What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I took a trip to the flea market and came home with a ladder and a wooden stove. How exciting! Then, we gathered as a family to discuss our future plans, which include the big move out of South Carolina. The plan is to make our move after my daughter graduates high school this coming May. Until then, we're busy doing all our research on which state to call our new home.

Went to town to grab a few things and get out of the house. I found pork butts on sale so I made off with one of those. It will get smoked next Friday or sat.

Made two gallons of pasta sauce for the freezer. Sat on the porch with husband and roasted Big Jim peppers. Got them steamed, peeled for the freezer, and ended up with three more qt bags. Filled the freeze dryer with tomato puree for powder. Still have lots of tomatoes...maybe make some more pasta sauce tomorrow.

Another exhausting work on the old house day. Both brothers were here and we got a lot done. New sump pump line installed. All the meticulous trim around the new basement windows finally finished. Another dozen or so boxes packed and hauled out to the pod. Small freezer emptied, defrosted, and hauled out of the basement onto the trailer. Bookshelves taken down in the spare bedroom; of course now I have to go back and patch the wall. Tomatoes are falling off the plants and I can see some critter has been in there chewing on them but I have absolutely no time to take care of the garden. The most I can do is grab a few as I go by and have tomato sandwiches for lunch.

Took the wife this morning to order her birthday present. We had been house sitting a carved wooden bear for my sis for a few years. She decided she wanted it back, so it left a hole. We both enjoyed it. So the wife wanted a new one. We found a guy that is carving one to what she wanted. Pick it up Monday.
Got home and I went out and did a few things. Finished mowing, including around my raised beds. Got done right as a storm moved in. We never got rain tonight, but some intense lightning for a little while. Wife fixed a pork tenderloin in the air fryer (DAMN IT WAS GOOD) and some taters and salad. Went and sat on the porch till after dark. Came back in and watching a couple of ball games.
Productive day all around

Today. I will go to Church.
Walk dogs.
Break up, bag and re-freeze breaded okra.
Cook some green beans that I found in freezer to go with an ear of corn and pork steak for dinner.

I've started writing to a friend in the military- She is in Kuwait or somewhere like that. 55 years old and still being deployed as an RN. She wants to hear about our life when we were full time RV'ing. I need to find the letters I wrote about them and add them to my monthly letters. Not sure if I will find them today or not.

You all have a wonderful Sunday!

My in-laws have a rancher in Montana. They had a basement put in, not sure how that worked...seem happy with it.
We live here in montana and realy enjoy our half basement (the whole basement is half depth), cooler in the summer and warmer when the temps go down to -30.
We are built on old rock so everything stays level, altho our house was only built in 1979.

Yesterday I finished the dog kennel then met our son up at the lake. He's coming up today after work, he's surveying in the area about 70 miles away. I'm thinking about smoking one of our chickens for dinner.
I need to rewire my boat trailer so we can take it out this week. The dang dog pulled all the wiring out trying to get at a chipmunk.
Need to dig some more on the trench for the conduit.

Fighting ants.There were hundreds coming in through kitchen door last night. Vacuumed up and sprayed vinegar and sprinkled cinnamon over threshold. Left work this morning and went to Ace. Got some Demon WP and mixed it up. Sprayed outside perimeter of house and looked for ant mounds in yard. Couldn't find any. We have never had problems with ants in the past. Might be the heat. It was right at a 100 at 10am. Probably took 70 phone calls today, it sucks to be in insurance right now. Premiums increases and reduction of coverage.
we use Diatomacous earth, non toxic for people and pets. it will kill ants. We have ants that will swarm trees and use aphids as tiny milk cows or something.... sprinkle some of the white powder and it gets in their exoskeletons and causes dehydration and they die.

Going to sisters to babysit the kids for a few hours so she and brother in law can have some kid free time. After that I'll be working on school assignments and chores. Sometime this week I need to climb the windmill and grease the brake hinge.

Day three of my three day weekend. Coincidentally it’s also day three of thunder lightning and heavy downpours. Just means I’m getting the inside stuff done. Also playing more with the fleece that I’ve been spinning up for that sweater project.

Today, I took a trip to the flea market and came home with a ladder and a wooden stove. How exciting! Then, we gathered as a family to discuss our future plans, which include the big move out of South Carolina. The plan is to make our move after my daughter graduates high school this coming May. Until then, we're busy doing all our research on which state to call our new home.
I'm curious about how long you have lived in S.C. and why you want to move? It seemed to me for a while, that many people that I knew were heading to the Carolina's, but many are moving away from them now. I'm curious about what is causing this.
Went to town to grab a few things and get out of the house. I found pork butts on sale so I made off with one of those. It will get smoked next Friday or sat.
Tis the season for pork butts! In Colorado, people will cook them up and use them in green chili. I know someone who spends a few weekends this time of year making tamales and green chili for the upcoming year. We are talking about dozens of tamales for the freezer and gallons of green chili.

Now I'm going to go look for pork butts, because the roadside Hatch green chili stands are open. Daughter is unavailable for a couple weeks, but when she is, we will likely do a purchase together and make up some batches.

I'm curious about how long you have lived in S.C. and why you want to move? It seemed to me for a while, that many people that I knew were heading to the Carolina's, but many are moving away from them now. I'm curious about what is causing this.

Tis the season for pork butts! In Colorado, people will cook them up and use them in green chili. I know someone who spends a few weekends this time of year making tamales and green chili for the upcoming year. We are talking about dozens of tamales for the freezer and gallons of green chili.

Now I'm going to go look for pork butts, because the roadside Hatch green chili stands are open. Daughter is unavailable for a couple weeks, but when she is, we will likely do a purchase together and make up some batches.
I have lived in South Carolina for 20 years after retiring from the Navy.

Ugh. Fire ants are the worst! They have been known to kill people who are bedridden or have mobility issues. I hope you can get rid of them!

Cooked for Mom. She got up super early. There was some back and forth where I tried for 30min to get her to tell me what she wanted to eat and I almost gave up. She wasn't paying attention & then started to get mad that I couldn't read her mind. Settled on something and she was happy.

Went to Walmart & got everything on the list. Insurance wouldn't cover the syringes she wanted but the ones she wanted were under $14 out of pocket while the ones her insurance covered had a co-pay of $30. So, I got the kind she wanted.

Put away all the groceries and will be getting up to do some cleaning after I rest. I get tired out way too easily.

Away for the weekend. My daughter had bought me tickets to a show for my birthday a while back, and after it stayed at my s-i-laws house afterwards. I'd need to take out a mortgage to stay in a city hotel nowadays. We sat up all night talking, then went to visit my Dad. When we arrived home a friend of husbands arrived, and the two of them went and bivyed in the woods, and are just home. This morning was woken extra early, because my son heard thrashing around the kennel and thought my dog was taking a seizure ( he used to have them) so as I was up did a load of batch cooking to use up the fruit and veg laying around. Cooked apple for pies, then used the peelings and soft red fruits to make a few jars of jelly. Made Carrot and coriander soup, and potatoes and leek. Veg done for dinner and mince pie made. Tonight I'm teaching a writing workshop, and tomorrow I start back in Uni :D

Walked first.
Waiting to go to regular doc appt. in a few minutes.
Stop at Family Dollar on the way back--walking to appt.
Have second load of laundry washing.
Have a couple of things to look for (in the house).
Cook something for dinner.

I hope your pup is ok @Magpie . I hate seizures!

Dropped truck off for the third time to get the brakes fixed
Went shopping
Now making pasta for a very late lunch

the gummies I made yesterday turned out great, slept really well after taking a half a one

No rain today so everyone is out in the pasture and staying out , the barn was a mess this morning after a day of rain yesterday

Latest posts

Back