What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In South Dakota, that is called goulash. Like sloppy joes, different names in different places.
Goulash will always make me think of my mom. She used to make goulash when she couldn't think of anything else to make. And she used some type of weird macaroni that had little lengthwise ridges on it. It was so good! Except for the time she was out of tomato sauce and she used pizza sauce instead. That didn't work so well...

Goulash will always make me think of my mom. She used to make goulash when she couldn't think of anything else to make. And she used some type of weird macaroni that had little lengthwise ridges on it. It was so good! Except for the time she was out of tomato sauce and she used pizza sauce instead. That didn't work so well...
I think we had it about once a week when I was a kid and everyone liked it. Ours was always made with elbow macaroni. I would have thought that pizza sauce would have been good in it, but maybe with some cheese in or on it would have helped.

We use low carb, high protein tortillas the most. Usually once a week. Husband is diabetic and can tolerate those better. Also black rice. He tolerates that better than white.
We survived the junior prom dress shopping at the mall almost an hr away. She just needs it hemmed, and will be good to go in three weeks. Getting ready to go to my favorite cousin's place for family dinner. We've been busy, and I haven't seen her since last week.

@Amish Heart I don't put rice in my tortillas. I wish I could. I like rice, but it's just too much carbs for me. I have to go easy on the refried beans too. Mexican food in general is hard on my blood glucose.

Usually low carb breads suck. These tortillas were a pleasant surprise. The fact that they were cheap from Aldi's was the icing on the cake.

Well, I'm not everyone but I say good evening to you as well.

Well most of the work we wanted to get done is done. We are both tired and fixing dinner was the last straw for my back. My loving wife is upset because I hurt myself but I heal quickly.
She is more upset that I made dinner for her and didn't tell her I was hurting. I will be special to her and let her get frustrated before I attack. That always makes her feel better or confuses her. ;)
We are coming up on 21 years of honeymoon without a cross word to each other. Lots of affection in public or at home. We even had a young couple make a nice remark when I opened her car door and took her hand to help her out and then kissed it. It's a shame they don't see more of that.

We went camping yesterday and back today - so quick trip, but wonderful, peaceful, and much needed. We could have used a couple more days up there. No service. I shut my phone off and put it in the closet (we have a little trailer.) We saw elk on the way and while we were sitting by the fire last night. Hubby only caught a white fish and one other, but no steelhead.

We went camping yesterday and back today - so quick trip, but wonderful, peaceful, and much needed. We could have used a couple more days up there. No service. I shut my phone off and put it in the closet (we have a little trailer.) We saw elk on the way and while we were sitting by the fire last night. Hubby only caught a white fish and one other, but no steelhead.
Sometimes it doesn't take much! Ya'll need to plan a longer get away!😊

Good morning all!
Mowing again today. Took a few much needed days off. New knives on the mower. Hopefully knock this field out today. Will see when I get there how thick it is. Worst case two days. Going to be warmer today so fire hazard is up. Means less time mowing “safely”.
Hope y’all have a good day!

I've been housesitting since Thursday, in the neighborhood where daughter used to live. I have several clients in this neighborhood and have stayed in several homes here. I have some clients that I see their dogs every week for dog park visits. The house I'm in now, is a twin design to another client's home, but flipped. This morning, my phone rang, and it was the other client whose home is a twin to this one. She was walking her dog past this house and the dog was going crazy. She was trying to figure out what was wrong and then saw my car. Her dog smelled me, knew I was here! This particular dog goes crazy when she sees me. She has hurt me by jumping on me due to her excitement and damaged some of my clothing. I normally don't have company or other animals when I house sit, but I had thought it would be great for her to see this house, the twin to hers. Of course, her dog went crazy when she saw me. The dog in this house is a Newfoundland and was happy to have a visitor, even if it was only for a few minutes.

Reporting back later.

Got last skim coat of mud on.
Got the light and switch done.
Got the racks and shelves in. Winter clothes mostly.
IMG_20220404_165543949.jpg

One more shelf to go in left end. Quarter round tomorrow. Hang bifold doors. Wife will paint everything.

THen I gotta start other end , which is just drywall , no building .

im so T A R D , tired I could F A R T , faint.

Jim

Last edited:
Glad your husband is home, Snappy. Bet that's a relief.
The laundry room looks excellent, Phideaux.
I did survive mom getting her ID at the DMV today. Finally had all the papers they wanted, second time there. Planted two dozen strawberry starts and 2 grape vines (concord seedless). Didn't get much else down except the laundry and cooking. Where did today go?

Glad your husband is home, Snappy. Bet that's a relief.
The laundry room looks excellent, Phideaux.
I did survive mom getting her ID at the DMV today. Finally had all the papers they wanted, second time there. Planted two dozen strawberry starts and 2 grape vines (concord seedless). Didn't get much else down except the laundry and cooking. Where did today go?

My grandpa always raised concord grapes, they would can grape juice I really dont remember how they did it but I believe they put about a half a quart of grapes in a jar with sugar and water and hot bathed the jars and waited a certain amount of time to drink it. It was very good and he also always made a couple of gallons of wine out of them. I remember exactly how to do that!

We have one large grapevine that produces well, and I canned 55 quarts of grapejuice just like you said, Hashbrown. That was last summer, haven't gotten around to using them yet, but that's ok. That grape was a seeded red grape. Pretty tasty, but don't like the seed much. To use them canned, I was told to mash down the grapes and put the whole thing through a strainer and drink that.
Mama kitty just had 5 kittens! The kids are very excited! They are in the basement in the catbed down there. They look like tiny little mice. 3 grey and 2 black.

Wish me luck, I have a new client to clean for today! She is an older lady who "needs" but does not "want" help! I have avoided her for two years! She has run off all other cleaning people in the area! Two of her friends that I clean for asked me to PLEASE try to help her! So I am going to attempt to clean for her today! Maybe it will be a great thing?? Never know 'til you go!!!

Yesterday was a bust, didn't get much accomplished. I tried to clean up and widen the walkways in the garden area, I got about half done. I made the list of things that I want from home depot to update the lids on the raised beds and to add shelves inside the area that I plant to bug proof. But I slept in and don't have time to go before work starts. I may try this evening if it isn't raining.

I ordered 5 things ( 3 of 1 item, 2 of another, all ordered together) to update my solar installation, 1 arrived Sunday, 1 arrived Yesterday... The other 3 should be here by next week, I could understand getting 2 deliveries but to split the stuff all up and have each item being delivered on a different day seems stupid to me...

Good morning!
Will do an exercise video first--rain and storms.
Walk dogs later if possible.
Really don't have anything else on my list, so hang out with DH.

I bought a new propane grill Saturday and my neighbor helped me put it together Sunday. Wow! It took over 2 hours. The schematic looked like something the coyote would build with ACME parts! Got it together finally. Not sure what has been holding my old grill together. It is about 12 years old. LOL

Latest posts

Back