What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening everyone!
Just getting home from mowing/weed eating. Very long day. Finally done with one facility. Thinking I’ll take our weekend off to spend with hubby. Tonight’s his Friday. Hope it an uneventful weekend. Saw the neighbor is back from Mexico today. Praying he’s quiet.
Hope y’all had a good day!

Didn’t do a lot this morning, outside everything was soggy from 2 inches of rain. Went down in the bottoms this afternoon with a cousin. The dam on the old cow pond needs repairs and he has an excavating business. Did a lot of walking trying to plan a route for equipment. Of course I saw a few spring medicinal plants. May apples were everywhere but didn’t see a single morel mushroom :(. Bout to call it a night...

Between the high winds and the light rains yesterday by 7PM it was almost 70F with about 80% humidity, the inside of the house was just below 80F and the wife was not liking that. It's her own fault because she baked bread. Anyway, I ran out and pulled the emergency cover off the baby beats (because for a week we were seeing 20F nights and daytime highs below 40F). About 8PM I heard the thunder, and then the sky just opened up for a couple of hours, it was just rain but it sounded like rocks hitting the metal shed..... The design of the new solar array got good bad weather test yesterday. When the sun comes up I will do a quick walk around.

Update, everything is fine, some limbs down but all the plants are fine.

Last edited:
Granddaughters have school, grandson has his tattoo artist job shadow day, so we need to drive him there. Also needs to get fitted for a tux for junior prom in a few weeks while we're in town.
Hard shelled turkeys are pipping, but not hatching. Drives me nuts. Two chicken chicks hatch, though. I had thrown in a couple of those eggs to fill it.

Granddaughters have school, grandson has his tattoo artist job shadow day, so we need to drive him there. Also needs to get fitted for a tux for junior prom in a few weeks while we're in town.
Hard shelled turkeys are pipping, but not hatching. Drives me nuts. Two chicken chicks hatch, though. I had thrown in a couple of those eggs to fill it.
I'm not a fan of tattoos, but these days that may be a good career choice. People will pay high dollar for tattoos instead of things they need!

We just started a few chicken eggs in the incubator. We saw the old rooster doing his thing with one of the ladies so collected the eggs the last 6 days. Not expecting success but trying anyways. The eggs under the broody hen weren’t fertile.

Already walked.
Paid bills.
DH has emergency doc appt. this morning- really struggling to breathe. I'll update later after appt.
This afternoon, need to grill pork chops and give one pup a bath.
Do a little weeding.
Sending prayers to you both. Hope they get him breathing well quickly and it’s nothing serious.

Have to go clean one of our AIRBnB's, then pick up hay. Then home to clean the corrals and main pasture now that it's dry...... Horseshoe playing after that, then a workout (?) This evening will do pork ribs BBQ, one of our sons is visiting... :) so margaritas may/will be in order. Fun day!

How much more do you have left @phideaux ?
Oh, I only got one end almost done.
Then I gotta move washer and dryer , shelves , racks, cabinets , dirty clothes bins (6 ) to finished end and start on that end . New drywall , mudding and painting.

Of course I only work on it 1 or 2 days a week ....

I got a life outside of utility room.,😎😊

Jim

Oh, I only got one end almost done.
Then I gotta move washer and dryer , shelves , racks, cabinets , dirty clothes bins (6 ) to finished end and start on that end . New drywall , mudding and painting.

Of course I only work on it 1 or 2 days a week ....

I got a life outside of utility room.,😎😊

Jim

Sounds like you’ll be done tomorrow 😉
I’m sure it will all be worth it when it’s done. 🙂

Sounds like you’ll be done tomorrow 😉
I’m sure it will all be worth it when it’s done. 🙂

Wife thinks so.

Knowing that this is my last rodeo, makes it a little easier.

We started out with a 19k house in 1972. Then bought and sold 3 more times , doubling or tripling my investment to get where we are today.
Last one , paid for, and done to our satisfaction(almost).

THEN we can enjoy life till our ticket expires.

Jim

Wife thinks so.

Knowing that this is my last rodeo, makes it a little easier.

We started out with a 19k house in 1972. Then bought and sold 3 more times , doubling or tripling my investment to get where we are today.
Last one , paid for, and done to our satisfaction(almost).

THEN we can enjoy life till our ticket expires.

Jim

Wife is wise 😉
That’s really nice to hear. We sure look up to you two. Hope we make good decisions like that.
If your ears were burning yesterday it’s because we were talking about you two (and a 1/2 🐶). This whole moving thing is so new to us. We’ve been paying attention all these years (sheesh how long have we “known” you now!?!) and are trying to use the knowledge you’ve shared for our home purchase. We were talking about this most recent purchase/remodel. Most places we are semi interested in are not “perfect” but we’re trying to look at potential. Unfortunately we aren’t sure what to do. With inflation and shortages mixed with high market prices and now increasing interest rates how do we buy something that needs complete remodel to be what we want/need. If we’re moving and working how do we get a remodel done or put in fences. I hear nothing but horror stories of trying to get contractors right now. We find houses we like a lot but the land would have to be cleared for pastures and fences are needed. $$$$$$$ Outbuilding need to be built. $$$$$$ We find land that’s perfect with barns and fences but the house is tiny or needs a completely rebuild and expansion. We just keep looking daily if not several times a day and hoping like you said before the perfect place just jumps out. I believe we have the right realtor and if it’s meant to be she will make it happen for us. Trying to be patient but it’s hard. Would have expected to find something by now.

I'm having trouble with turkey eggs...shells too thick. Increased humidity, but no luck yet. I'll let them go a couple more days. Hard to get a good hatch rate in cold weather, so I might have more luck a little later. 2 chickens hatched, and picked up the 8 goslings at the post office this morning. They are very soft.

Wife is wise 😉
That’s really nice to hear. We sure look up to you two. Hope we make good decisions like that.
If your ears were burning yesterday it’s because we were talking about you two (and a 1/2 🐶). This whole moving thing is so new to us. We’ve been paying attention all these years (sheesh how long have we “known” you now!?!) and are trying to use the knowledge you’ve shared for our home purchase. We were talking about this most recent purchase/remodel. Most places we are semi interested in are not “perfect” but we’re trying to look at potential. Unfortunately we aren’t sure what to do. With inflation and shortages mixed with high market prices and now increasing interest rates how do we buy something that needs complete remodel to be what we want/need. If we’re moving and working how do we get a remodel done or put in fences. I hear nothing but horror stories of trying to get contractors right now. We find houses we like a lot but the land would have to be cleared for pastures and fences are needed. $$$$$$$ Outbuilding need to be built. $$$$$$ We find land that’s perfect with barns and fences but the house is tiny or needs a completely rebuild and expansion. We just keep looking daily if not several times a day and hoping like you said before the perfect place just jumps out. I believe we have the right realtor and if it’s meant to be she will make it happen for us. Trying to be patient but it’s hard. Would have expected to find something by now.

I hear you.

We left a 4000 sq ft house in WI, on 5 acres, to buy the farm in KY , in 1997. We made a good profit on that sale. Enough to pay off the farm and build a 2000 sq ft house with all barns and outbuildings. All paid for.
Stayed there 25 years. Sold it for enough to buy this smaller farmhouse with 1200 sq ft on 1st floor and about 600 sq ft upstairs and full basement. I originally planned to hire everything , remodeled, but couldn't get anybody to do it.
House was definitely livable , but not us. So this old man took the bull by the horns , and I'm done ,(except that stubborn room)6 months.
later.
Still had enough dollars left over to live nicely for as long as we are allowed.

Yes we have been friends for close to 15 years I think. I would never give you any BS. I don't know your financial ability, how much your farm is worth , how much you could invest in a civilized part of the world. But you ain't nobody's dummy , so just keep looking till you find a place , move in ready or a fixer upper , that will not put you into financial trouble.

Maybe , seriously get people on here to look and report them to you.
I would , if I thought you would want to move to KY.

We ARE due east of Branson MO.
About the same climate, and property is very high in areas around the lakes , but 5 miles away from lakes , it's reasonable.

Wish I could help you in some way , get outta there.

Jim

Last edited:
I hear you.

We left a 4000 sq ft house in WI, on 4 acres, to buy the farm in KY , in 1997. We made a good profit on that sale. Enough to pay off the farm and build a 2000 sq ft house with all barns and outbuildings. All paid for.
Stayed there 25 years. Sold it for enough to buy this smaller farmhouse with 1200 sq ft on 1st floor and about 600 sq ft upstairs and full basement. I originally planned to hire everything , remodeled, but couldn't get anybody to do it.
House was definitely livable , but not us. So this old man took the bull by the horns , and I'm done ,(except that stubborn room)6 months.
later.
Still had enough dollars left over to live nicely for as long as we are allowed.

Yes we have been friends for close to 15 years I think. I would never give you any BS. I don't know your financial ability, how much your farm is worth , how much you could invest in a civilized part of the world. But you ain't nobody's dummy , so just keep looking till you find a place , move in ready or a fixer upper , that will not put you into financial trouble.

About the same climate, and property is very high in areas around the lakes , but 5 miles away from lakes , it's reasonable.

Jim
I hear you.

We left a 4000 sq ft house in WI, on 4 acres, to buy the farm in KY , in 1997. We made a good profit on that sale. Enough to pay off the farm and build a 2000 sq ft house with all barns and outbuildings. All paid for.
later.

Jim
Be careful DoubleR, Phideaux is trying to get you to move to KY to finish that utility room for him!😁😉 He's already quit working on it, he's chatting on HCL instead! Next he'll tell you to come "visit", bring your tool bag😀,lol!!

Be careful DoubleR, Phideaux is trying to get you to move to KY to finish that utility room for him!😁😉 He's already quit working on it, he's chatting on HCL instead! Next he'll tell you to come "visit", bring your tool bag😀,lol!!
Your right , I'm done for the day in that room.

Yuck.

@Double R , let me tell you this.
This farmhouse I bought, was never with realtors. I bought if from a tiny little sign , for sale by owner, in the front yard.

My farm , was never with a realtor, word of mouth , people found out that I bought this house and figgered I'd be selling the farm. Hadn't planned on it for 2 years till this one was done.
But , couple finally talked me into letting them come look at the farm. I gave in , but when they asked me how much , I wasn't ready to sell , so I gave them a price 100k above what I thought it was worth.
2 hours later they called and said ok and cash.
I had to move quickly.

What I'm trying to tell you is ...don't rely totally on realtor.
People sell a lot by owner.

I see it often.

PS..and do bring your tool bag.

Jim

If it's got a reasonable shop building, move into that or install one and move into it. No, it might not be strictly kosher but many people do it anyways.

The land, fences and out buildings before house. Move in ready will cost more than it's worth in a bidding war.

To me, new siding such as vinyl on an older house is just a warning of a cover up of the worst kind. A fixer up in all it's falling down money pit glory is better than a pig with lipstick hiding the problems.

You learn do it yourself and give yourself permission to take the rest of your life to do it.

Dream houses are just dreams for most of us. We swore when we last moved, we were done with renovations. Guess what we are still doing?

I hear you.

later.

Jim

Hard to believe it’s been that long! That does sound right though. Time fly’s. We have always greatly appreciated all the advice and support.
I’m trying to keep the faith. There’s a plan I just want it to hurry up 😂 Thankfully I’m blessed with my hubby and we work well together. We have a little difference of what we’re thinking but I truly believe we will agree on a place and what potential it has. I get frustrated because we’ve been looking for (what I consider) so long and haven’t found anything fitting that isn’t already pending/sold or extremely high priced. However it’s quite confusing with listings having poor pictures or no pictures and not updated listings in a timely manner. Some says pending or contingent that aren’t even for sale anymore. I know we will eventually make it work. We’ve secured financing so just waiting for the “right” place.
Other than looking at listings we’re working on planning a trip out to see areas etc. We have some VERY generous people who’ve offered a lovely place to stay while we’re there. Don’t know why they are so nice to us but we’re blessed to have them.
It will work out. Just VERY ready to move on with life. Feels very stagnant here.

If it's got a reasonable shop building, move into that or install one and move into it. No, it might not be strictly kosher but many people do it anyways.

The land, fences and out buildings before house. Move in ready will cost more than it's worth in a bidding war.

To me, new siding such as vinyl on an older house is just a warning of a cover up of the worst kind. A fixer up in all it's falling down money pit glory is better than a pig with lipstick hiding the problems.

You learn do it yourself and give yourself permission to take the rest of your life to do it.

Dream houses are just dreams for most of us. We swore when we last moved, we were done with renovations. Guess what we are still doing?

We are lucky to have someone who’s offered to look over any places we’re interested in and giving us an honest “what’s wrong” with places. Saved us extra trips out to look.
We’ve noticed a lot of “fixes” in listings that made us immediately say no. Also hidden things on properties not in the listing yet show up on maps.
I am sure there will be some remodels just not sure gutting an entire place is the right thing for us at this point. But who knows. Like you we may.

Nope. Never gut a place, one room at a time if you need to live in it. Take care of roof, electrical and plumbing issues. The rest is cosmetics. Houses with big structural and foundation problems get assigned to Hashbrown and Neb.

The place has to have good bones; something you can work with.

Nope. Never gut a place, one room at a time if you need to live in it. Take care of roof, electrical and plumbing issues. The rest is cosmetics. Houses with big structural and foundation problems get assigned to Hashbrown and Neb.

Everyone of my properties required work. One didn't requiring rewiring and new plumbing. The rest did.

Re: plumbing and rewiring
If done right, no one will ever notice.

By going with handyman specials, I only had one mortgage payment in my life and we paid that one off early because we felt dirty.

By doing the work ourselves, the money that would have been mortgage payments went in the bank.

We did the same thing for my son's place. 39 years old and no mortgage or rent payment.

Keeps me out of trouble and The Princess always knows what I am up to.

BTW
My father did 2 handyman specials as well.

Ben

Hopefully I’m not getting myself in hot water by saying this but Hashbrown is the wonderful man who’s offered to look over places and be honest about what he sees. We’re truly blessed to have him and his wife helping us. It took a load of worry off us that we won’t be going out a dozen times to see places that aren’t realistic. It’s a long trip (and costly these days) so it’s taken a huge load of worry off just knowing we have them there.

Everyone of my properties required work. One didn't requiring rewiring and new plumbing. The rest did.

Re: plumbing and rewiring
If done right, no one will ever notice.

By going with handyman specials, I only had one mortgage payment in my life and we paid that one off early because we felt dirty.

By doing the work ourselves, the money that would have been mortgage payments went in the bank.

We did the same thing for my son's place. 39 years old and no mortgage or rent payment.

Keeps me out of trouble and The Princess always knows what I am up to.

BTW
My father did 2 handyman specials as well.

Ben

Wise words. We hope to not have a Morgage very long ourselves. We like to be debt free. Generally if we can’t afford it we don’t have it. Part of what is so scary about a house purchase.

Latest posts

Back