What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sweet and sour sauce the wife made was a hit, just like candy :) We have been eating for the past 2 nights, 1 more night and we will be out of the meat and the rice, so yes it did work out. The wife used a recipe and then changed it (a lot) removing all the salt and changing the proportions to her taste.

Yesterday, the wife roasted turkey in her new deep lodge skillet, then I deboned it and sliced up all the meat, today the wife will bag it for the freezer. We are using it as protein in salads. Next, she wants to do roast beef.... The plan is to have a supply of sliced turkey and roast beef where we control the salt as much as possible, plus the deli meat was getting EXPENSIVE, the last batch was close to $15 per pound....

Well my morning is shot, need to get to work. Have a great day.

We finally got out of the hole around 1:00 and traveled almost 65 miles south. It took 3 1/2 hours and it'll be another hour until we get back to the depot, so we'll get a couple hours OT for basically doing nothing. We're staged for a project tomorrow in a little town north of Des Moines. Got a new switch and a couple track panels to install. It'll probably be a big clusterflop of a job...

Federal owned RR?

For the sake of peace I will not ask if union.... ;)

Federal owned RR?

For the sake of peace I will not ask if union.... ;)

I believe all railroads in the United States are privately owned. I'm sure the Uncle has some kind of stake in them, but all the major ones are traded on Wall Street except for BNSF which is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffet's conglomerate.

And yeah, all 7 major railroads are union. There are several different unions represented - I'm in the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division of the Teamsters - and it's required for employment. No choice.

Rained maybe .25" today.
We got 3" yesterday! Garden is happy--weeds too.

Will walk first after feeding dogs.
Get box from grill out for trash pick up.
Walk dogs.
Get new laptop hooked up to printer.
Starting a new Bible study tonight.

Ok,@hashbrown , your in trouble now....it's raining here again.
You suppose to send me good weather.😒

Wife is taking middle granddaughter shopping today for prom stuff. I'll pass.

Gotta hang the doors for the closet in the utility room .Wife got it all painted yesterday. Looks good to me.

Now gotta start on other side.

Do y'all know that when I'm done with that end of the room....IM DONE WITH INSIDE THE HOUSE. Only took me 6 months. If I was 20 years younger, woulda took me 6 weeks...maybe.

My little world is about to get much better.

Hope y'all are doing well today.

Jim

Hope my state has a similar program, I'll check on that. I have one that is a nuisance.

I wish they did the same for multiflora rose. Its a real problem, it chokes out native species.
I wish I could remember the details...

Had a forestry agent tour our private forest and the multflora rose. Pointed out some reddish discoloring of the leaves saying it was a fungus that kills multiflora.

Then under her breathe with a wink she said "I am not allowed to recommend you spread it to control multiflora rose."

Ben

Fully intended to be seeding turnips and planting onions and potatoes today, but the wind is knocking me down. Did get the animals done, the garden watered as it is, and a bunch of mammoth head sunflower seeds planted while I was watering. I use the seed to sprout for chicken feed. So, will be doing more seeding inside on my work table.

Work on the remodel house has been on hold so I have beem working toward turning a back porch into a greenhouse. But that porch is filled stuff including a lot of archery gear. Decided I would consolidate all of archery equipment into a room in the basement. But like the porch it was full of stuff. Oh bother.

Some stuff just waiting to be tossed but there was also electronics that I can't put out for the trash but rather have pay to recycle it. Forget that! I have tools and am not afraid to use them. So I spent a couple of days disassembling them harvesting components that will feed my machine shop and metal casting plans.

So today I was able to focus on the basement room and made a dumpster run to get of a pair of sinks I don't see myself using. Got to a point where I now have decide if I deal with the rest if the junk or do I starting moving the archery gear in.

20220406_161525_HDR.jpg

I am leaning toward finishing the cleaning.

Ben

I'm having a lazy day. Kidney stones kicking around and I'm feeling tired. I might still try to do something productive.
I need to take a package to UPS but hey would be closed by the time I get up there. Might just call them to schedule a pickup. Package has to go out no later than tomorrow.

Ben, I'm glad you're harvesting parts to re-use instead of just dumping stuff. No recycling stuff here so people dump their appliances out in my area. Someone was encouraging me to do the same with my fridge (that should still be working) but I hate when people do that so its a no. I need to finish cleaning it up and then haul it out to the porch. Need to clear stuff on the porch first.

Ok, that's it . I'm too darn old to work non stop , from 9am to 5pm.
Only taking breaks every 30 minutes. I CANT MOVE.

Got the bifold doors hung and adjusted on her new closet.
Go drywall hung on other side, and mudded. 1 more sheet to go , behind washer and dryer.

Then lay new laminate flooring....IM DONE.

Jim

Ok, that's it . I'm too darn old to work non stop , from 9am to 5pm.
Only taking breaks every 30 minutes. I CANT MOVE.

Got the bifold doors hung and adjusted on her new closet.
Go drywall hung on other side, and mudded. 1 more sheet to go , behind washer and dryer.
View attachment 83966

Then lay new laminate flooring....IM DONE.

Jim
Looks good Jim, now take you a long break and rest a while.
im glad you got that done off the honey-do list.

Today I am cooking pulled pork for dinner Bible study tonight. I always cook the main course and everyone else brings side. We eat the have class
If you ever need advice on massive but empty plate meals, holler at me! ;)

Today started early, on a break now. Yesterday I took to the hair place, always eats up the afternoon. I wanted to get some supplies in but the forecast said rain so I'll have to wait till tomorrow... FYI it's not raining :(
I want to get the garden structures all prepped for installation, I need to cut and paint the new swing arms, install the bug netting on the big cage, and then I can start moving some plants outside.
My son is coming in on Sunday and then he as a friend flying in on Wednesday and he wants the house presentable before they arrive. That will mean that I have to do a lot of extra work. :(
Break's over, have a great day.

Multifloral rose used to be here everywhere, I haven't seen any in several years. I think the farmers took care killing it out.
I have a couple you can have come and get them.
My complex will be concreting over them in the future.
I have transplanted some of the Daffodils, Hibisucs, Tulips into flower pots.
Need to get small round stock tank for roses though that can sit on top of concrete.
Most of my neighbors are upset about them concreting over everything.
Not me, I'm out there with measuring tape in hand.
Driving small stakes in the ground will have approx 48 new raised beds for gardening areas.
From the front door to the back door.
I'm pretty sure that's not what the complex had in mind, turning bad situation into growing space for me.

Fully intended to be seeding turnips and planting onions and potatoes today, but the wind is knocking me down. Did get the animals done, the garden watered as it is, and a bunch of mammoth head sunflower seeds planted while I was watering. I use the seed to sprout for chicken feed. So, will be doing more seeding inside on my work table.
Must be what we had yesterday.

Just talked to banker. Going to buy a new bull tomorrow. Maybe a replacement heifer or bred heifer too. Selling bull, two older cows and a calf at sale on Saturday. This should pay for expense’s tomorrow. Looking at a Beefmaster or Charlois bull. Young, fully tested and I would agree to either. Prefer the BM looks over C but conformation is good on both. Disposition of them is to be seen. The man said they are gentle. Banker said he will cover check for me. Pen cows and sort in morning. TR picking them up at 9 to take to sale. Moving forward. Have to pick up feed today.

Ben, I'm glad you're harvesting parts to re-use instead of just dumping stuff. No recycling stuff here so people dump their appliances out in my area. Someone was encouraging me to do the same with my fridge (that should still be working) but I hate when people do that so its a no. I need to finish cleaning it up and then haul it out to the porch. Need to clear stuff on the porch first.
Anything metal can be sold for scrap. People will steel metal anything from empty buildings here and take it to the scrap yard. One of my regular driving routes is on the way to a scrapyard. I see all kinds of people hauling stuff on bikes, wheelbarrows, and other ways of transporting it on the way to the scrapyard. People even list stuff on Craigslist to have someone come get it for scrap.

Waiting on the water tank on the hill to fill back up.
So I can have water pressure again.
Making a pot of coffee this morning is interesting to say the least.
Have Va Doctor appointments tomorrow for me.
Cleaned a few peoples plows yesterday concerning Dad.
Oh well, they should have been oldest instead of me then.
Dad is feeling pretty damn good.
Matter of fact he's feeling so good, we booked him a fishing trip to Stockton.
That's coming up in two weeks.
I'm probably not a real popular person in my family now........
Ask me if I care.
Dad and I can get in trouble pretty easy if we try, and it's not very hard I might add.
We took a trip to Branson last week.
Picked up his new "toy" Jaguar.
Sister in Texas is having a cow.
It's his money let him spend it.
Get a job, quit waiting on him to pass.
If I have my way, she won't inherit anything from him.
And I will pretty much.
Told him he was reliving every young man's or woman's dream.......
He had Stingray Coverette, now he has Jaguar.
Still has his truck.
So I asked if "Porsche" was on the list next.
Told him about my experiences with Porsche.
I owned one in Germany when stationed there.
Candy apple red, black leather interior.my little size 4.5 foot on the gas pedal, on the autoban, no speed limits.......gone....
He laughed said no Porsche for him.
Said he had some thinking to do about the next purchase.
But he didn't say what the next purchase would be as of yet.
But I'm game with what ever it will be.
Probably more so than the others.
Just don't want him to have any regrets of what ever time he has left.
So if I'm the bad guy so be it.
It's not like I haven't been the black sheep in the family before.
Get over it. Move it on down the line.
Don't really give a rat's behind what people think.
I try to live life on my terms to heck with anyone else.
Reading forums, sipping coffee...
Will be picking up new cleaning job Monday.
One of my clients fell and broke his hip outside last weekend.
So won't be needed there for a while.
So slide Dad into Hank's slot instead.
Hank cheats at checkers by the way.

Last edited:
Anything metal can be sold for scrap. People will steel metal anything from empty buildings here and take it to the scrap yard. One of my regular driving routes is on the way to a scrapyard. I see all kinds of people hauling stuff on bikes, wheelbarrows, and other ways of transporting it on the way to the scrapyard. People even list stuff on Craigslist to have someone come get it for scrap.
Before we spun them off as an independent company, we had a division out of the Vegas area (Boulder City). You literally needed an armed person living on site 24/7, preferably with large dogs, to make sure your manufacturing plant will have a scrap of metal in the morning - including the wiring in the walls...

Before we spun them off as an independent company, we had a division out of the Vegas area (Boulder City). You literally needed an armed person living on site 24/7, preferably with large dogs, to make sure your manufacturing plant will have a scrap of metal in the morning - including the wiring in the walls...
I had an assistant who lived in not the best of neighborhoods. She told me there was an empty apartment building close to her where all the metal had been stripped--gutters, downspouts, pipes, you name it.

Latest posts

Back