What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B51FD89D-3FE7-4BE2-B6E5-33BE7F8314DA.jpeg
This is my set up. Stall on left is roost built in as well as ladders for those who won’t share. Right stall has nesting boxes built in on 2 levels. Electricity in storage room to run heat lamps. Put a large horse trough in storage as a broody area to raise chicks. Current occupancy is 2 roosters and 22 hens. Water line outside pen on right. Basically lays west to east. 10-14 eggs a day. Picture is a year old

View attachment 83381This is my set up. Stall on left is roost built in as well as ladders for those who won’t share. Right stall has nesting boxes built in on 2 levels. Electricity in storage room to run heat lamps. Put a large horse trough in storage as a broody area to raise chicks. Current occupancy is 2 roosters and 22 hens. Water line outside pen on right. Basically lays west to east. 10-14 eggs a day. Picture is a year old
Excellent!

We are restricted but that is an excellent form.

Ben

Fencing. All the T-posts are up on my cows pasture and about 1/5 of them are up for the new steer pasture. Fencing takes FOREVER......
Fencing is an every year chore. I'm going to start fence repairs tomorrow. I rode about a mile of fence yesterday and that section doesn't look too bad. I'm going to start replacing some of the old corners with new railroad ties.

Fencing is an every year chore. I'm going to start fence repairs tomorrow. I rode about a mile of fence yesterday and that section doesn't look too bad. I'm going to start replacing some of the old corners with new railroad ties.

We bought 12 acres behind our house that wasn't fenced and 22 acres adjoining our steer pasture that isn't fenced. Its not the fence that takes all the time. Its the forest/underbrush that's where the fence needs to be.

Got up this morning and watered plants. The wife and I were talking last night and she was talking about her fathers garden log/journal, she says she wished she had it and that I should keep a Journal on the garden and other activities that I do to so the kids will be able to see them later. The more I think about it the more I like it. I have tried a lot of stuff and some worked, some didn't, having a record that was not grid dependent might not be a bad thing. I ordered a batch of composition booklets to start the process. It is 25F now and expected to get to 38F later today so working outside is not likely.

0643 and it's 34°. Probably have a long day ahead of me working at that derailment site in Northern Iowa. The track has been restored to 25 mph but it needs to have all the joints welded and be surfaced at least once and probably 2 or 3 times before it can be released for 50mph. If the dispatcher lets us have the track we'll be out there all day...

Took my brother to the courthouse for his trial on a bs misdemeanor charge that shouldn't have been brought. Statue of limitations was up 2 years ago & when he'd called to check on the case they said it wasn't in the system. He was told he'd be allowed to request an attorney. That didn't happen. They wouldn't let him have one and he had to represent himself. The complainant lied his a$$ off in court. I just about blew a gasket and had to fight the urge to shout that he was lying. Bailiff saw me getting worked up. Judge didn't even listen to my brother's testimony. Claimed the prosecution proved their case beyond reasonable doubt even though the cop somewhat corroborated what my brother said, but then got nervous when the DA shot him a nasty look and changed his tune to say he didn't remember.

My blood pressure is waaaay too high right now. Brother decided to get in my friend's car and go with him when I stopped to visit and he basically told me to go pound sand when I asked WTHeck I was supposed to do while he hung out with our friend. So I came home and am trying to calm myself down. Trying to find out if he can get a court appointed attorney for an appeal. But was told he needed an attorney to file an appeal. He doesn't have any income so there is no way he can pay.

I was going to do yardwork but it is too hot outside and I'm waaay too agitated.

Welp...the dispatcher gave us three hours to work, but when we got out on the tracks the receiver for the laser alignment quit working so we didn't really get anything done.
They just fixed the tracks crossing the highway in my area. It had gotten rather rough and jarring to cross. Now, people don't have to slow down to 80mph anymore, they can just continue on and cross at their normal 115mph. Thank you railway workers!

Took some of mom's junk to the thrift store, picked up our mail, went to the amish place for lunch with husband. Then went to our little store for strawberries, they got a truck in Saturday night, but they were already out. Found a few other buys on cake mixes and malt o meal while I was there. Have been busy this afternoon repotting vegetable sprouts. I feel like Urban. Ha.

I'm happy to see that they're starting construction on the grocery store across the alley from my home. But I'm not happy that they've closed my street for the construction. They put a chain link fence across the street and both sidewalks so I can't get to main street.

I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for when the store starts hiring. My daughter needs a job and working in a grocery store right next door to me is about as perfect as it gets...

Latest posts

Back