Had to use a riding cart in the store getting groceries. Trash can overflowed/spilled and puppies had fun with the mess spreading it around. Brother wouldn't even think of cleaning it up (even though it wouldn't have happened if he had taken the trash out when it got full). Unless the trash is in that one trash can, he won't touch it. He got mad and was kicking at the puppies, tripped on garbage, twisted his ankle, fell down, and started screaming. Even Mom got off her butt to go check on him. I wrapped his ankle in a sports bandage and gave him an ice pack. Hope it doesn't give him trouble when he has to go to court tomorrow. The courthouse stairs are super steep.

AT&T says they will send a tech out Wednesday to figure out why our lines are still out.

@goshengirl me too on geology! @TeeJ hope your wife is healing up from the foot/leg through the floor/ceiling incident. I guess that’s one for the memory books.
@LadyLocust I hope you are okay
Thanks - she finally is starting to. We're assuming in a couple of years this goes from being a traumatic experience to a funny story :)

A third of the shop fluorescent light bulbs need replaced. Another third are too cold to illuminate. Time to upgrade. I can purchase 10’ LED strips cheaper then LED fluorescent conversions. Order scheduled to arrive Thursday. Instead of mounting them on the bottom of the rafters, 90 degrees to the rafters instead. I’ll have to run stringers; 2”x4”x10’ at $13 each, ouch. Thursday is forecast to be a warm day. This will be a good project to get me out of the house instead of organizing the wife’s kitchen. :D
I had issues with 4' florescent lights in my shop due to not starting in extreme cold. I replaced 5hem (most) with LED fixtures. The most recent batch I purchased were these.

hykolity 4 Pack 4FT Linkable LED Shop Light, Utility Shop Light Fixture, 4400lm, 42W [250W Equivalent], 5000K Daylight White Shop Lights for Garage,hanging or Surface Mount, W/ Power Cord, ETL
Could you avoid the stringers?

Ben

Alex got her chickens today, I’ve never seen her so happy!

B92F008C-3EB3-45FA-9199-A22B5FE13F55.jpeg
EBC1D072-D279-455B-AF0E-231A49B131CF.jpeg
D6DD437A-7883-442C-BA81-F77D0BE136AA.jpeg
D65D37A1-2813-462A-8920-67ABD098715C.jpeg
1DCA71BA-458A-454F-9BA6-6E0F950E337C.jpeg
3BFD8C8E-030F-40A8-A916-E6B66353424B.jpeg

Getting old sucks.
I been working in the utility room most of the day.
I hurt from my hair to my toenails.

Can't wait to be done with that room.

Moved some things into the storm bunker , because really bad storms , possible tornados coming Wednesday.

My assistant ,Eli, has been helping me all day.🙄
Wife grilled us some Ribeyes for lunch...awesome.

Will be doing it again tomorrow.

Jim

I have been taking it easy due to the cold dismantling the old laser printer. Lots of shafts gears screws aluminum copper brass to feed the stock shelves. Bunch of switches quenching lights and solenoids.

The switches came in handy when Eden visited and wanted to do experiments. I have a set on Snap Circuits she has found interesting and is at the point where she can experiment and predict what will happen. She experimented with the switches from the printer predicting what difference she expected. The idea of an OR gate she picked up on quick. Next time an AND gate.

There was a nice event while she worked when she asked "How did you get so smart?" It just don't get better than that!

I also got a call from an old associate that owns an engineering firm in Canada. He has a project coming his way that may have some tight timing requirements that is outside his wheel house. I may end up developing or consulting on the architecture for control software. Developing architectures from a technical specification is one of the things I miss now that I am retired. But in this situation I will not have to support the engineers doing the development. It could be a win-win for both of us.

I still have another day of stowing the printer fodder and clearing debris in the basement where the archery gear. On that note...

That room will also contain:
Battery bank
Chargers inverters
Backup generator
Bicycles and
Water barrels

Re:water barrels

I have 2 50 gallon water barrels as well as pumps but I think I can expand to 6 barrels if I build a rack to store the barrels horizontally instead of upright.

Have anyone built or figured out how to devise a rack for storing 50 gallon barrels of water horizontally?

I am thinking that I will have plenty of 2x4 2x6 and 2x8 from the remodel project that would be basically free. I may have some old school angle iron but probably not enough for 6 barrels.

So what have you done?

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Ben

It don't get much better than seeing the better half or children beam like that.

Happy wife happy life.

You done good!

Re: rechargeable lights or the corners...

The Princess had me install one the backdoor so she could find her key. Between the extreme cold and jostling from door closing... the hot glue holding the PCB with the LEDs in place.

I used contact cement to fix it.

Ben

10’ between rafters. Figure it would take longer to hang long chains level then run Stringers. Plus I want to keep as much clearance as possible. At my age working at 9’ would be better then at 12’ plus.
Can you post pictures?

10' between centers?

Ben

Back