What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want elderberry so bad. Hoping maybe we can get some planted when we move.

I read your post about elderberry. Afterwards I went to check on a place loaded with medicinals, just down the road. I saw a dozen elderberry spouts about 6" tall, 20ft from a paved road... Elder isn't hard to find, I see it growing wild everywhere in these parts, can be a nuisance.

Anyway, finally starting to get over going to the mountain, feeling almost decent today.

elder sprouts 01 2a.JPG

I read your post about elderberry. Afterwards I went to check on a place loaded with medicinals, just down the road. I saw a dozen elderberry spouts about 6" tall, 20ft from a paved road... Elder isn't hard to find, I see it growing wild everywhere in these parts, can be a nuisance.

Anyway, finally starting to get over going to the mountain, feeling almost decent today.

View attachment 83699
In CA most nurseries don’t even sell it anymore. They only sell non fruiting decorative elderberry. Didn’t even know that was a thing. Found a private little nursery that sells rooted cuttings for $30 each but very limited supply each year. When I finally found them we were already looking to move so figured why bother while here. Haven’t knowingly seen it wild to date.

In CA most nurseries don’t even sell it anymore. They only sell non fruiting decorative elderberry. Didn’t even know that was a thing. Found a private little nursery that sells rooted cuttings for $30 each but very limited supply each year. When I finally found them we were already looking to move so figured why bother while here. Haven’t knowingly seen it wild to date.
There are places where you can purchase elderberry online. Stark Brothers is a place where I have ordered some great trees and bushes. I know that California has some restrictions on what can be brought into the state. I remember that from crossing into California from Arizona once.

There are places where you can purchase elderberry online. Stark Brothers is a place where I have ordered some great trees and bushes. I know that California has some restrictions on what can be brought into the state. I remember that from crossing into California from Arizona once.
That’s one thing I’m trying to find creditable information on. Both plants and animal transport out of CA.

Nice, but you might want to consider some 1/4 inch hardware on the outside of those panels, at least in Ohio there is a bunch of critters that will come through the panels you have :(

Not many daytime critters like that here that can get there head through a 2 inch hole.

Last edited:
Not many daytime critters like that here that can get there head through a 2 inch hole.
Here either, but dusk can be problematic if you are are little late, been there a time or two. Teddy the aussie shepard chased a weasel that was getting uppity and wanted a chicken 6 times it's size :(. Only happened once in 9 years. The chicken drug that weasel over to the back walkout and was giving it the business till Teddy and I came out.

Here either, but dusk can be problematic if you are are little late, been there a time or two. Teddy the aussie shepard chased a weasel that was getting uppity and wanted a chicken 6 times it's size :(. Only happened once in 9 years. The chicken drug that weasel over to the back walkout and was giving it the business till Teddy and I came out.

I've only seen one weasel here in my life, I caught it in a steel trap when I was a kid. I remember thinking it must be rare and would bring a lot of money. The fur buyer gave me $1 for it's hide, If I would have known that I'd have cut him loose.

I've only seen one weasel here in my life, I caught it in a steel trap when I was a kid. I remember thinking it must be rare and would bring a lot of money. The fur buyer gave me $1 for it's hide, If I would have known that I'd have cut him loose.
I've only seen 1 also, the one latched onto my chicken and getting it's butt kicked.

Picked up mom this afternoon and took her to our little town for some thrift store shopping and an ice cream sundae. Back to our place with her for a bit, then brought her back home. She introduced me to the nurse on duty (again) and her neighbor, Janice (again). Janice has dementia, too, but surprisingly remembered me from before. Mom introduces me to everyone everytime I come to visit. It's the same people I met before, but oh well. Planning our outing to the big city mall tomorrow. Will bring the scooter for husband to get around. It's an hour out. Granddaughter is shopping for a junior prom dress.

Snappy, I hope your husband will be OK. Sending virtual hugs your way.

HB, 2" is enough for snakes to get in. They sometimes come out in the day and can slip through into the main chickenhouse and consume chicks and eggs. I know it costs more to get more wire, but better safe than sorry.

I wrangled puppies, rested, and cooked and that was about it. I need to do some cleaning tomorrow.

It's Sunday, so will be good this morning and not get too dirty before church, have a lot of things I want to do, I may try to plant beans and modify the tomato growing area.

Looked at the weather forecast and got a scare, then realized that I was looking at the daughter's house in Laramie WY... I was trying to figure out where all those 20s came from.... I'm good to go, nothing below 35F in then next 2 weeks.. :)

My daughter is coming for lunch. She gets to choose her meal, so she chose from her childhood.n macaroni, tomatoes with ground beef and onion.

Gluten free pasta for her.

Then I am going to have her help me dig a hole for my homemade safe. I'm not going to store it right now, but I'm getting ready. We have lots of rock so finding a place 6' long will be a challenge.

Emptying out all the beef bones, chicken feet, chicken and turkey carcasses and and fats filling up one of the big freezers and processing them. I am out of freezer space and it's warm enough to crack some windows today.

While stuff is simmering, I will finish nailing down the hardwood floor in the bedroom I have been working on this winter.

Last edited:
I just looked at raspberries. It says they cannot ship to California. Maybe that is true for all of their products. Where do people in California get their nursery stock?
Is there any chance you have a friend over the border and could get deliveries there?
A boullion dealer suggested that to us when I cringed at the amount of sales tax due NY that many other states don’t collect.
In California, is getting caught having it a major no no? And maybe a better question, is there valid reasons for restrictions?

Was up early for no reason. Showered, shaved, woke the kid up and drug her to church. It was an especially good service today, and I saw several people from our town who don't normally attend our services. Afterward my daughter wanted to have breakfast for lunch so I made scrambled egg and sausage burritos with low carb tortillas. The tortillas were OK, first time using them, and I'll probably keep using them because regular tortillas just skyrocket my blood glucose.

Nothing much planned for the rest of the day. If it quits being wet and miserable outside, we'll clean the SUV and then play dominoes and maybe have popcorn and a movie...

Latest posts

Back