What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about half way through lambing. Going well with 17 running around and butting heads!

"next year will be better."

"that's what makes us farmers. We always think we can do better!"
hahaha, yep! Next year....lol

Do you lamb twice a year? Once is enough for us. We are about to go get a ram to breed ours, so they will be do close to spring here

I really don;t want to drive anywhere today . My arms are a little sore from loading and unloading 100 bales of straw yesterday. We were going to get a ram but I think it will have to wait a day or two
House needs cleaning bad...Pearl I need you!!! I just don't seem to find the time, but need to at least clean the kitchen before I bake bread this coming weekend

Happy Anniversary Lady L and Mountain Trapper!!

Have a safe trip and hope your husband is ok Amish, wow, that's a very long trip to the doctor. Hope there are no car problems either

I really don;t want to drive anywhere today . My arms are a little sore from loading and unloading 100 bales of straw yesterday. We were going to get a ram but I think it will have to wait a day or two
House needs cleaning bad...Pearl I need you!!! I just don't seem to find the time, but need to at least clean the kitchen before I bake bread this coming weekend

Happy Anniversary Lady L and Mountain Trapper!!

Have a safe trip and hope your husband is ok Amish, wow, that's a very long trip to the doctor. Hope there are no car problems either
You can pay me in bread♥️♥️

Today is our 12th anniversary
Happy Anniversary!
Yesterday was our 33rd anniversary.
Happy Anniversary!

@Amish Heart , I hope you have a safe and productive trip with DH.

Already walked this morning.
Came back and saw that someone bashed our mailbox again. Third time. We will probably reinforce it this time.
Have laundry going.
Will set up DH's pills for the month.
Not sure about anything else.

Safe travels @Amish Heart
Happy Anniversary to all the lovebirds @LadyLocust homesteaders and @Mountain trapper homesteaders.
Trying to decide if I’m going to save myself money and change the lightbulb myself or save myself time…and spare my fingers and have a mechanic do it. It requires removing part of the car to change a freaking bulb. It happens way too often. Usually a friend does it.
Also need it inspected, yearly thing in Texas if it’s not an antique. Lol
@snappy1 i guess next you’ll be having to build a stone housing for your mailbox.

Belated happy anniversaries, @LadyLocust and @Mountain trapper ! Sending best wishes for you and your husband, @Amish Heart — hang in there, good luck with the drive.

Today’s PT for me, and laundry and remaining groceries. I don’t think I’m getting to canning today, but maybe tomorrow. Flagged the lawn sprinklers for the guys who are coming to aerate tomorrow. Fingers crossed next year we will have less lawn.

Happy Anniversary to all the lovebirds @LadyLocust homesteaders and @Mountain trapper homesteaders.
Trying to decide if I’m going to save myself money and change the lightbulb myself or save myself time…and spare my fingers and have a mechanic do it. It requires removing part of the car to change a freaking bulb. It happens way too often. Usually a friend does it.
@snappy1 i guess next you’ll be having to build a stone housing for your mailbox.
I think we will go with iron bar reinforcements. DH fixed it with zip ties and a hammer. He may not want to do anything until it's so bad that he can't fix it.

All of our vehicles are now old enough to only require the 7.00$ safety inspection!😃

I think we will go with iron bar reinforcements. DH fixed it with zip ties and a hammer. He may not want to do anything until it's so bad that he can't fix it.
This has worked so far.

20230508_152736_HDR.jpg

Ben

I made a steel liner for a mailbox for a friend once, some of the locals would wreck it at least once a month, one night he was sleeping when he heard a car slow down, then a whack and a blood-curdling scream! the next day he found a broken ball bat and the kid down the road showed up with a broken arm. funny thing huh?

I made a steel liner for a mailbox for a friend once, some of the locals would wreck it at least once a month, one night he was sleeping when he heard a car slow down, then a whack and a blood-curdling scream! the next day he found a broken ball bat and the kid down the road showed up with a broken arm. funny thing huh?
It's been said in other thread and applies here: Stupid should hurt.

No trip for husband today. He woke up at 3am and his arm and hand were very, very swollen. Looked unreal. So we went to ER this morning, got home around lunchtime, and cancelled the Colorado appts. He's already on bloodthinner, so not much to do about the clot they found. Don't know why his arm swelled up now, since the clot is not new, and due to the midline he had awhile back. So he is bummed. But our son is here, so that's good.

No trip for husband today. He woke up at 3am and his arm and hand were very, very swollen. Looked unreal. So we went to ER this morning, got home around lunchtime, and cancelled the Colorado appts. He's already on bloodthinner, so not much to do about the clot they found. Don't know why his arm swelled up now, since the clot is not new, and due to the midline he had awhile back. So he is bummed. But our son is here, so that's good.
Thank you for the update! Hopefully someone can give you answers!?! Glad your son made it in safely!!

Reset the greenhouse today. It was and is a disaster. One wall was being used for storage. Things like casting for four steam engines, shoe anvil, etc. Half of has been cleared. There are two new shelves waiting to fill that wall. Things that don't need light will go there.

Tomorrow should more greenhouse projects.

Ben

The county snowplow operator had a problem with one of my neighbors years ago. He would put the wing down and "accidentally" hit neighbor's mailbox post every winter. Jim complained to the county but nothing ever happened. Finally ol' Jim had enough. He welded 6" steel pipes in an L shape, filled a 55 gallon drum with concrete, and set the long pipe in the drum. When it cured, he buried the drum completely underground and mounted his mailbox on top.

Next winter the plow jockey came along with the wing out. They said you could hear the collision from a mile out. The plow stopped dead. It mangled the pipe and bent the hydraulic cylinders on the plow wing. The plow operator went pinballing around the cab and got bruised up pretty good. The county tried to hang Jim for repairs to the plow, but he had documentation of the complaints for hitting the mailbox. The county settled for him simply removing the drum in the spring and promising his mailbox wouldn't be hit ever again. As far as I know, it never has...

Tuesday is the last day of my work cycle. It's been raining in the Twin Cities for a couple days so work has been a muddy mess. I'll be headed out for the 3 1/2 hour drive home by 4pm. Then I have 6 days off. I'm taking at least three days vacation next cycle to take my daughter and two of her friends to Kansas City for their Renaissance Festival. I need to either get two hotel rooms, or a suite with separated sleeping quarters so the girls have privacy from me. I'm afraid to know what that'll cost...

Tuesday is the last day of my work cycle. It's been raining in the Twin Cities for a couple days so work has been a muddy mess. I'll be headed out for the 3 1/2 hour drive home by 4pm. Then I have 6 days off. I'm taking at least three days vacation next cycle to take my daughter and two of her friends to Kansas City for their Renaissance Festival. I need to either get two hotel rooms, or a suite with separated sleeping quarters so the girls have privacy from me. I'm afraid to know what that'll cost...
I would try to get a suite. The girls will have both privacy and safety that way. Bonus would be the little kitchenette. I haven't been to the NY Renaissance Fair in decades.

hahaha, yep! Next year....lol

Do you lamb twice a year? Once is enough for us. We are about to go get a ram to breed ours, so they w
Things got mixed up a few years ago when I switched from spring lambs to fall lambs. But I've never intentionally tried to lamb more than once a year. My customer focus in this case is the buyers at my local auction.

The buyers prefer large and uniform bunches of lambs. There's a premium paid for that and that is what I try to provide. I've been advised time to time that I could improve my profit by selling direct.

Eliminating the middle man? But the unfortunate part of my personality is that it's typically a strain on me to deal with people. I do so much of that selling hay, that I feel used up, exhausted and often disturbed from some new and absurd circumstances? I've sold direct in the past and decided that for me it just isn't worth the extra headache...
ill be do close to

Cooking for the week today — roasting a ton of veggies and making up a chile relleno casserole. If time permits I’m either canning or housecleaning. So exciting. :p

Had the furnace inspected and all is well, hooray. Unsure when the lawn aeration is happening, but sometime today.

Latest posts

Back