What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the hunt for some good ol' black salve. My grandma always had a little jar of this stuff that was made by a local country doctor back in the 1960s. That stuff was kind of nasty, but put it on for 48 hours and any splinter or sliver in your skin would pop right out. Even when her jar was 50 years old, it worked like a charm.

So, last week I got a metal sliver in my palm at the base of my right index finger. I thought I got the sliver out right away, but apparently a little bit was still in there and now there's a tiny painful lump. It's deep enough I don't want to cut it unless it's a last resort. Anybody got any recommendations for a drawing salve that actually works?

You all are not going to believe this, but fresh cow poop mixed with honey or sugar will draw out a deep access.

You all are not going to believe this, but fresh cow poop mixed with honey or sugar will draw out a deep access.
I do not have access to fresh cow poop at this time. I will not have access to fresh cow poop at any time in the foreseeable future, either. And if someone grants me access to fresh cow poop, I will politely refuse!🤣

Regardless of drawing ability, I have an issue with putting feces on any type of breach in the skin. It just seems like a good way to introduce harmful bacteria into the system...

Friday 13th
friday.PNG

Husband's having a bad morning, pain in his shoulder and he can't use it. So pain pills, and helping him just get around. Hard to use a walker if you can't use an arm. We are having wind storms today, so no outside work today, but animals are done till later. Little granddaughter does not have school today, so thinking of stopping into our little town with her in a while and checking out the thrift store, and checking the mail. Have some work to do in the basement, too. Emptied the dehydrator of tomatoes, and filled it up again.

Today I started to get serious about installing the transfer switch...

20231013_142958_HDR.jpg

Next to the other service entrance.

20231013_142946_HDR.jpg

I only got some planning done before I should think about more of the details. Installing a backing board for the switch will be pain. So I decided to go play in the shop some more.

Ben

@squirrelhunter, is there anywhere in between the ATV and the roots that you can set up & secure a pulley block? You can run the cable for the winch through it and it should give more leverage.

1697232019578.png

Somewhere up higher than the roots and the ATV.
I take it you don't have a truck or other vehicle for the winch?

Had a salad and searched for where the plug for my UPS plugs in. It's under a desk & table. Will have to shut down my computer, clean off the table, and move it to get to the wall outlet.

On the upside, I received my $50 gift card from Mistplay and applied it to my Amazon account.

Waiting for Mom to tell me she wants something to eat.

@squirrelhunter, is there anywhere in between the ATV and the roots that you can set up & secure a pulley block? You can run the cable for the winch through it and it should give more leverage.

View attachment 117699

Somewhere up higher than the roots and the ATV.
I take it you don't have a truck or other vehicle for the winch?

Had a salad and searched for where the plug for my UPS plugs in. It's under a desk & table. Will have to shut down my computer, clean off the table, and move it to get to the wall outlet.

On the upside, I received my $50 gift card from Mistplay and applied it to my Amazon account.

Waiting for Mom to tell me she wants something to eat.
No there's no place to put a pulley, it's in the back yard. I do have a pick up but it's sort of a tight fit with the angle and the house, garage,shed gas tank and grape arbor all surrounding it. I'm giving up on it for this year it's getting to late in the year and I don't want it to start into a rainy season and then cold weather like it does quite a bit around here, you just never know. I've got a tile ready to come out and Monday I'll go get some PVC pipe and put a clean out in and see if I can look up the pipe with a flashlight and mirror and run the snake up it again then fill everything back in and hopefully it lasts until next Spring.

Spent the day scrapping brass track and removing tie plates from the Garden Railroad track. just a bit more track to recycle, then the pressure treated roadbed comes up for disposal. 25 years outside just (REDACTED) everything.
I got all of my fathers track after he passed. I have it in storage waiting for the time to build my garden railroad.

Ben

I got a surprise today 😁. There’s a fella we’ve done work for who has sorta become a friend. He is to wood and cabinetry what we are to metal. He made this gorgeous cutting board for us and gave it to us today I already told Hubby he can’t cut on it 😂. That’s a joke (sorta) I do have a few things that I take extra special care of. This will be one of those items.
image.jpg

Baked bread but not as much as usual since it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I hope the market doesn't get rained out totally. Last one till Christmas market
Got a call from my brother that our dad is in the hospital , heart issues. He has had them for a while now and they are to a point where they can't do much about it.
Took dogs for a walk, leaves are dropping off the trees fast now, winter is definitely coming but it was nice and warm today

Spent the day scrapping brass track and removing tie plates from the Garden Railroad track. just a bit more track to recycle, then the pressure treated roadbed comes up for disposal. 25 years outside just (REDACTED) everything.
ok stupid question but what do you mean by Garden railroad track? A real train track in your garden? Why is it there?

I got a surprise today 😁. There’s a fella we’ve done work for who has sorta become a friend. He is to wood and cabinetry what we are to metal. He made this gorgeous cutting board for us and gave it to us today I already told Hubby he can’t cut on it 😂. That’s a joke (sorta) I do have a few things that I take extra special care of. This will be one of those items.View attachment 117706
Awesome board. VERY NICE inlay work. Very precise.

Whoops just realized thats not inlay. Still very nice

I HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY A PRAYING MANTIS! I was going to start a thread, "what haven't I been bit by", but it wasn't worth the two seconds!! FYI, Lady Bugs bite!;🤔😉
I got bit by a brown caterpillar while doing yoga outside, didn't know those things bite
but praying mantis ? And yes lady bugs do bite

Latest posts

Back