What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much of anything I guess. too much to do and no idea where to start, I'm a camel buried under a mountain of straw.
I hate that feeling. If it helps, I usually pick a small task that I know I can get through, or tell myself it’s okay to do a piece of a larger one and not worry about completing more than that one step. Any momentum is better than none, right?

I haven't left the camper in a week. No energy, no care, nothing. Doc says it's my "phantom PTSD and depression, but we can't figure out where the PTSD came from and I have no reason to be depressed, I don't feel depressed, in fact, I'm kind of OK, but I have all the symptoms of someone about to walk in front of a truck. I'm NOT going to walk in front of a truck, nor do I have the desire to!

I guess I'll work on my Urban weapon load-out kit post and that will be it.

Sometimes depression just happens for no reason. It’s a vicious little beast. The only real medicine I’ve found for it is activity, ideally with accomplishment. Of course, it makes you want to not be active. Vicious little beast.

Might be worth noting that covid (yeah yeah I know) also leaves people feeling no-energy no-brain exhausted. I know you haven’t left the camper in a week, but it is possible you might be actually physically sick without showing other symptoms.

Looking forward to seeing your post!

@jishinsjourney I used to live where we used oil furnaces for heat and to heat the hot water. Do you mind if I ask what your rates are? We would usually fill the tank at least twice during Maryland winters. Got to the point where we couldn't afford to fill it and would have it filled halfway. Hundreds of dollars for it.

@jishinsjourney I used to live where we used oil furnaces for heat and to heat the hot water. Do you mind if I ask what your rates are? We would usually fill the tank at least twice during Maryland winters. Got to the point where we couldn't afford to fill it and would have it filled halfway. Hundreds of dollars for it.
I don’t mind, but our furnace is gas, so I don’t think it’d be comparable?

Our current gas rate is $0.339 / therm, proposed $0.47/therm next quarter. We use a little more than average because we installed a gas dryer, back when gas was cheap and electric was expensive. /:

I haven't left the camper in a week. No energy, no care, nothing. Doc says it's my "phantom PTSD and depression, but we can't figure out where the PTSD came from and I have no reason to be depressed, I don't feel depressed, in fact, I'm kind of OK, but I have all the symptoms of someone about to walk in front of a truck. I'm NOT going to walk in front of a truck, nor do I have the desire to!

I guess I'll work on my Urban weapon load-out kit post and that will be it.
I learned that sometimes things that happened in our lives come back to haunt us in years to come, sometimes seasonally. The 4th of July was when my mother was sick, and died shortly after. I have to be aware of what happens to me around that time every year.

Just took the trencher back to the rental yard. It's about a 6 hour round trip. I've got much better things to do, but at least the smoke isn't too bad down here. I just stopped for lunch at a little drive in on my way home. I ordered a bacon cheese burger for myself and a plain burger for my little friend Tracker (German shorthair). Back on the road now, about 2 hours to home.

Two doc appts for husband today, and time to come home for lunch in between. Son is working on a redo of the big greenhouse. Wishing husband's arm and hand swelling would go down, but so far, nope. And his left leg is still weeping. Alot. Don't know why, but it's all on his left side. They gave him double lasix. They gave him pain pills, so he's out for the count now.

Hope the double lasix helps Amish!! We just lost a huge tree not too far from the back of the house! The severe drought taking it's toll on the big trees!! Thankfully it fell towards the woods, part of it is caught in another tree! It's firewood, but will making for sketchy work taking that one half down!! All went pretty good grooming the fat old dog today. He can't stand up for long so I had to work with him how he was comfortable. He really enjoyed the bath afterwards!!

Wow! You are multi talented, Pearl.
Always good for side money. I know the dog was happy not to have to leave his house! 🐶 I used to groom two dogs years ago that were kicked out of many groom shops. They were better behaved having it done at home!!

Back in the greenhouse today. The existing shelves are a mess.

20230926_140001_HDR.jpg

This wall is what attention yesterday.

20230926_140021_HDR.jpg

After shuffling a drying rack to the basement and bringing in the galvanized raised bed in from the front porch I finished clearing that wall the new shelves were assembled and fit nicely in that space.

20230926_162614_HDR.jpg

Tomorrow should be a lot of sorting and moving stuff to the new shelves.

That should be fun and satisfying.:)

Ben

Might be worth noting that covid (yeah yeah I know) also leaves people feeling no-energy no-brain exhausted. I know you haven’t left the camper in a week, but it is possible you might be actually physically sick without showing other symptoms.
This has been going on for a few years. No idea what it is.

Things got mixed up a few years ago when I switched from spring lambs to fall lambs. But I've never intentionally tried to lamb more than once a year. My customer focus in this case is the buyers at my local auction.

The buyers prefer large and uniform bunches of lambs. There's a premium paid for that and that is what I try to provide. I've been advised time to time that I could improve my profit by selling direct.

Eliminating the middle man? But the unfortunate part of my personality is that it's typically a strain on me to deal with people. I do so much of that selling hay, that I feel used up, exhausted and often disturbed from some new and absurd circumstances? I've sold direct in the past and decided that for me it just isn't worth the extra headache...
You wouldn't like selling at the farmers market.....I talk to people all the time there. But yeah, it's tiring. I wouldn't want to do it every day

We lamb in March, it's not usually super cold here by then and we have nice large lambs from the previous year to send to the meat processing when the market starts up in spring. We kid in April, it's easier to not have ALL the animals give birth the same time.

Picked up the little ram today, well , not too little, he should be big enough to do his job ( produce more lambs :)
Did some shopping at Aldi. I don't mind shopping there, I can get everything I need and only spend $100 or so unlike going to walmart and spending way more
Went to 3 different places to look for a lost tractor part ( a little piece of metal that attaches the plow to the 3 point hitch) and it couldn't be found the right size anywhere. Husband will need to order it online

Chilly this morning, then rain, now clear and nice 😊. Hubby just saw the fur demon get a bird 😖. I haven’t checked the back step yet to see if she left us some.
Been cleaning and organizing trying to get canning season wrapped up and readied for the upcoming winter- not ready yet. I’m okay with a gentle autumn 🍂
Been reading in my old magazines and enjoying them immensely- yeah, I’m a nut.

Well, got my tractor back this afternoon, took 2 months to get repaired. Not to happy with time but my only other option was hauling the tractor myself to columbus ms for repairs.

$192 - 8 gallons of hydraulic fluid
$85 - pto seal
$73 ** labor, including picking up tractor here and delivered when done
$350 - total…

Not happy with the hydraulic fluid he used either, price $120 per 5g can. I brought him a 5g can of the 303 hydraulic fluid which is fine for older tractors, price is $60 a can. I told him if he needed more I’d bring it to him, just call. Instead of calling me, he used 8g of the pricey hydraulic fluid at twice the price, $24 a gallon.

At least now I can start on the late summer bush hogging. Need to go down in the bottoms, completely grown up. My cousin couldn't get his big tractors down there.

Just a little tv tonight.

20230926_trac33.jpg

Well, got my tractor back this afternoon, took 2 months to get repaired. Not to happy with time but my only other option was hauling the tractor myself to columbus ms for repairs.

$192 - 8 gallons of hydraulic fluid
$85 - pto seal
$73 ** labor, including picking up tractor here and delivered when done
$350 - total…

Not happy with the hydraulic fluid he used either, price $120 per 5g can. I brought him a 5g can of the 303 hydraulic fluid which is fine for older tractors, price is $60 a can. I told him if he needed more I’d bring it to him, just call. Instead of calling me, he used 8g of the pricey hydraulic fluid at twice the price, $24 a gallon.

At least now I can start on the late summer bush hogging. Need to go down in the bottoms, completely grown up. My cousin couldn't get his big tractors down there.

Just a little tv tonight.

View attachment 116752
The dealership has had Hubby’s pickup for over 3 months 🙄. It’s so frustrating.

At least now i can address the hydraulic quick disconnects on the tractor. They leak but with the pto seal leaking i couldn't tell how badly. I think 2 need replaced (of 4). While i'm at it... the hydraulic pump in the old ford tractor needs to be rebuilt... again. Seems to be the year for fixing hydraulics.

20230926_trac47a.jpg

Chilly this morning, then rain, now clear and nice 😊. Hubby just saw the fur demon get a bird 😖. I haven’t checked the back step yet to see if she left us some.
Been cleaning and organizing trying to get canning season wrapped up and readied for the upcoming winter- not ready yet. I’m okay with a gentle autumn 🍂
Been reading in my old magazines and enjoying them immensely- yeah, I’m a nut.
@LadyLocust Lady, I'm trying to get rid of stuff and just gleefully threw away a mother earth news issue with the top article about the best tomatoes! I really need to pare down what I've got hidden away. If I haven't read it all this time, then I likely never will.

@LadyLocust Lady, I'm trying to get rid of stuff and just gleefully threw away a mother earth news issue with the top article about the best tomatoes! I really need to pare down what I've got hidden away. If I haven't read it all this time, then I likely never will.
There aren’t many magazines I enjoy anymore. These articles were written by real folks about everyday happenings so pretty nice. Also easy to read due to short length rather than a book. I currently have a box to go to donation that has some magazines. I often buy them at thrift shops for 2 bits or less, read them then donate them right back. Much cheaper than buying them at a store.

There aren’t many magazines I enjoy anymore. These articles were written by real folks about everyday happenings so pretty nice. Also easy to read due to short length rather than a book. I currently have a box to go to donation that has some magazines. I often buy them at thrift shops for 2 bits or less, read them then donate them right back. Much cheaper than buying them at a store.
Reminds me.

Sea story time!

There was a top notch boot black near the barber at Norfolk naval base. He had a comic book side gig across from his shine station. We would buy and read comics while waiting our turn. He would buy them back at a discount and restock his racks. Quite the racket.

I learned a lot abot polishing footwear from him. Still serves me to this day.

Ben

Got the tree unhung from the other tree....... That is THE MOST REDNECK SOUTHERN THING I HAVE EVER SAID!!! I am tired, but that's no excuse, I totally just freaked myself out!! But anyhow, we did it!! Two chainsaws and a farm jack, 20 minutes, it's all laying on the ground!! No injuries!👍😃😉 I'm going to bed! Big work day tomorrow!! See y'all at coffee time!!

Latest posts

Back