What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quiet day, over cast. Trip to town to get dad's prescriptions this afternoon. I took one of dad's cars. Think he's hit a curb and warped a rim since the last time i drove it. It's got a bad shake between 20-30mph. Guess i'll take it to be repaired/replaced next week. Watching tv this evening.

@Patchouli tried to get a pix. All the little light spots are bugs not dry spots on the leaves.
IMG_6345.jpeg

I got a surprise today 😁. There’s a fella we’ve done work for who has sorta become a friend. He is to wood and cabinetry what we are to metal. He made this gorgeous cutting board for us and gave it to us today I already told Hubby he can’t cut on it 😂. That’s a joke (sorta) I do have a few things that I take extra special care of. This will be one of those items.View attachment 117706
It was made to be used so use it.
Think of the man every time you leave a mark on it.
I do agree it is very pretty and he did a great job and I would hate to put the first mark on it but I would use it.
Let your husband use it first then you can glare at him when you look at the mark he left.:p
If something is utilitarian then I use it. I only put things up if they are made to just look at.
It's like guys that buy classic cars, park them in a garage and only drive them on special occasions.
Who are they saving them for?

I am waiting for the first frost to kill off all the bugs. We have millions of little flying insects and more flies than I have ever see around here.

It was made to be used so use it.
Think of the man every time you leave a mark on it.
I do agree it is very pretty and he did a great job and I would hate to put the first mark on it but I would use it.
Let your husband use it first then you can glare at him when you look at the mark he left.:p
If something is utilitarian then I use it. I only put things up if they are made to just look at.
It's like guys that buy classic cars, park them in a garage and only drive them on special occasions.
Who are they saving them for?

I am waiting for the first frost to kill off all the bugs. We have millions of little flying insects and more flies than I have ever see around here.
I will use it. 😊. I agree. Things that are made to use get used. I also use antique linens in my bathroom and antique tools all over. They’re made to use and to last if properly cared for.

I got all of my fathers track after he passed. I have it in storage waiting for the time to build my garden railroad.

Ben
When you are ready, Paul Race has a fabulous website and newsletter. Family Garden Trains<sup><small>TM</small></sup> - Your First Stop for Garden Railroading Fun Next year, after we finish moving, I will start over with an elevated layout, I dislike crawling around on my hands and knees now.

You need any rolling stock, yell, we can make arrangements :D.

2020-11-08.jpeg

1697249847942.png

Little granddaughter and I went to the thrift store and found a few treasures. Tablecloths for me, because I'm a sucker for them. And cheap, too. Then to the amish discount grocery for a few things. Husband needed his prescriptions picked up in the bigger town, so we did that, and picked up 500 lbs of feed, since it was nearby the pharmacy, and a drive from our place. They had clearance baby chicks that were getting bigger, so I brought home 6 barred rocks for $1.70 each, not that we need them, but oh well. We have two brooders full of cornish in the dining room, so added another brooder for the barred rocks. Unloaded all the feed with granddaughter's help. Came back in to help husband, came out of his office, and stopped dead in my tracks. I honestly thought little granddaughter was playing a joke on me with a rubber snake. She wasn't. So blocking my path, and on his way to the brooders was a five ft long rat snake. Black. Ugly. Ugh. Little granddaughter was closest to the front door, and went to the garage and threw me the snake grabber. That bugger was strong, and hard to keep hold of. I walked him out of the house, going down the walkway, and neighbor was there giving "Bets", the horse some grain...she nearly fainted. Anyway, relocated the big thing down the road a bit. Hope it doesn't come back, or I'll have to chop off it's head.

Little granddaughter and I went to the thrift store and found a few treasures. Tablecloths for me, because I'm a sucker for them. And cheap, too. Then to the amish discount grocery for a few things. Husband needed his prescriptions picked up in the bigger town, so we did that, and picked up 500 lbs of feed, since it was nearby the pharmacy, and a drive from our place. They had clearance baby chicks that were getting bigger, so I brought home 6 barred rocks for $1.70 each, not that we need them, but oh well. We have two brooders full of cornish in the dining room, so added another brooder for the barred rocks. Unloaded all the feed with granddaughter's help. Came back in to help husband, came out of his office, and stopped dead in my tracks. I honestly thought little granddaughter was playing a joke on me with a rubber snake. She wasn't. So blocking my path, and on his way to the brooders was a five ft long rat snake. Black. Ugly. Ugh. Little granddaughter was closest to the front door, and went to the garage and threw me the snake grabber. That bugger was strong, and hard to keep hold of. I walked him out of the house, going down the walkway, and neighbor was there giving "Bets", the horse some grain...she nearly fainted. Anyway, relocated the big thing down the road a bit. Hope it doesn't come back, or I'll have to chop off it's head.
I would have had a heart attack!

Baked bread but not as much as usual since it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I hope the market doesn't get rained out totally. Last one till Christmas market
Got a call from my brother that our dad is in the hospital , heart issues. He has had them for a while now and they are to a point where they can't do much about it.
Took dogs for a walk, leaves are dropping off the trees fast now, winter is definitely coming but it was nice and warm today
Sorry about your dad, guessing he doesn't live close?!

I'm on the hunt for some good ol' black salve. My grandma always had a little jar of this stuff that was made by a local country doctor back in the 1960s. That stuff was kind of nasty, but put it on for 48 hours and any splinter or sliver in your skin would pop right out. Even when her jar was 50 years old, it worked like a charm.

So, last week I got a metal sliver in my palm at the base of my right index finger. I thought I got the sliver out right away, but apparently a little bit was still in there and now there's a tiny painful lump. It's deep enough I don't want to cut it unless it's a last resort. Anybody got any recommendations for a drawing salve that actually works?
It is also known as drawing salve, because it draws things like slivers, boils, and infection out of places. I have some that is more than 50 years old. It is in my big first aid kit. That is great stuff. I found some in a gift shop, maybe in Arizona and bought another tin of it.

"SOOTHING SKIN RELIEF: Globe Ichthammol 20% Ointment is perfect for treating the following: plant irritations, such as nettles or poison ivy, insect bites, stings from mosquitoes, spider, and bees, removing slivers, minor skin infections such as ingrown toenail."

When I first learned about it, I heard it called Icthammol. There is an Icthammol and that is what I have. But you can find other drawing salves. I just did an online search and there are many options of it available, in tubes or in tins.

https://www.amazon.com/Ichthammol-O...ocphy=9028771&hvtargid=pla-424802955271&psc=1

Spent the day scrapping brass track and removing tie plates from the Garden Railroad track. just a bit more track to recycle, then the pressure treated roadbed comes up for disposal. 25 years outside just (REDACTED) everything.

ok stupid question but what do you mean by Garden railroad track? A real train track in your garden? Why is it there?

@sonya123 it’s a real train in his yard. See 😁

He said garden railroad, only one i've seen was in santa clarita ca. A guy would set up his train in his garden and give little kids rides. Just at christmas, the entire cul-de-sac put on an incredible light display. The kids loved it... great light show.

I thought this was a garden railroad... 🤣

miniture-train 01.jpg
miniture-train 02.JPG

Last edited:
Today I hit the ATM machine for the wife (she pays the cleaning girl in cash), I had planned to finish getting a couple of raised beds ready for onions and garlic, but rain came in around 07:00, I did get the beds level before getting soaked... Need to get my ears lowered at 08:00 and then I plan to work in the greenhouse. I got the new exterior film on it last week and today I will be adding an interior film to create a thermal barrier.

Last edited:
Day off and a list a mile long!! Changing sheets, finishing laundry, trimming Bear's nails, vacuuming. On the outside I need to unload hay I got yesterday, drain and clean Buddy's water trough, pull up some cactus (cacti to be correct) so they don't spread, may wash the vehicles! I want to go through my freezers and get in my closet to see what jeans fit, may be needing long pants❄️! And of course taking eclipse pictures!!

I've quartered my day. This morning, a few hours in the polytunnel, then a few hours on the PC, a bit of cooking (dinner, apple cake, soup) and now about to take up some knitting and watch the rugby. The pic is of some pheasants we are minding for a few weeks.

Attachments

• 1697283452023.JPEG
    1697283452023.JPEG
    127.1 KB · Views: 0
Today was voting day for us, so we went and voted.
They divided the precinct into 2 places, so no lines and no waiting.
Walk up, sign in, and go into the booth. :)
IMG_20231014_114233_kindlephoto-1244238677.jpg

The sticker is required because my lecture to others has always been:
"If you don't vote, don't b!tch"

Georgia/Vanderbuilt game is on in the background as I got put on KP duty. Peeled and cubed a bunch 'o' taters and cut up 3 onions for the makings of potato soup. Cool overcast weather today, perfect for comfort food and Football.

Today, we ended up making casseroles, we made 4 (2 chicken ritz and 2 chicken tortilla). Right now I am steaming beets in the counter-top oven, once steamed I will peal them am with wife eats them with her salads. Tonight, we are having left over de-constructed cabbage role casserole. Hopefully, the four casseroles we made today will be wrapped and put in the freezer either tonight or tomorrow. So far I have cleaned the kitchen twice today, I hate dishes so I am hoping there is no more cooking for today. Tomorrow, I plan to BBQ some drum sticks for snacks (wife does not like drum sticks, so I can do them however I want on the grill).

With the overcast and rain the solar output is low and the battery bank is not happy, it got down to 11.8 volts so I switched the loads back onto the grid....

Latest posts

Back